Black Sharpie

Under the Full Moon

Sekyung was a gymnast. She was a good one, too. She gracefully slipped her hands around Hae’s waist and rolled over, so that he was now under her. She locked her arms so she was propped up above him. She kissed his nose.

 

“Now I win.” She smiled. Hae laughed and looked outside his window. The sun was sighing with relaxation, beginning to descend down unto the mountains, like a waitress, relieved to go home after a long day at work. Hae proposed a sunset watch. Sekyung smiled.

 

“Oh of course, oppa.” And she rolled off him so they could go outside. Walking hand-and-hand, they clomped down the stairs and out to the backyard. They began the tiring climb to the top of a hill, Donghae and Sekyung’s favorite sunset-watching spot. Panting when they got to the top, they flopped down. Grass stains were the least of their worries. Hae grabbed her hand again, and they waited.

 

The sun lit the sky on fire, with vibrant hues of orange and red. Pink lining edged the colors, adding a multicolored gradient sweeping the vast sky. Hae kissed her. She smiled. She responded. And with the final kiss, the sun sighed its way behind the mountains, dousing the fire and turning the sky blue and black. Sekyung sighed as well.

 

“That was beautiful.”

 

And Hae knew just the romantic line to make her melt. “Not as beautiful as the girl next to me.” He got up.

 

“Your dad is going to kill me if you’re home after dark.”

 

Sekyung frowned. “Don’t say that, you should hear the way he talks about you. He wishes he had a son like you. He really loves the way you treat me and stuff.” She blushed. Hae laughed.

 

“Well tell him I say thanks. But I should still be getting you home…it’s already dark.” His forehead creased. Sekyung got up. “Alright.”

 

The car ride there was silent, but not awkward at all. The lovers were simply enjoying each others’ presence, soaking up the love pulsing off the other. Hae pulled the car to a stop at the front of Sekyung’s large white house. “Thanks oppa.” She smiled. “Love you Sekyung.” “Love you Donghae.” Hae made sure her dad answered the door. He waved a friendly wave to Donghae, and he smiled back and waved. Hae put the car in drive and began the journey back home.

 

Looking up, he realized there was a full moon.

 

A full moon?!

 

Hae’s foot pressed on the gas pedal a little harder.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Hae leapt out of the car as soon as he got home. He didn’t bother trudging inside. He stepped out to the back, and there it was.

 

A wolf.

 

A beautiful wolf.

 

His beautiful wolf.

 

Hae smiled and tentatively walked towards him. He had never gotten this close before. Carefully, he extended an arm at the wolf. He opened his fingers, an inviting petting motion. Gently, he placed his hand on the wolf’s soft head. Much to his surprise, the wolf leaned into the gesture, relaxing his head and tilting it into his hand. Donghae laughed and pet the wolf with both hands. He came to a stop and crouched down before the wolf.

 

“Hi.” He smiled.

 

The wolf made a rumbling noise in its throat. It was almost as if it was responding to Hae.

 

Suddenly, Hae got an idea. He called the wolf “his wolf” all the time. But really, he loved the wolf. It was his pet. So why not show it?

 

Hae told Eunhyuk (the name Hae gave to the wolf) to wait. He dashed inside and grabbed a black sharpie marker. He grinned and crouched down. On the front left paw, he drew a neat little black star. He filled it in and smiled. Now the wolf was his.

They continued to play like that until sunrise. Hae was exhausted. Mercifully it was a Saturday. He kissed the wolf goodbye and slunk inside. He was met by an annoyed mother.

 

“Donghae. Where were you all night?!”

 

“I was with Eunhyuk.” His mother’s face relaxed. She found out about his wolf (dubbed Eunhyuk)  a few years ago. She even met the wolf…she pet it before Donghae did! She knew that Eunhyuk was very protective over her son, and she was fine with it.

 

“Oh. That’s fine. Did you have fun?” She smiled.

 

Donghae grinned. “I pet him.” His mother grinned even bigger.

 

“That’s great!” She scowled after, though. An unpleasant look crossed her face. “You smell…like dog.” Hae keeled over in laughter. “I’m going to go shower, umma!” he plodded up the stairs, hearing his mother’s echoing laugh behind him.