Surviving School

Under the Full Moon

 

BRRRRRINNNNNGGGGG!

Donghae's eyes shot open. 

OH MY GOD. I'M LATE.

He shot up from the bed and ran around the room, trying to throw together a decent outfit. Pushing a toothbrush into his mouth, he swished around mouthwash and slid the toothbrush against his teeth in a hurry.

Donghae was a senior in high school now.

He tumbled down the stairs and tossed a piece of bread in the toaster. Mercifully, he had had the insight to pack his schoolbag the night before, and leave it by the front door. After throwing on his shoes and snapping his backpack into place, he bounced out the door, shouting a quick goodbye to his parents. 

Then he realized, he forgot the toast.

Grumbling on his way to school (hunger), shifting around uncomfortably (accidentally backwards pants), and smacking his lips (toothpaste residue), Donghae was sitting alone on the bus. He was extremely popular, but oddly enough, he always sat on the bus alone. Everywhere else, he was accompanied by his friends, whether it be his group of buddies, or his girlfriend, Shin Sekyung. Sekyung was the object of affection of a lot of boys in school, so Donghae was generally followed by a couple sneers from his male peers in the hallway. Likewise for Donghae: Sekyung was trailed by envious glares from the girls. 

They were the perfect couple that everyone predicted would come together. Like a supermodel dating a movie star...it was meant to be.

Still tired and malnourished, Donghae happily waved hi to those who greeted him in the halls, and made a beeline for his locker. After fumbling with the dial for thirty seconds (seemed like thirty hours) he popped the latch open and prepared for class.

First period (science) came and Donghae was not mentally ready at all. 

Donghae scribbled down whatever notes he could manage to pay attention to and left.

Second period (Spanish), at least he had Lee Taemin.

Taemin and Donghae met in 3rd grade, when both of them were competing in a makeshift kickball tournament. Donghae, of course, was elected captain of the blue team, and saw Taemin. Taemin looked pretty skinny, but looked like he was lean and muscular, too. So he was picked first.

Turns out, Taemin (nicknamed Minnie, or Taem) was a great catcher. Choi Siwon came up to kick (a 5th grader well known for his kicks at the time) and blasted the ball as hard as he could. Taemin, although short, leapt up and snatched the ball out of the air. Donghae high-fived Taemin and their friendship began from there.

Taemin and Donghae (commonly called Hae) talked throughout the class, since there was group work to be done, and they picked each other as partners.

Third period (history) was good, at least he was waking up. And he had Shin Sekyung.

Taemin had always had a crush on Sekyung, but in the end, she chose Donghae. Taemin was devastated, but soon found solace in a pretty girl named Tiffany.

They flirted throughout class, and she looped her fingers into his as they walked down to class (they had the next class together, too). People whistled as Sekyung walked past, and girls started fixing their hair when Donghae was in sight, but neither of the lovers minded, they just put the other on display. Proud to be the other’s one and only. With a quick peck before the teacher saw, they walked into the classroom. They unhooked their hands and latched onto their books so they wouldn’t be caught. That teacher was infamous for giving cheeky smiles when he knew couples were in love.

His name was Heechul.

“Anyounghasaeyo, Sunsaenghim Heechul!” Sekyung and Donghae bowed at the same time. Heechul grinned at the sight of them together.

As predicted, Heechul found out and teased the young lovers.

Might as well just let it out. Donghae thought. He skillfully undid his hands from the books without dropping any, and laced it around Sekyung’s. Heechul’s face burnished a bright red, put in his place by their signs of affection. He was one of the younger teachers at East Sea High.

The rest of the day breezed by pretty easily. Donghae took the mandatory classes. He ended up failing his geometry quiz but that was okay because he was already averaging a 98%. He invited Sekyung to his house afterwards for some time alone, and she gladly accepted.

Knowing they were home alone, as soon as they stepped into Donghae’s house, he backed her up against the door. He smiled at her, and breathlessly said hello, flirty and slightly seductive.

Sekyung giggled back. She had been through this before with Donghae. She expectantly closed her eyes, fluttering her long, thick black eyelashes, and waited.

As expected, Donghae grinned and closed his eyes. He placed his soft lips over Sekyung’s. Synchronized. Timed. Their lips danced to each other’s rhythm. Donghae was used to this, but loved flaunting his skills on his girlfriend. A shiver slid up the girl’s spine, not from lack of heat but rather from pleasure, as Donghae ran his tongue over her lower lip, smooth and glassy, perfect.

They pulled away, gasping for air, and looked at each other.

“I love you,” Sekyung breathed. Donghae just smiled and returned the favor by giving her another passionate kiss. He led her to his bedroom, not for seductive purposes, but just to sit, talk, and watch a movie. He watched her back as she crouched by the cabinet and selected a sappy romantic film.

Curled up on Hae’s bed, they both knew they wouldn’t pay attention to the movie. Just enjoy each other’s company and talk. A soft knock popped on Donghae’s front door. The couple heard it from the room and Donghae confusedly answered it. Much to Donghae’s dismay, it was his mother.

“Hi honey!” She said, ruffling his hair like when he was young.

“Mom!!!” The younger complained. “Sekyung’s over…”

“Oh. Sorry.” A cheeky flush overtook her face. She disappeared to the living room.

Barreling up the stairs, Donghae came in the room and closed the door, wrapping his arm around his lover once more. “My mom’s home,” he muttered. Sekyung just laughed.

“Doesn’t matter. I like your mom.” She smiled.

Donghae just laughed out loud. He pulled out his phone and took a picture of him and Sekyung.

“Yah, oppa! Delete that! I look terrible!” She tried to grab the phone, failing. Hae just pressed a little key button, locking the picture so it was only deletable through a password.

Sekyung’s head fell on Donghae’s chest. She took two long fingers and jabbed his ribcage. Hae recoiled from the assault.

“Yah what was that for!!??” He returned the attack, poking her sides until the laughter hurt her stomach.

They waged a tickle war, Sekyung ending up below Hae, the boy propping himself up on his hands overtop of his girlfriend. He planted a kiss on her nose.

“I win.”