Compliments

Push and Pull

 

As I have previously mentioned, I am not stalking my brother. I just happened to be at the cafe that he was at the same time. That's not even supposed to be considered suspicious, but inconspicuousness apparently was too much to ask from both Taec and Jay.

 

Why are you hiding behind the plants?” I asked, suddenly questioning all omnipotent beings out there why they had decided to place these two kings of drama queens upon me. “Seriously, why are you hiding behind the plants?”

 

Taec was the first to surface, his head popping out of the lush greenery like one of those whack-a-mole moles. Given the teeth, it wasn't really that hard to imagine. Jay followed right after him, and with the look his face, well, we now have a mole and a rat. The only thing missing was a mallet, and I was very tempted to be of possession of one at the moment. The urge to whack something was overwhelming, was this punishment for prying into my brother's business? Was it really that bad that I wanted to know who this girl was? Because if it were so, then I relinquish all rights to ever finding out- no. I take that back.

 

I take that back because as soon I uttered those words in my mind Kwangwoo came strutting from the counter to their table where Kim Jonghyun and Choi Minho were sitting waiting for him. According to my informants, Junho and Wooyoung, dear brother was supposed to be meeting a few of his friends from SME here, said object-of-affection included. Right now the rest of SHINee came in along with a few of their Super Junior hyungs. They gathered around the large table and started a little conversation too hushed for me to hear from where I was.

 

I scanned the room for a vacant booth anywhere near their immediate perimeter. “We need to get closer.”

 

Dude, no. That's like SM territory.” Jay said, making himself comfortable inside the booth we were previously in before these two decided to go ninja and hide inside the plants.

 

“I'm surprised no one has ever accused you of being an SM spy yet.” Taec commented, sliding into the seat next to Jay.

 

Truth be told I wonder the same thing. See, our father was a high ranking executive at SME, he handled accounting mostly, and that's really not the point. The point was, Kwang and I were SM brood, therefore, my attachment to JYPE was more often than not an object of ridicule and spite. Not that I cared or anything. It was more amusing than watching SNSD's rehearsals, that was for sure.

 

It also explained my brother's attachment to the SM boys, SHINee in particular as he belonged in the same age group. Kim Jonghyun was his designated best friend as soon as he was outside the nerd-zone that was university. They did everything together these days, and more often than not they'd be calling each other with Jonghyun playing the good hyung and- HOCRAP.

 

Kim Jonghyun?!

 

Panic was an understatement.

 

 

“You know you can tell me anything, right?” I asked tentatively, testing the water between us so to speak.

 

Kwangwoo looked at me like I had grown two extra heads and one head was eating the other. At least the question had gotten him to momentarily set aside his Math homework which was so obviously much more enthralling than his own sister. “What are you going on about now?” he replied, annoyed that I dare bothered him as he did his precious assignment.

 

I rolled my eyes leaning towards him, balancing my weight on my elbows. He was doing derivatives, I could as much by the squigly lines strewn across his work page, and I couldn't help but let out a sneer of utter revulsion. Math was never my thing. Ever.

 

But that wasn't the topic at hand. What I needed to find out was who this object of affection was, or at least confirm the identity of said object of affection. Not that I had anything against- not that I'd love my brother any less- I mean, well...you know what I mean, whatever makes him happy makes me, in a very vague, very ambiguous way happy as well. We may not have had the best sibling dynamics, but he was my brother nonetheless, and it was my duty to look out for him.

 

That, and he would never hear the end of this from me.

 

“You know, you might as well give up because I'm not going to tell you.”

 

How I hated that he knew me so well. I was not about to give as I had a few more aces up my sleeve. “What are you talking about? I'm just trying to establish good communication between us.”

 

He wasn't buying any of it. Quite frankly, I didn't blame him. I didn't even sound convincing to myself. Yet I was determined to figure this out, and what I put my mind into, I accomplish no matter what. Persistence was not attached to my reputation just because it looked good-

 

Look ate, I know you know that I know that you know you're only as curious as you are because you hate not knowing and it irks you that you think I'm hiding something from you. You don't usually care this much- actually, you don't usually care. Period.”

 

“I care!” I scoffed, “I happen to be capable of caring!”

 

It was his turn to scoff as he shot me bored look, “Still not telling you because there's nothing to tell.” Kwangwoo gathered his belongings on the table and piled them all into his bag, carefully stacking his books on top of the other before turning around to leave me alone at the stone tables I had managed to find him at.

 

I didn't bother following him anymore as I had a class in a few minutes, one I couldn't be late for because I was actually teaching it as opposed to just sitting through it and faking participation. Inspiration came in waves, they say, and at that point, it had hit me like bullet train. Kwangwoo was definitely going to regret not telling me in the first place. I was going to make sure of it.

 

 

This time Taec and Jay didn't bother with the plant, thankfully, neither did they bother with disguises. The three of us sat in tense silence as we strained our ears to hear as much of the conversation Kwang was having with Minho and Khun in the booth behind us. Yes, eavesdropping, if you will. I happen to have to qualms about it, neither do I condone the act should the need for it arise, and there was a need for it now. Stealth was an art form after all, and eavesdropping was one of its many skill requirements.

 

“Compliments always work. Be sure to give a lot of compliments” I heard Khun say.

 

Compliments? What were they even talking about? I sent Taec a sidelong glance, while I was grateful he managed to extract this meeting, time and place, from Khun, I was a little disappointed Taec didn't even ask what the meeting was for. It wasn't a social visit obviously, and now was one of those times I cursed my social awkwardness and inability to extrapolate the subject of a conversation given a few snippets of said dialogue that didn't make sense to me.

 

“Yeah,” Minho agreed, “Be sure to make a well-placed compliment here and there while you're together, but not too much. Moderation is key.”

 

“Be careful with what you compliment on, too. Make sure it's relevant to whatever you're currently talking about.” Khun added.

 

I'm assuming Khun and Minho knew everything about this as well, already my mind was scheming a way to get Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul confessing every single detail of my brother's affairs to me. It was only right, I happened to be his older sister after all. The more their conversation made no sense to me the more curious I became, and the harder it was to resist the urge and just ask them all straight out what this all was about.

 

But then again. Kwangwoo giving out compliments? This was something that I was even curiouser about. The most Kwang would give out as a compliment was a silent approval of whatever it was that was presented to him. Oh, he was capable of giving out a good word or two, but he would have had to be very impressed- okay fine. It didn't take that much to impress him. Quite frankly what impressed him more often that not bored me. He says it's simply a matter of standards, mine he accuses of being to high. My standards are not high- they were just different...Obscure, as Kwangwoo had put it.

 

“So compliment accordingly.” came my brother's dry reply. “Are you sure about this?”

 

I could picture Khun and Minho nodding reassuringly at him and Kwangwoo raising a skeptical brow. I shifted my gaze towards my two companions, and I wanted to smack them both upside the head. They were keeping quiet yes, they were hanging on to every word Khun and Minho had said, yes, but maybe a little too much as both guys had their phones in in their hands typing down the example compliments Khun was giving my brother.

 

My eyes grew at every other compliment he shelled out, did Nichkhun have a book on this or something? Was this what he used on everybody to have them favor him even more than they already had? At this point I had realized something very important.

 

There was a lot to learn from the manipulative Nichkhun Horvejkul. A lot to learn indeed.

 

 

It wasn't actually long until Kwangwoo had to apply all the learnings he had received from Khun and Minho. In fact, it didn't even a take day, for as soon as I was about to call the mission done and leave the shop, Khun was suddenly in a fuss. My eyes flew to the door just as the door chimes dinged, and as I predicted, Jonghyun and Taemin came in with a few other artists (of less relevance at the moment, I don't care if their sunbaenims) with them.

 

“Okay, quick! Don't forget okay!” Khun hurriedly pushed Kwang out of the booth, and Minho dragged him to the front of the shop where the newcomers were.

 

I wanted to get out of the booth before Nichkhun spotted us, but fate, it seemed had other plans. “You're not very good ninjas.” he said, stepping into the seat across from me.

 

“What are you talking about?” I asked, meeting his gaze. No point looking guilty now.

 

“Are you following Kwangwoo?”

 

I rolled my eyes. Another word of advice, if you're caught in a lie, tell the truth in the most sarcastic way possible. It draws the attention away from what you're saying to how you're saying it. “Yes Khun, I'm following my brother because I'm deathly curious about whoever this object-of-affection of his is because he resolutely refuses to tell me. After all, I have nothing more important to do with my time than stalk Kwangwoo.”

 

Nichkhun shook his head and scowled at me, “A 'no' would have been enough.”

 

Hook, line, and sinker.

 

I returned my attention towards the counter, Jonghyun was there, but my brother was nowhere to be found. Mildly annoyed that my surveillance system failed, I stood from my seat and excused myself for the ladies room. If I was going to think this through, I might as well do it with an empty bladder. I made the turn towards the corner washroom, when something from my peripheral vision snagged my full attention. A few tables away from me, near the gallery partially hidden by some strategically placed plants and screens, was by ever-so-dearest brother with someone who's back was turned to me. My one sigh of relief however was finally released.

 

I dropped down to the floor immediately and crawled the short distance to the plantbox that hid them from sight. I peeped through the leaves, and held my breath.

 

Kwangwoo was obviously nervous as he stood across some girl whose face I couldn't see from this angle. He was obviously smitten with her by the way his eyes were shifty and his fingers fidgeted with the hem of his shirt. Wow, I never thought I'd see the day Kwang would act even more of a girl than he already was. The only other time I had seen him this nervous was...was...well see? I couldn't even remember anymore. Was this what Khun and Minho had been prepping him about?

 

Kwang cleared his throat, and I resisted the urge to snort loudly. “N-Noona...” he stumbled. One word and already he was stumbling. I had to hand to him though, really? A noona? I was caught in between feeling amused, impressed, and did I mention amused? This was going to be interesting for sure.

 

I couldn't see Noona's face, but Kwang's expression was enough to tell me that she acknowledged him and his praise-worthy attempts at catching her attention. “You look nice today” he said, a spread of color rising in his face. It was amusing seeing the mighty Kwangwoo falter all because of a girl. Now I wish I had my camera with me, show him what it was like being documented like there was no tomorrow.

 

A soft chuckle was noona's reply, I could tell she was handling this more maturely and a lot more gracefully than my brother, “Thank you.”

 

“Your hair,” Kwang suddenly blurted out, “its shiny.”

 

I wanted to literally bang my head against the wall, but I continued listening nonetheless. This may have been torture to listen to, but it was infinitely worse for Kwang. Not that I enjoyed my brother's misery, how dare you even insinuate that!

 

“Oh...thank you?”

 

Kwang looked like he was trying to regain is bearings, Khun's earlier teachings and words of wisdom did not in any way at all sound the same when they came from my brother's mouth. Granted, Khun said a lot more words with a much more suave than Kwang would ever possess within a lifetime. Although I had to give him some credit for making this far. Now if only I could see who this was he was talking to.

 

Kwang shifted uncomfortably in his seat again and it cushions groaned under the stress and strain. I bit my buccal- tch, fine, cheek to prevent the laughter from slipping out, even clamping both hands hard onto my mouth to make sure not a squeak came out.

 

“Noona...you're voice...it's pretty.”

 

I'm sure whoever this noona was was feeling very creeped out right about now. Yeah...my brother and compliments...they did not exist in the same sentence for a reason, a very good reason. I was convulsing in utter ecstasy at my brother's imminent demise, it wouldn't be long now for noona to giggle nervously and awkwardly leave the conversation. Of course that would leave my brother raw and vulnerable to any and all attacks, which really was the best time to attack him.

 

Tears were already springing from my eyes from the sheer effort of not laughing out loud like a man person would. I could have laughed, but doing so would alert both Kwangwoo and his companion to my presence, and I at least wanted to see the noona's reaction first. Heartless? Not really. Kwang would get over it. Or at least, he should. If he doesn't and he PMS's about the whole thing for months on end, then I'll find a way to get back at this noona for him. No one makes my baby brother cry except me. Besides, no one else would be capable of it. Except maybe Freud, but he's dead and I doubt his theories on psycho-ana-

 

A giggle.

 

Wait...was Kwangwoo...actually...No. Way.

 

I craned my neck to look over, and he was actually smiling. I doubted he did this on purpose, my brother was smart, but not that smart. Not when it came to people at least. Imagine the shock on my face when suddenly became more relaxed and began an actual conversation. This did not bode well for me, I had been hoping for a bruised ego, not a fluffed up one, the omnipotent beings out there know he's egotistic enough as is.

 

“Noona?”

 

as;dlkfjasdl;kfjasdlfsaasdf. Not an actual word, but it perfectly expressed the way I had been feeling at that moment. Jinki stood a few steps away from me holding a drink in his hand, Taec, Jay and Khun behind him laughing like the idiots they were. Ugh. The people I had to deal with. I waved a hand absentmindedly through the air to dismiss the issue, maybe Kwang hadn't noticed yet.

 

“Noona, what are you doing?”

 

Why Jinki? Why be this persistent? Ugh. The cruel ironies of life indeed. Jinki offered me a hand, and I knew better than to take it given his Onew condition. He was an accident magnet, and I liked myself accident free for the most part of my day, aforementioned omnipotent beings know I get into enough trouble already.

 

Ate?”

 

Damn.

 

I turned around slowly plastering a saccharine sweet smile on my face. Kwangwoo was obviously not happy to see me. Gee, I wonder why. What took the trophy for Shocker of the Night however, was the revelation of who this noona was. I hated setting myself up for anything so I had no preconceptions on who this could possibly be. It laid out two outcomes for me, first, I don't get disappointed if I set the bar too high, and second, I get blown off my lovely little socks because I was not expecting the result at all. Let's just say we're leaning towards the latter choice.

 

Kwon Boa.

 

I kept the smile as I greeted her with a forty-five degree bow. We weren't on familiar terms as I didn't hang around SME nearly as much as Kwang had, but we were properly acquainted with each other. I avoided Kwang's gaze and shifted my attention to my other side, the rest of the SME pack gathered around, and I took this as my cue to make my leave. I said my quick goodbyes and slipped out of the shop with Jay, Taec, and Khun at my heels.

 

“You forgot to mention it was Boa.” I hissed as soon as we were outside. “What a lovely piece of information to withhold.”

 

Taec paled considerably, “I thought you knew.”

 

“Well I wouldn't be stalking if-” I pinched the bridge of my nose as a last effort to contain my violent spree. “Fine.” I sighed, “I forgive you.”

 

“I'm scared for Kwang's life.” Jay muttered, though it was more for Khun than it was for me, I still heard it anyway.

 

“Yah Park Jaebeom, I heard that.”