Our Little Memories.

Tree House

I sat on a chair on my back porch, lemonade on the table beside me. Today was the day, so why was I here, watching? For all I know, I could end up breaking down while watching what I love be taken away from me. I looked over at the big tree in the backyard of the house across from mine, memorizing the beauty. I sighed, my chest felt heavier than ever. I could feel tears pinching my eyes as I watched the man who lived in that house get ready to tear down the tree house I loved so much.

"Umma! I'm going to play in my sandbox!" She nodded and fixed my dress, "Be careful, okay Kalin?" I giggled and nodded sheepishly. She gestured for me to go and I quickly ran towards the backyard. I rushed down my porch's stairs and leaped into my sandbox. I grabbed the pail and shovel, and then started scooping sand into the pail. I laughed to myself, planning how big the castle was going to be. I looked over my shoulder and spotted my favourite stuffed bunny. I ran over and reached for him, "Come on Dr. Carrot! You can help me make a big castle!" I grabbed his right ear and brought him along, sitting him down in the corner of the sandbox, on top of a piece of cardboard so he wouldn't get dirty. My umma came along and crouched behind me, "Kalin-ah, we don't want to get your hair dirty." She tied my hair in a high ponytail with my favourite red ribbon to match my dress. "Thank you umma!" She laughed and walked back into the house to make lunch.

I was halfway done my castle when suddenly a blue ball bounced and destroyed it. I gasped and felt like crying, when suddenly I heard a boy's voice, "Oh! I'm sorry! Can you throw me my ball back?!" I looked up and saw a boy, trying to look over the wooden gate that separated our backyards. I clutched Dr. Carrot, squeezing him against my chest and picked up the ball, holding it between my side and my arm. Cautiously, I walked towards the green gate and looked up. The boys eyes turned crescent shaped as he smiled. Slowly the gate door opened and I saw him. He was tall compared to me, with a thin figure. He opened his arms and I slowly handed him his ball, burying my face in Dr. Carrot's ears. He took the ball and I turned my head, looking back at my demolished castle.

He probably saw what I was staring at and he sadly sighed, "I'm sorry about that..." I looked up at him and he panicked once he noticed my eyes were watering. He tossed his ball somewhere in his backyard and flailed his arms around, "Don't cry! I'll make it up to you! Follow me!" He walked towards the big tree in his backyard. I stayed in my spot, rocking from my heel to my toes. The boy was going up the stairs built into the trunk of the tree but turned around and saw me. He waved me over, "Come on!" Slowly, I walked towards the tree, gently stepping on the stairs in case they broke. Once we were at the top, inside his tree house, the boy smiled, "What do you think?" My jaw dropped. His tree house had toys scattered all over, every kid’s dream. He had comic books and figurines, along with a few blankets to sit on. The boy walked over to another side of the tree house and I followed closely behind, holding my bunny tighter. He pushed two pieces of wood outwards, opening it like a window. "Wah..." The scene was amazing. I could see our neighbourhood streets so clearly. I jumped up and down then pointed towards my house, "Omo! I see my house from here!" The window to my bedroom was across from the tree house window and I wondered if he ever saw me before. The boy laughed and watched me as I kept bouncing excitedly, "Can you forgive me for breaking your castle?" I looked at him, smiling, and then nodded happily, "Of course! It's so cool up here!" He laughed and smiled at me, "I'm Kwon Jiyong. We've been neighbours for a while now, but we don't know each other. I see you playing in your backyard a lot when I'm up here." I felt my cheeks grow warm and I kept my eyes on the ground while shuffling my feet, "I-I'm Kalin. Lee Kalin."

I smiled at the memory. It's been 14 years since I met Jiyong. I was only 8 years old while he was 10. I always found it weird how we immediately clicked once we knew each other's names. My mother came out of nowhere and snapped me out of my daze. She set a plate of clubhouse sandwiches and fries. She tucked some hair behind my ear and sadly smiled, "Are you going to be okay, Kalin-ah?" I kept my eyes on the tree house. The man already took apart half of the roof; a part of my heart. I looked up at my mom and nodded, "Yeah. It's not like I was going to play up there my whole life, umma." She nodded and headed back inside. I blankly stared at the plate of sandwiches she handed me, tears pinching my eyes again.

After playing with my new friend Jiyong for an hour, my umma called me over. I raced down the stairs of his tree house and back into my yard. My umma sighed of relief and scolded me, "Next time you leave the backyard, tell umma! Okay?!" I nodded sadly and she sat me down on the picnic table in our backyard. She set a plate of clubhouse sandwiches and fries in front of me. Suddenly Jiyong ran over and set Dr. Carrot beside my plate, "You forgot him in my tree house." I giggled and offered him a fry which he gladly took. My umma came back with some BBQ sauce for my fries and smiled at Jiyong, "Oh! Who are you?" Jiyong bowed politely and grinned, "Good afternoon ummoni. I'm Kwon Jiyong! I live in the house behind that gate!" He pointed towards the green gate and my umma laughed. I giggled, "Umma! He's my new friend! His tree house over there is daebak!" Jiyong scratched the back of his neck and laughed. My umma smiled and patted his head, "Take good care of her when she's with you, okay?" Jiyong nodded and once she left to do some more house work, we ended up sharing my lunch while talking up a storm.

I sighed. As the place I used to love being in was being torn down, the memories flooded my mind, an overwhelming feeling taking over me. I brought my hand to my forehead in efforts to shade my eyes from the sun, but instead looked at the promise ring I recieved from Jiyong.

"Kalin!" Jiyong excitedly pulled me over the moment I stepped into the tree house. He sat me down on a fluffy blanket then took a seat in front of me. His eyes were sparkling as he stared at me, I couldn't help but blush. He pinched my cheek and laughed, "Aigoo. We've known each other for three months and you still turn red when you see me." I smacked his hand away from my sore cheek and pouted, "Oppa, it hurts." Jiyong laughed and looked away, mumbling something that sounded like, "Cute." I looked around the tree house and noticed there were streamers and balloons decorated around. I grabbed a red balloon and lightly hugged it, "Oppa, why is everyting decorated?" He snapped his head towards me with a big smile and snapped his fingers, "Right! I almost forgot!" I rolled my eyes as he deperately looked for something in his pocket. He pulled out a small, blue velvet box and smiled, "Kalin-ah, today is exactly the third month we met right? Even the exact hour?" I looked at my bunny shaped watch and nodded cluelessly. Jiyong laughed and opened the box. My eyes widened and I gasped, "Oppa! How did you get these?!" Inside the small box were two rings, one thin, simple silver one with a single diamond, and another that was a simple, thick, silver ring. Jiyong laughed and pulled the one with a diamond out, "Umma said I should give this one to someone special. Since you're my bestfriend, you are special! She even approved when I asked if I could give you one!" I was still in a state of shock as he grabbed my right hand and put the ring at the tip of my finger, "Do you, Lee Kalin, promise to stay by my side and be with me for as long as this tree house shall live?" I snapped out of my daze and nodded, "I do." He grinned widely and slid the ring onto my ring finger. I raised my hand and stared at it in wonder. How could something so small and simple make a finger look so beautiful? Jiyong pushed my hand down and laughed, "That one is yours," He pulled out the other ring and held it to my face, "and this one is mine!" He placed the jewelery in my hand and held his right hand out. I got the message and placed the ring at the tip if his finger, "D-Do you, Kwon J-Jiyong, promise to stay by my side and be w-with me for as long as this tree house shall live?" He nodded, "I promise!" I slowly slid the ring onto his ring finger and he smiled in content. He suddenly held me in a tight embrace, "Keep your promise, okay?" I cluelessly nodded and he laughed, "Happy three month friend-a-versary, my bestfriend, Lee Kalin." I giggled and patted his back, "Happy friend-a-versary, oppa."

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I remembered our promise. Everyday I would wake up and recite my promise, just in case one day he would come back and ask me. I doubt it. Where was he? He was a famous male idol, living well in the busy parts of Seoul. Jiyong was a rapper, singer, songwriter, producer...basically a musical prodigy. He was rich and a well-known fashionista, buying expensive clothing brands like his most recent favourite, Chrome Hearts. He was also something else: a promise breaker. He left my side. He wasn't my bestfriend anymore. He was the bestfriend of some guy named Youngbae or Taeyang, as well as the leader of his famous K-Pop icon group, BIGBANG. He was obviously closer to them, so why did I still have hope in me? Why did I even bother going on his fan café and checking his updates daily? I knew almost everything about him, but he didn't - no couldn't have remembered a single thing about me. He probably didn't even know what his promise ring was for now, so he threw it away and replaced it with brand named ones. Me? I was just a normal girl who had a stable job as manager at a nice café in town. Jiyong grew up well, he was no longer that kid with messy, black hair and buck teeth, but a handsome rapper who looked good in any kind of hair, with beautiful, shining, white teeth. To be honest, I missed Jiyong. No. Saying I miss him would be an obvious understatement. My body and aching heart yearned for him. I finally understood why I was so nervous around him: I had feelings for him. By now I knew that I had fallen inlove with my childhood friend. We only knew each other for a while and were naive children, but I loved him then, and now. I closed my eyes and sighed. Maybe it was better if I just drowned in my thoughts as the sound of our tree house being taken down surrounded me.

I sat in bed, itchy everywhere. I pouted as my mom placed my hands in oven mittens, then gently placed a damp towel in my forehead, "Umma! Pleaseee!" She shook her head and brushed my bangs out of my face, "No Kalin. You have the chick pox, just wait a few days, okay? You can't play with him, what if he gets it too?" I crossed my arms like a stubborn child but let her explanation invade my head. I sighed and pouted, "Can you atleaset tell him?" My umma smiled and nodded, "I'll tell his umma to tell him." I agreed and she stepped out of the room to call Mrs. Kwon. My umma and her have become close because of Jiyong and I, so have my appa and his. I was upset because I never missed a day of playing in the tree house with Jiyong. Stupid chicken sickness. I looked out my bedroom window and saw Jiyong's umma call for Jiyong at the bottom of the tree. Whenever Jiyong and I were up there, the adults were too afraid to come up, so it was like our own little world. Jiyong's umma explained everything to Jiyong while he was still up here, and once she seemed to be done telling Jiyong, he opened the tree house window and stared into my room with his binoculars. l sadly waved at him and I could see him frown. He closed the tree house window and dashed down the tree house, into his real house. Was he mad at me? 

After five minutes, which felt like an eternity, someone knocked on my door and I was expecting it to be umma with my soup. "Come in!" Suddenly Jiyong came in and sat down on the chair in front of my desk, beside my bed. He grapped my hand like I was a sick patient, his eye brows furrowed. He looked at me worriedly, "Kalin-ah, are you okay?" I nodded and smiled, "I'm just a bit itchy because of the chicken flu, oppa. You should go or you'll get it." He laughed and flicked my forehead, "Pabo, it's chicken poxs. It should be very itchy. Plus, I already had it a few years ago, so I can't get it again." My eyes widened, "Really? You can't...get it?" Jiyong nodded and brushed his fingers over my promise ring. "Yeah. Don't worry, I'm just a bit sad we can't play today. My appa and your appa worked very hard to make a giant leaf mountain for us to play in!" I sighed at the thought of how much fun the leaf pile could be wih Jiyong; Autumn was always my favourite season. I pouted and sniffled, almost about to cry at the thought of disappointing Jiyong, "I-I'm sorry, oppa..." He laughed and shook his head, "It's okay. Just get better soon, okay?" I nodded, determination's fire burning inside of me. He ruffled my hair and smiled, "Good." He got up from his seat, letting go of my hand. I was a scared he was going to leave me, go find another bestfriend and forget me because I was some polka-dotted freak. But, as if he could read my mind he smiled, "Let's see what we can play in your room while you lie in bed. Does my bestfriend have puzzles or board games?" I giggled and nodded, pointing towards my closet. Jiyong smiled and headed over, picking out all the games we were going to play while I was stuck inside.

Unconsciously a sob left my throat as tears streamed down my face. It was never this painful last time I thought about our memories, which was just yesterday. Was it because our special tree house was being taken down? There was never a day that has gone by where I didn't think of Jiyong. I looked back at the tree house and deeply sighed when the man finished taking off the rooftop.

I heard a few laughs behind me and turned around. My parents along with Jiyong's parents were conversing, sharing laughs from time to time. Jiyong's parents moved to inner Seoul when Jiyong made the YG auditions. Because they had more time, they would visit us more often. Jiyong would never come along. He was an idol after all. A very successful man does not have even think about making time to visit home, he is working 24/7. From what I've seen on the Internet, he was always at the recording studio, smiling. If he was happy there, why would he come back to a small neighborhood like this? I looked at the kitchen counter in between them and saw letters and some pictures of Jiyong. Why didn't he write me anything? I felt some more tears roll down my cheeks from the thought of Jiyong completely forgetting me. Jiyong's umma probably felt me staring, so turned her head towards my direction. We made eye contact for a brief second but I quickly snapped my head forward again. Hopefully, she didn't see my tears. How long has it been since I cried over him? I whipped my tears away and heard my name come up in the parents' conversation. "Is Kalin okay?" It was Jiyong's appa's voice. I took a sharp inhale and heard my appa respond, "She's been like this ever since your son left. She hasn't gotten any better...maybe she has gotten worse." Jiyong's umma sighed, "It's been so long. Has she found anyone else yet?" I couldn't quiet tell if her tone had hope for me to have found someone else, or hope for me to stay with Jiyong. My umma replied, "No. She's fallen quite deeply for Jiyong." My heart felt like it was beaten for every beat. Even they knew my feelings... I felt my eyes burn and I closed them, hoping, no, praying, I wouldn't let anymore tears fall.

"Jiyong-ah! Come down with Kalin for dinner!" I pouted and Jiyong pinched my cheeks, "Cheonsa, let's go." Cheonsa. The little nickname, meaning 'Angel', Jiyong gave me after ten months of knowing each other. I nodded and grabbed Dr. Carrot. The night was upon us, it was just a bit past eight, so it was dark. We left the tree house and Jiyong grabbed my hand, guiding me down the stairs. I buried my red face in my bunny's ears as he kept a firm grip on my hand, leading me home. Our parents usually had dinner together, Saturday of every week, sometimes even more. Before going in, Jiyong turned to me and laughed, the light from inside illuminating our faces. "Cheonsa, you look like a strawberry. Maybe I should call you ddalki." I stuck my tongue out at him and ran inside before him. I ran towards the dining room and Jiyong caught up to me then grabbed my hand, "Yah cheonsa! You can't leave me in the dark!" Our parents laughed and my appa crouched down in front of us, "Did you two have fun today?" He gently took away Dr. Carrot and set him down on his little stool beside my chair. I nodded, "Appa we always do! The tree house is jjang!" I felt Jiyong squeeze my hand and our ummas gasped, "Omo! Jiyong is holding Kalin's hand!" I felt my face heat up for some reason, so I quickly retracted back my hand. Our parents aw'ed and I was utterly confused.

Jiyong pouted and reached for my hand again, "Cheonsa, let's sit down and eat." I nodded and he led me to my seat. Our parents had their eyes glued onto us as Jiyong picked me up and sat me down on the chair. He pushed my chair in for me then ran to the seat in front of me. He climbed up his seat and bounced, pulling the chair closer to the table. I looked at my umma who snapped out of her daze and nudged the rest of the elders. Each of them sat down, I was in between my umma and appa while Jiyong was in between his umma and appa. I picked up my training chopsticks with a Pororo design and popped some kalbi in my mouth. I happily chewed and Jiyong laughed. My parents spoon fed me some rice and other foods on the table while conversing with Jiyong's parents. Jiyong's umma held a spoonful of kimchi jjigae to Jiyong mouth and he pouted, "Umma! I'm a big boy! I can feed myself!" He took the spoon and fed himself, his parents laughing. I stared in amazement, I didn't know how to spoon feed myself. I grabbed my spoon from my appa and he looked at me oddly, "Kalin-ah, what's wrong?" I scooped some kimchi jjigae and smiled, "I want to try feeding myself like Jiyong oppa!" Everyone laughed but Jiyong only smiled at me, some kind of sparkle shining in his eyes.

As my parents conversed, I picked up my Pororo chopsticks and tried reaching for the namul (seasoned vegetables). Because of my short arms, I couldn't reach. I pouted, trying to figure out a way to get them but not wanting to bother my parents. Just then, Jiyong reached over and grabbed a lot of vegetables, then set it in my bowl. He smiled adoringly and I giggled, "Thank you oppa!" I stuffed almost half of what he gave me in my mouth while swinging my feet in the air. My umma laughed, "Omona! Kalin and Jiyong are so cute together!" The other adults laughed and Jiyong's umma joined, "It would be so great if they got married!" Our appas chuckled and mine added, "I would approve of him for our little Kalin." He pinched my cheeks as they flushed red. I looked at my lap and pouted, "Umma! Appa!" After walking in on my mom's dramas a lot, I knew boys were uncomfortable talking about things like this. But then, out of the blue, Jiyong grabbed my hand across the table and smiled, "I'll take good care of her Mr and Mrs Lee!" My eyes widened and I tried to take back my hand but he had a tight grip on it. I looked up at him and he smiled like it was nothing. Jiyong's appa ruffled his hair and laughed, "Aigoo, my son. You're only 10 but you're such a ladies man." Suddenly my appa joined in, "He learns from the best." The adults bursted out laughing but I kept my gaze on our connected hands. Why was my heart beating so fast?

I felt my chest grow heavier and the only way to help it was sobbing. My tears drenched my cheeks - I missed how they would grow red and hot under his touch. I felt something soft wrap around me and I looked up. Though my vision was blurry, I knew it was Jiyong's mom. She smiled sadly at me and I hugged the blanket tightly. She sat on the chair beside me and held my hand, "Are you thinking of my son again?" I looked down at my lap, my thumb playing with the ring on the same hand, "Y-Yes." She patted my hand and sighed, "It will be okay. He'll come home soon and you two will reunite happily." I saw a few tears land on my lap, only to land on the blanket. I shook my head and tried speaking normally, "B-But ummoni... He's a busy person. Who knows when he'll come home..." She tucked some hair behind my ear and smiled. I don't understand. Shouldn't she be much more sad than I am? She gently spoke, "He will be back soon. I know it. Just think of the happy moments you had with him." With that she walked away after hugging me. I looked up at the sky behind the tree and sighed. "Happy moments..."

It was just another evening with Jiyong's parents and I. I was watching Pororo alone, Jiyong had run off somewhere while the parents were cleaning and talking. I giggled at a scene of Pororo when suddenly Jiyong pulled me up, "Kalin-ah! Let's go to the tree house!" He turned off the TV and I pouted, "But oppa! It's dark outside..." He smiled and held an old lantern up, "Don't worry! We have this! Plus, I'll protect you!" I nodded and followed him to the door to go backyard. He turned to the adults and smiled, "Umma! Appa! We're going to be in the tree house to see the fireworks!" I tilted my head in confusion once I finished putting on my shoes, "Fireworks...?" His parents nodded, "We'll be out in the backyard to see them soon. Keep Kalin safe!" Jiyong nodded and grabbed my wrist, dashing towards the tree. He ran up the stairs and I followed closely behind, not wanting to be consumed by the dark. Once we were inside, Jiyong closed the curtains which we used as a door and opened the tree house's new window, showing a clear view of the sky. My appa had made another one since the other window only showed our house and neighborhood. Jiyong sat me down on my usual blanket and set the lantern in front of me while he sat down.

Jiyong held my hand and smiled, "Don't worry. Once the fireworks come it won't be so dark." I nodded nervously and he squeezed my hand reassuringly. "Oppa... Why are there going to be fireworks?" I asked. Jiyong smiled and scooted closer to me, "It's Children's Day. Didn't you know?" I shook my head and he laughed. Suddenly a splash of coloured light showed up on his face and he pointed towards the window, "It's starting!" I snapped my head towards the window and my eyes widened. It was so pretty, the splashes of colour in the navy blue sky. "Wah..." Jiyong smiled, "I know right?" We watched the fireworks burst in the sky for a few minutes until I felt my eyelids slowly drop. My head landed on Jiyong's shoulder and he laughed. Though I was tired, I was still just a bit conscious. I felt Jiyong move me and soon he was giving me a piggy back ride. He slowly walked down the tree house's stairs and my appa chuckled, "Aw, look at that. Your Jiyongie brought our sleeping angel back to us." I felt my dad pick me up with my head over his shoulder and Jiyong's appa picked Jiyong up. Jiyong smiled and brushed some hair out of my face, "Goodnight cheonsa. Sleep well, okay?" He lightly pecked my forehead making our ummas giggle and aw.

I immediately shook my head and sighed. He's gone now Kalin... He's been gone for 12 years. We were bestfriends for 2 years when suddenly he told me he wanted to audition for an agency and become famous.

We were up in our tree house, playing with our toys and laughing when suddenly Jiyong's face became serious. We've known each other for two years...two brilliant years. Jiyong looked at me and spoke seriously, "Kalin...I want to tell you something." I stopped playing with his toy car and looked up at him with a smile on my face. But then I noticed the sad look in his eyes. He avoided my gaze and almost whispered, "You know how I like music and performing...right?" I thought about it and nodded, "Oppa was a little Roora when he was 7!" I flung my hands up in the air for emphasis and he slightly laughed. Suddenly I grew worried from his mood. He was sad and serious...two things I didn't like. I started to grow scared, "W-What's wrong oppa?" He sighed and played with his fingers, "Umma and Appa are taking me to some auditions tomorrow." I sighed of relief and playfully punched his shoulder, "Good! Oppa! You scared me!" He didn't laugh with me and I stopped. He spoke quietly again, "If I get accepted...we're going to move closer to the building so I can train..." My heart stopped and my hands shook. I took a deep breath. I had to support him. I cracked a smile and tried speaking like I was fine, "Good luck oppa! I'll be supporting you!" He looked up at me, clearly surprised, "Really?" He had a small smile on his face and so I painfully nodded, "O-Of course oppa!" He hugged me tightly and laughed, "Alright! We should go inside, it's getting cold!" I agreed and he laced his hand with mine, walking me to my house.

Two days later I met up with Jiyong again at our tree house and he had the biggest smile on his face. The day before he had many auditions to attend so I couldn't see him at all. Right now, in the pit of my stomach I knew he had made it, that's why he was smiling. I knew I was right when once he saw me, he hugged me tightly, "Kalin-ah! I made it to a place called YG! I did it!" I sadly patted his back and felt my eyes water, "Good job oppa... I knew you could do it." Jiyong laughed and separated from me with a pout on his face, "But that means I have to move..." I raised my hand up and smiled, "Promise not to forget me when you get famous, and you'll visit?" He linked pinkies with mine and our thumbs touched, "I promise." We spent the rest of the day playing. Jiyong have a giant, goofy smile on his face...me? I didn't want him to feel bad so I faked one.

A few weeks later, Jiyong moved. While saying our goodbyes, I remember crying so hard. Jiyong shed a few tears but focused on trying to make me feel better, reminding me of the promise he made. Our parents cried as well, their hearts broke at the thought of leaving and splitting Jiyong and I up. After that day, it was very hard for me to make friends. Now my only friends were some workers at the café. One of them even told me a worker had a little crush on me. But every time Jiyong's parents came to visit, I expected Jiyong...nothing. They always told me the same thing, "He's doing fine. He's training hard so he's very busy." I knew he wouldn't be visiting me any time soon, but I still had hope. Now...It's been twelve years. He trained for six, and now his group reached their 6th year anniversary since their debut. Not once has his parents told me he asked about me. Slowly my hope started to shrink, and so right now it was like a speck of dust.

I sighed and whipped my tears away. The man already took down a wall and half of another, but that wasn't important. I was angry at Jiyong now. Going through our memories, I figured he broke his promises. He wasn't worth my tears. I looked down at my hand and stared at the ring. I didn't have enough courage to take it off. I exhaled loudly and leaned back in the chair. I emotionlessly watched the man take apart the tree house, for every nail of piece of wood he removed, my world slowly lost its colour. After Jiyong moved out, this newlywed couple moved in. Thankfully the couple planned on having children, so they decided to keep the tree house. My parents never bothered to make friends with them...it would be like they were replacing the Kwons; we could never do that. Twelve years later, the couple's children thought they were too old for the tree house, so now they were taking it down.

I sipped some of my lemonade and kept my eyes on the man. Suddenly I heard loud noises and rustling come from the house but I brushed it off. Probably the adults getting ready to make some food or something. The door to the backyard opened and I heard some footsteps come towards me, but I kept my eyes on the tree house. It might be one of the parents checking on me, Kalin, the emotional mess. Then I heard a deep voice; an unfamiliar one, but my heart raced like it knew who it was.

"Ah...What a waste. They're tearing down our tree house."

Our...? I slowly turned my head to the voice and my heart stopped. A man was facing the fence, watching the tree house being taken down as well. My eyes widened; was I really seeing what I thought I was seeing? "J...Jiyong?" The man turned his head towards my direction and smirked, "Hey cheonsa. It's been a while, hasn't it?" My grip on the blanket tightened as the mix of emotions confused me. I was angry, sad, happy, depressed, furious and excited. Right in front of me was the boy I was so close with twelve years ago. The boy I loved at a young age, but just didn't know it. I already knew what he looked like throughout the years, but to see him in front of me was breathtaking. He surely matured into a man. His hair was dyed a dirty blonde, for his next solo album I presume, and brushed back neatly. He was wearing a simple, black suit and dress pants with a white dress shirt, a few buttons undone. He was wearing black and white oxford shoes along with a few accessories from Chrome Hearts. As he noticed the troubled look on his face his eyebrows furrowed and he took a step towards me. Because I was so confused I took a step back and Jiyong looked hurt, "Cheonsa... Are you okay?" My mind yelled at him but I stayed silent: dont think you can just make everything okay by calling me that Jiyong! He took a step closer but I just stepped back again.

"Kalin-ah...I-It's me... Jiyong..." His voice sounded like a whimper from an injured puppy.

I looked up and met his concerned eyes. Did he not know how hurt I was? Did he not know how betrayed I felt? I finally got some shock out of me and my voice came back, "Y-You lied..." He seemed a bit taken aback as his eyebrows furrowed once again, "What...?" I finally stopped myself from moving back but in return my eyes started to water, but I didn't bother hiding the tears from him. "You promised you would stay by my side until the tree house was still up there. You promised you would be with me until the tree house was still alive. You promised me you wouldn't forget me when you got famous. You promised me you would visit!" Slowly my voice raised and the tears escaped my eyes. One by one they rolled down my cheeks as he stared at me in complete and utter shock. The last time he saw me, I was crying. Twelve years later he sees me again, crying. I needed to get things off my chest so I kept going. "You lied to me Jiyong! Why am I still wearing this ring anyways?! Why did I still have hope you would come back?! Do you know how hard it is to forget someone when they're everywhere?! Posters! Television! Stores! Everytime you show up I don't know what to do! Am I supposed to be happy to see you're doing okay?! Am I supposed to feel happy you left?! Am I supposed to be happy you have a new bestfriend who's always with you?!" I wanted to fall on my knees and let the tears that were building inside me for twelve years out, but suddenly Jiyong hugged me.

He softly caressed my hair and whispered, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." This feeling of safety. It was different from my appa's. I controlled my breathing and tried speaking, "D-Don't you know I think of you everyday?" He loosened his grip on me and stared into my eyes, "I did too. Every single day of training and every day since I debuted. My only thought was you. I told myself that I had to impress you. You were, and still are such a beautiful girl, I thought I wasn't enough. I wanted to be worthy of your prescence. I thought that...if I was an idol it would be easier to build our future together." My eyes widened and he chuckled. He removed his arms from me, but didn't move back. Our noses brushed many times he leaned just a bit closer. Jiyong pulled out his wallet and showed me a picture inside. It was...me. It was a polaroid Jiyong's umma took last time his parents visited. Jiyong smiled, "I asked my parents about you everytime they came back from visiting you. I told them not to tell you so I didn't seem creepy. I asked my umma to take this picture of you so I could know how you looked. Then today my umma called, she told me the new family in our old house was taking down our tree house. I begged my manager to cancel today's schedule and I drove here as fast as I could. I needed to see the tree house one more time...plus, I got to see you." Everything was all so touching, from his story to his voice. He sounded sincere, like there was no use in lying. A part of me was still furious, but a bigger part of me was overjoyed. I smiled and hugged him tight, "I missed you so much, oppa." He smiled and nuzzled his face into my neck, "I missed you too."

Then I suddenly remembered something and leaned away, "Oppa... What did you mean by 'building our future together'?" Jiyong blushed a deep shade of red and my heart skipped a beat. I've never seen him turn so shy before, it was really cute. "Do you think it's crazy to love someone since the age of ten?" I silently giggled and shrugged, "I guess," He seemed a bit disappointed but I quickly went on, "But then that makes me insane since I loved you at eight years old." Jiyong brightened and held me close again, his grin hidden by my hair, "Then I'll be a mad man." I laughed and he did too. This moment was my definition of perfection. We separated and Jiyong grazed the back of his fingers on my cheek and smiled, "I love your voice so much. I want to hear it every day." I bit my lip and felt my cheeks burn. I looked at my feet only to have Jiyong tilt my chin up and look into my eyes, "Don't look down. I want to see your beautiful eyes." I playfully pushed him, "Oppa, you got so cheesy." Jiyong laughed and cupped my face, "This is what you did to me. I spent twelve years thinking of lines you might want to hear. So, I'm going to use them all on you. Live with it, cheonsa." I nodded and slowly he leaned in, connecting our lips. Neither of us separated, letting our lips stay attached for a little longer.

We heard aw's and reluctantly separated. I turned my head and saw our parents huddled together at an open window, watching us. Even though we caught them, they didn't bother acting like they didn't see it. Jiyong and I smiled and he slowly moved both of his hands into his pockets, embarrassed to hold my cheeks. Suddenly my appa yelled, "I still approve of you Jiyong!" I laughed, remembering that embarrassing dinner. Jiyong laced his hand with mine like he used to and smiled, "You know, that dinner was supposed to be the night I confessed my feelings. You just didn't get it." I rolled my eyes and he chuckled. Just then, Jiyong moved one of his warm hands to my cheek and looked deeply into my eyes, a serious tone in his voice, "Move in with me Kalin. I don't want to be away from you anymore." My eyes almost fell out of their sockets as I heard the parents yell, "Do it! Do it!" Oh my, our childish parents. I bit my lip, "What about my parents...?" Then Jiyong's umma yelled, "They can move in with us!" My mom engulfed her in a hug as they all celebrated. I could hear them talking about their new grandchildren and our wedding. I blushed and Jiyong tilted my chin up again, squeezing my hand with his, "What do you say?" I looked into his mesmerizing eyes and nodded, "Of course." He smiled and pecked my lips, an addictive and pleasurable electric shock went through me. Jiyong hugged me tightly and whispered, "We can build a new tree house for our children." I giggled and nodded, it all sounded like a good idea. I held my pinky up and smiled, "Promise?" Jiyong laughed and linked his pinky with mine, our thumbs touching, "I promise." Jiyong pecked my lips once more, like he couldn't get enough of me, "I think my members are going to be jealous I have such a beautiful bestfriend, housemate, girlfriend, and future Mrs. Kwon. I never stopped talking about you." My face turned a deeper red and Jiyong laughed. He hugged me tightly and sighed, "I love you, cheonsa." I smiled in content and hugged him equally as tight, "And I love you oppa."

In my mind I saw our future. Our children would be playing in their tree house while Jiyong and I grew old together, watching them as we recalled all our own little memories.