If I Can't Have Her

Jar of Rainbow Cookies 무지개 쿠키의 항아리

 

Main Characters: Kwangmin, Hae Ra (OC) 

*Any similarity to any story is purely coincidental

 

He sat on the edge of the roof and glanced down at the people below, scurrying to their destination in the cool winter breeze. The street lamps highlighted the looks on passers-by faces. Some were happy, some looked bored, some looked annoyed. But they all had one thing in common: They had a purpose in life. They knew what they were going to do. The postman hurriedly pushed a few letters into the letter box, delivering important messages from other; a lady embracing her daughter before she lounges her luggage into the back of the car and drove off to her destination. Everyone had a purpose in life, except Kwangmin. As he continued to observe the people below, he leaned back on the pole before closing his eyes and allowing his memory to take him back to those days, when he had a reason to live and smile for…

 

It was the first year of high school when he just met her. She placed her books on the table beside his and surveyed her surroundings. “Annyeonghaseyo.” She greeted cheerfully, reaching her hand out to him, “I’m HaeRa.” Kwangmin nodded shyly as he stared at the girl before him. He cautiously reached his hand towards hers and held it in a warm handshake.

“I-I’m Kwangmin.” He stammered.

That was the first time they met, and ever since, whenever Kwangmin saw her, his heart would not stop pounding… That feeling was foreign to him, but he liked it. Having her by his side every day, playing and teasing each other in their free time, helping each other out in times of need, and cheering each other up. It did cross his mind, once or twice to ask her out, as his girlfriend. But he watched the way all the guys seem to go crazy over her and he would just back out at the thought of being rejected. At that time to him, even if he can’t have her, he was contented just to have her by his side every day.

He listened as she blabbered on about this new boy in school: How his fringe was so perfectly in place, his smile so mesmerizing, and … how much she liked him. Kwangmin smiled at every of her comment, silently thinking to himself how her reactions were so cute. He remembered following her and watching he from afar as she spoke to the new boy for the first time in the cafeteria. Her eyes glistened with joy as she strolled towards Kwangmin after that, sharing every detail of their conversation with him. Even if he can’t have her, he thought, then at least he hoped for Hae Ra’s happiness.  

“Okay have fun.” Kwangmin said to her as he shook his head, claiming that he was fine having dinner on his own. Watching Hae Ra link arms with another guy and strolling out of school, he turned around and headed towards the other gate, heading for the mall without his usual buddy. He glanced back at the couple striding side by side, teasing each other. A smile crept up on his face. He was happy for her. Even if he can’t have her, he knew she was happy where she is, and he truly felt glad for her.

He comforted her as numerous guys broke her heart one after another. Soothing her back, he pleaded for her to stop crying. He had a soft spot of her crying. Finally, he could no longer contain himself. With all the emotions he had suppressed within him in the past years, he finally confessed. “Hae Ra uh, I … I love you. Ever since the first day we shook hands on our first day of high school, I have always loved you.” Hae Ra looked up from the ground and wiped the streak of tear left on her face away. After staring at the boy before her for a moment, she slung her arms around his neck and sobbed quietly into the crown of his neck. It took him three years to finally confess his feelings, to tell her how he really feels. It took her three years to realize that the one who had never left her side the whole time, the one who congratulated her each time she had a new boyfriend, the one who made her laugh whenever she cried over a failed relationship, was Kwangmin. It took them three years, but it was all worth it. Finally, he had her.

He led her to the place where he had laid everything nicely. All his efforts of the past two weeks finally placed into action. The scent of roses filled their noses as they approached their destination. They set foot on the soft grass and Hae Ra took another cautious step forward, with Kwangmin behind her. Finally he removed his hands that were covering her eyes, revealing a tree with lights entangled on the branches and beneath it, a small white table with a plate of her favorite pasta laid on it. “Happy anniversary,” He wished as he gave her a little peck on the cheek. They had been a couple for two years already and though it was not smooth sailing, they enjoyed every bit of it. Hae Ra gasped in shock as she looked at the efforts of Kwangmin. She enveloped him into her arms and thanked him for the pleasant surprise. As he observed her as she placed the food into joyously, he laughed to himself. Now that he had her, he would not know what life would be if he lost her. If he can’t have her… what would become of him.

Her words repeated in his mind over and over again. Five years into their relationship, “I don’t love you anymore, Kwangmin,” was not exactly what he had wished to hear, especially on Valentines’ day. He knew in his heart, that another guy had already stolen hers, but he just did not want to face up to it just yet. He held ontot her hands tightly, refusing to let her go. She pushed his hands off gently and apologized before turning to leave, with no sign of sadness in her eyes. Kwangmin stared hard at the figure walking further away from him. “If I can’t have her, then I have lost my purpose in life. She is my everything.”

She ran into his embrace and he lifted her off the ground slightly as they exchanged a kiss before walking off hand in hand out of her workplace. Kwangmin watched from behind the pillar he was angered by their intimacy. That hug, that kiss, was his. But as he watched the guy that stole her heart took her by the hand and led her to his car, he could not help but feel pain and betrayal in his heart. Those five years he had put into loving her with all his heart had apparently not touched her at all. And by the minute, his growing fury took over him.

He held the shining weapon behind his back as he crept behind the couple, observing the two as they walked through an alley leading to their destination. It was already late into the night when Kwangmin started following the two dark figures. When they finally turned their backs on him and walked off without noticing his presence, he mustered all his courage he had in him and strode forward towards them. Tightening his grip around the black handle, jealousy in him grew as he took each step nearer to the two. Finally when he was near, he hissed at the guy, catching him off guard before lounging the knife forward, plunging it into the body. “If I can’t have her, then you can’t either.” He grunted as he loosened his grip off the weapon, the body falling onto his.

“Kwangmin uh,” that ever so familiar voice whispered into his ear in agony. Immediately, Kwangmin was snapped back to his senses as he held onto the frail body that was leaning on him weakly for support before her hands dropped to her side, slipped through Kwangmin’s grip and collapsed onto the floor, the knife stuck into her abdomen.

“Hae Ra! I … I didn’t mean to kill you! It’s supposed to him! Not you! I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry” He cried out desperately as he held onto his hand while Hae Ra’s new boyfriend grabbed onto his wrist in case he ran off as he dialed for an ambulance.

Sirens filled the air as paramedics and policemen ran into the scene, trying to revive the dying girl. Whispering another apology, Kwangmin wriggled out of the boy’s grip and ran out of the alley in the opposite direction. Unknowingly, his legs brought him to where he was, as he locked the door leading to the roof.

As his memory continued to take him through the course of his relationship, poundings could be heard on the door. He knew he had nowhere else to run this time, but he was not planning on escaping either. The warm, cheerful Kwangmin had disappeared. He once again looked down at the people below, walking about purposefully. As the pounding got harder, so did his breathing. He stood up and balanced himself on the edge of the roof, supporting himself with the pole at the side. “If I can’t have her,” he thought as he glanced back at the door, knowing that any minute now, the police are going to break through that door, “than I’m better off … dead.”

And with that, he slowly gives up on his grip and lets go of the pole, allowing his body to fall off the edge of the roof till he hit the floor, ten levels below … hard. 

 

 

hope you like the story ! Please comment and subscribe ! there will be more one shots to come ! ^^ we really enjoy writing one shots! Do support "What Does My Love Mean To You" as well!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR READING! *hugs* 

 

Special thanks to our new subscribers 2yendislove4musicIamJoeyKarraAriana !!! 

Credits to CrystalRainbow for the posters ! ^^ 

 

Love 

YooGeum