Grandmother's Wish

Irresistible Lips

 

Dong Geun came from wealth. Everyone in his family had some large sum of money. Whether it was old money or not. His grandfather and grandmother were the owners of Korea's largest wine distribution store. His father was a lawyer. His mother was a famous writer. Everyone in Korea knew of at least one member of the Shin family. They were Korea's power house family.  Everyone wished they could be apart of the seemingly perfect family.
 
It was true. On the outside looking in, it seemed like one big fairy tale. A large mansion where his mother, father and grandparents lived. A large loft in the middle of Seoul for DongGeun. They had four vacation homes. Two of them not even in Korea. Each member of the family had two cars. His father had three. 
 
However, with all that money, they were a very much broken family. Once Dong Geun's grandfather had passed away the family shattered. Secrets spilled out and destroyed everything. Dong Geun's father rarely left his study while he was home. And every member of the family all refused to keep a relationship with the man. Well all accept for his mother of course. Dong Geun held a strong hatred for his father, and his grandmother could no longer look her son in the eyes.
 
There was only one good and strong bond in the family. And that was the bond between Dong Geun and his grandmother. Ever since his grandfather passed away, he took care of her. He left his large and empty home to move in with her. He did everything for her. From doing her laundry to taking her to her doctor appointments. Within those three years he formed a strong bond with the woman. She was his best friend. The only one who was with him because of love, and not his money.
 
It was was this bond that brought him to the large mansion today. After being away for four years he had missed his mother and grandmother dearly and he couldn't wait to tell them about his adventures in the United States. Of course he would leave out a lot of the dirty details that they didn't need to know about, but he would be sure to tell them mostly everything.
 
"Dong Geun-ah!" His mother called out to him when he entered the home, kicking his shoes off and leaving them by the door. He looked up from his feet with a heart stopping smile, reserved for the two most important women in his life. The older woman walked over to her son, pulling him into a tight and loving embrace.
 
"My son, I missed you so much.." She whispered into his ear. From the shake in her voice he could tell that she was trying her best to hold back her tears.
 
"Umma..." He said, gently pulling out of her arms. "Umma don't cry. I'm home. And don't you worry. I'll be stopping by every other night for dinner. I promise." He said, holding up his pinky finger to show her he was being serious. His mother gave him a weak laugh cupping his cheeks in her hands.
 
"I'll be holding that to you. If you miss even one dinner I'm sending grandmother to live with you for a week." She threatened. Dong Geun fake gasped, before walking with his mother into the large family room. The furniture of the room was vintage, looking like it should belong to the Queen of England, and not a rich family in South Korea. Dong Geuncouldn't shake the large smile that formed on his lips when he saw his grandmother seated on the gorgeous couch, hunched over and playing cards on the century old coffee table. The old woman never lifted her eyes from the table, not noticing that the two had entered the room.
 
"Grandmother." Dong Geun said sweetly, his voice instantly changing. This was a tone he wouldn't even use with his mother. This voice was reserved for his grandmother and her only. The old woman let the card fall out of her hand as she looked up to see her grandson standing in the archway to the room. A small smile formed on her thin lips and she held up her arms for the other.
 
"Dong Geunnie. You're finally back." She said. The young male walked over sitting beside his grandmother on the couch, leaning into her embrace. His arms instantly wrapping around her as well. The old woman patted his back gently before looking up at the young boy.
 
"If you ever leave for four years again, you better visit next time." She said before slapping his shoulder and returning to her card game. Dong Geun let out a small chuckle his hand instantly going up to rub his now aching shoulder. This woman may be old, but she was far from weak.
 
"Mother, there's no need to hit Dong Geun..." His mother said, walking farther into the room, sitting down at one of the wooden chairs. The eldest woman looked up from the table, looking to her daughter with harsh eyes.
 
"He's my grandson. I will hit him if I want." She said sternly. The woman in the chair let out a long sigh, shaking her head in defeat. There was no use trying to win an argument with this woman. She would do or say anything to get her way. She always won.
 
"Grandmother be nice to your daughter. She's just looking out for me." He said sweetly, his arm moving around his grandmother's shoulders. The old woman frowned, looking over to her grandson and hitting his shoulder once again.
 
 
"Get your arm off me child." She said. "I'm not your girlfriend." she scolded, before once again turning her attention to the card game. Dong Geun frowned rubbing his painful shoulder again, sighing.
 
"Alright alright. So mom said you had something you wanted to tell me today." He said, quickly changing the subject. His grandmother glared down at her card game, finding that she had no way to win. She tossed down the cards that were in her hands before looking up at her grandson.
 
"I have cancer." She said simply. As if she had just told him it was raining outside. Dong Geun's eyes widened as he looked at his grandmother. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.
 
"Cancer? Cancer?! Since when have you had cancer?!" He shouted, tears already beginning to fill his eyes. Dong Geun was never a weak man, he never cried. But hearing this news was painful. He would be loosing his best friend. Who wouldn't cry at this?
 
"About three years." She answered, leaning back into the couch cushion. Dong Geun gulped, looking around the room and blinking furiously. He was doing anything he could to try and stop the tears from spilling from his eyes.
 
"W-why didn't you tell me? I would have come home sooner...I would have come home three years ago..." He said softly, rubbing his hands on his thighs, suddenly feeling his palms becoming sweaty.
 
"Because it's not that big of a deal." The old woman said watching her grandson curiously. Dong Geun stood up from the couch. He was furious.
 
"NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL?! Grandmother this isn't just a cold! It's cancer! You could die from it! And here you are acting like you just got stung by a bee or something!" He shouted. He never raised his voice to his grandmother. Never. But things had changed now.
 
"Shin Dong Geun. You will not raise your voice to me like that. You are the child. I am the adult. You do not do the yelling in this house. I do. Now sit down. I have more I need to talk to you about." She commanded. Instantly Dong Geun did as he was told, though his whole body was shaking. Both from anger and trying to hold in his tears.
 
"I have one request for you." She said. Dong Geun looked over at her carefully, raising his eye brow in silent question. The elder continued.
 
"The doctors said I have at least two years left. Three tops. And there's one thing I want to happen to you in that time." She paused, but didn't wait for him to say anything. "I want you to get married. I want to a great grand child before I leave." She said. Dong Geun's eye widened once again.
 
"Get married? You want me, to get married?" He asked. The old woman nodded. It was then that his mother finally spoke up.
 
"We were worried about you while you were in America. We have resources that tell us you spent all of your time with men while you were there. Even kissing some of them! We wont stand for this behavior. So now that you're back in Korea we want you to find a woman. One you can settle down with and start a family. It's time for you to grow up." His mother said, her voice serious and stern. Dong Geun's looked at his mother and scoffed.
 
"You think I'm gay now don't you? Look mom, in America skin ship is common. A lot like here, it's just a bit more...friendly I should say. When I was going out with friends hugs and kisses on cheeks were common when they got tipsy. It was nothing like you think it is. In fact a had a few relationships while I was there." He defended. He couldn't believe what was happening to him right now.
 
"Dong Geun I don't care what happened with you while you were in America. You're here in Korea now and that's all that matters. So for the next few month I have set up a blind date for you every other night. Each with women of high class, and each with women that would fit well into our family. By the end of these three months, I want you to give me an answer of which woman you want to be with." His grandmother turned away from Dong Geun, standing up off the couch.
 
"You first date is Friday night. I'll have my driver pick you up do you wont have to worry about any of the details. And don't you even try to escape. Now get out of here. I'm tired and don't want to talk any more." And with those final words the old woman left the room, disappearing down one of the many hall ways.
 
"Mother! You can't possibly agree to this!" Dong Geun shouted once his grandmother was out of sight. His mother sighed heavily, rubbing her face with her hands.
 
"Dong Geun this was my idea. Honestly sending you to America was a terrible idea. Now you're even less motivated than before to start your life as an adult. I'm sorry, but if you don't do this. We can and will cut you off. We'll cancel all of your cards, close all of your bank accounts. And sell your loft."
 
"I can't believe this! My own mother! Telling me if I don't get married I'm useless!" The boy stood up, wanting to shout so many more things towards his mother. However he bit his tongue, took long deep breaths, and looked his mother in the eyes. "Don't call me. Don't message me. Don't even send me a letter. I'll do this. But only because grandmother wants me too. Not to please you."
 
The woman before him eyes widened, and she wanted to speak, shout at her son, but the boy didn't give her a chance to. He turned and quickly left the house. However Dong Geunwasn't ready to go home. He had to tell this terrible news to someone.  But to who he wasn't sure. One name stood out to him when he scrolled through his contacts, and he punched the familiar address into his gps before speeding off.
 
"What a way to welcome me home..." he said bitterly.
 
---------------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: Forgive me for the long wait. I haven't been motivated, and the ending of this chapter is crap but I hope you all won't leave me ;__;
I plan on making the first few chapters introduction chapters to the characters. So this chapter was a glimpse into Peniel's life, sorta. The last chapter was was a glimpse into Sungjae's life. And the next two chapters will be about Minhyuk and Eunkwang and how they all fit into the story. Hopefully the next chapter will be out soon but I'm busy working on updating my many other stories that have been neglected as well /sigh
 
I will never get a break.
 
Anyways, for information about updates, and other things you're welcome to follow me on either of my tumblrs.
elliseon.tumblr.com (U-KISS, BTOB, VIXX mostly)
taozimin.tumblr.com (EXO, SHINee, and others)
 
And also my twitter