Chapter 7

Forever and Always.

 

The sky was already dark out, but Tao still hadn’t come down. Kris gazed forlornly at the two portions of instant noodles, the only thing he had confidence to cook, and sighed.

 

Well, it was one portion; Kris had finished his bowl already. He picked up his empty bowl and dumped it into the sink to wash later. Grabbing the warm bowl of untouched noodles, along with chopsticks and a spoon, he started to head upstairs to Tao’s room.

 

It didn’t take long, and soon he was just a heartbeat away from knocking on the door when it opened and Tao materialised in the doorway.

 

Kris’ reflexes weren’t fast enough to prevent his knuckles from coming down onto the most solid surface in front of it, Tao’s head.

 

“Ow! What the-“ He hissed and swatted the taller man’s arm away with greater force than necessary. “What the matter? I was just going down.”

 

Kris retracted his arm and stammered a whole deluge of sorries, which Tao just waved away.


“I- I brought you food. I didn’t think you were gonna come down.” He held out the warm bowl (which was kinda burning his fingers) awkwardly as Tao stared at it like it was gonna eat him.

 

“Oh. Thanks, I guess.” He accepted the food and nudged the door open wider so that Kris could enter.

 

“Come in.”

 

Kris sighed. Tao acted like the house was his, and Kris was having a hell of a time getting used to it. He didn’t like to share.

 

But deep inside, he knew that the house technically belonged more to Tao, him having lived in it for ten years and him only a week.

 

But still. He paid nearly two hundred thousand for renovations and everything.

 

He sighed once more as he gingerly sat down on Tao’s bed as directed. The bed felt like it was going to give way any second, with the springs creaking and squeaking. Tao sat on a more stable, but uncomfortable looking wooden chair.

 

Tao bit his lower lip as the scraping of metal filled the room.

 

“I loved jumping on that bed with my brother. We were just jumping on it the night the shooting happened.”

 

Kris looked confused. “But who was shooting at you?”

 

Tao shook his head. “I have no idea.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Tao crashed his fist against the wall and let out a pained groan. “This is all so ed up.” He gritted his teeth. “I don’t even know if they’re alive. What if I go back and no one’s there? Damnit, I don’t want to be alone.” He drove the heels of his hands into his eyes to stop the tears.

 

Kris’s breath hitched and he quickly moved forward to take Tao’s hands into his. The sight of him stirred something inside of him, something akin to near panic, or just not wanting the panda-lookalike to look or feel sad.

 

“Hey, don’t worry about it, ok? I’ll help you go back as quickly as possible. You won’t be alone. I promise.”

 

Tao looked up into Kris’ eyes. He emotions felt like a storm, swaying and raging and destroying everything he once held firm to.

 

But Kris. He felt that he could trust Kris.

 

“Really? You- You promise?” Tao’s voice was barely a whisper, but it was all Kris needed.

 

He nodded.

 

“But- we barely know each other. We’re practically strangers. Why are you helping me?” Tao tugged his hands away from Kris and stood up, shaking his head.

 

“No, I’ll go back myself. I’m not going to drag you into this.” He reached for the door knob and tried to twist it.

 

Kris immediately shot up, striding over to Tao. The other was standing stock still, trembling slightly and staring at the doorknob, apparently.

 

“Tao? Tao, what’s wrong?” Tao’s back blocked Kris’ view from whatever Tao was staring at. Kris grunted impatiently and went to Tao’s side warily, thinking that maybe he’d discovered a nest of cockroaches or something that could’ve made him this shocked.

 

When he finally got a clear view of what made Tao so shocked, he understood. And a sudden surge of fear like he’d never felt before rose up in him, like a vortex that everything out of him.

 

Tao’s hand was translucent, the door knob clearly sticking out right in the middle of it.

 

*:・゚✧゚・: *

ok so this didn't have Chanyeol. I'm so sorry gaize D: The chapters are just writing themselves idk what happened in this omfg.

Thank you all so much for subscribing!