FINAL

Meet Me Here

 

I was seated a meter away from him, for the thirtieth time now. He was wearing sky blue polo and faded jeans. He was much occupied with the book he was reading. With my head hung low, I pretended to be busy with what I was writing on my little journal but all the while, I was looking at him.

I jotted down every little thing I noticed about him since day one. It’s already a month since he started to hang out here. The first time I noticed him, he was wearing a cute, Rillakuma-faced t-shirt, khaki pants and sneakers.

 

I tried to steal another look but he caught me and smiled. I looked away and took a sip of my coffee. My heart was beating fast, ‘He smiled at me!’ I wanted to smile back too but I was afraid to look again. He might get the wrong notion and take advantage of it.

As I focused on my journal, I sensed someone was trying to move closer to me. I thought that it was just some kid playing around. But when I glanced at my left side, (He was seated on the far left side while I was seated on the opposite side) it was his face that greeted me. My eyes widened with shock but he just smiled at me. I was left speechless as his face came closer, as if he was going to kiss me. The smile was still there when he asked,

 

“What is that you’re writing on that little journal?” and tried to take a peek inside the journal.

“Why are you asking?” I asked as I closed the journal shut.

“I always see you with that one.” His lips pointed towards it.

“So? This is just my journal. Nothing else is written here besides yo—“ I was caught in mid-sentence, I was spilling the beans! I clamped my mouth and he smiled. His face was still close to mine.

“Besides who? You’re writing about me?” His smile was unbearable! He had really cute eyes, this was the first time I noticed.

“No, I’m not! Why would I write about a stranger like you?” I asked, trying to shift the subject into something lighter.

“I notice you look at me every time you write on that journal.”

“I don’t look at you when I write.” I defensively answered. I glance at you. Kekeke~

“Oh yes, you do.”

“Who’s your witness then?” I asked and looked deep into his eyes.

“This place,” he gestured around the whole park. “Is my witness.” He said and winked at you.

You blinked back the shock you got from him.

“The park doesn’t talk.”

“I know. But listen to it,” he closed his eyes and smiled. “If you feel your heartbeat singing with the nature then you’ll know the truth.” He opened his eyes and stared back at me.

“Try it.” He insisted.

I followed what he did a while ago. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply, taking in the scent of the place around me.

“Ask what you want to ask. If you close your eyes and you hear your heart beat, then what you’re feeling is true. If you smile at the thought, then it’ll happen.” he whispered next to me.

Do I like this guy beside me? I don’t hear anything, just the birds chirping and the leaves rustling. I feel my heart beat though.

What if he kisses me? I smiled at the thought.

“You know, this is stupid.” I said and laughed. When I opened my eyes, I saw another pair of smiling brown eyes staring right back at me. His face was close to mine. Very close.

“So, falling in-love is stupid?” he asked his face moving closer by the time.

“I-It’s not that. What you’re telling me to do is stupid. Hey, why are you in that position?” I asked as I noticed him kneeling in front of me. His face was 2 inches away from me, one move would do and we might end up kissing each other.

“I’m just curious.” He murmured and kissed me on the lips. What he did caught me off-guard. My eyes grew huge with surprise. His were closed, I noticed. He pulled away and gave me an innocent smile.

“What was that for?” I asked, trying to catch my breath.

“What were you thinking a while ago? When I asked you to close your eyes?” he asked and continued to smile.

The kiss! He kissed me! It was true!

“Nothing.” I blurted out.

“Why did you kiss me?!” I asked, trying to change the topic when I noticed blood rushing to my cheeks.

“Because.. . Just because.” He stood up and sat beside me.

“You just took away my first kiss.” I whispered to myself. Indeed, this stranger was my first kiss.

“I did?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“I’m sorry. I was just…” he cut off in mid-sentence.

 

“What’s your name?” he asked me all of a sudden.

I was still shocked from the kiss he gave me so he was the one who continued to talk.

“I’m Kim Joonmyun.” He said and stood up, taking his book with him.

“Wait!” I said as he started to walk away. He turned to look at me.

“Will I still see you tomorrow?” I asked as a smile appeared on his face.

“Of course. I’ll meet you here.” He said and walked away. My eyes followed him until his figure faded from my view.

I immediately opened my journal and wrote, December 23 4:00 p.m. His name is Kim Joonmyun. He kissed me on the lips. He granted my wish. I’ll meet him tomorrow.

 

The next day, I hurried towards the park. I was late, or maybe just too excited to see him again. I was panting when I arrived and he was there, standing and waiting for me. A smile appeared on his face when he saw me.

“You’re late.” He said.

“I’m sorry, Joonmyun. I was busy.” I answered as I tried to catch my breath. My heart was probably trying to get out of my chest.

He laughed and said, “That’s okay.”

I looked at him and noticed something changed.

“You-you trimmed your hair.” I said and touched his hair.

“Oh, this?” he said and ran his hands through his hair. At the same time he did, he caught your hand.

 

“I’m going to join the military service.” He said as looked into your eyes.

“What?” your ears throbbed uneasily. This is wrong.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered and stood there like a statue. He was smiling but I sensed that there was something more behind it.

I started to back out away from him. But then, I remembered the journal I was holding and I decided to say goodbye to it. Now was the perfect time to tell him everything I felt for him.

“Kim Joonmyun?” I called out to him. He answered me with a smile.

“I guess you must be very curious what’s inside this.” I said and handed him the journal.

“This is for me?” he asked.

“Of course, that’s why I’m handing it to you.” I answered and smiled at him.

Suddenly, without warning, a tear fell from my eye. He wiped it away with his fingers.

“Why are you crying?”

“You’re leaving.” I whispered in between broken sobs.

“I’m not gonna die.” He said and smiled again, but I knew he wanted to cry too.

“I know. It’s just that…”

“What?”

“Read the journal and you’ll know.” I answered and took a step backward. Before I could turn around and walk, a pair of strong arms pulled me in for an embrace.

“I’ll miss you.” He whispered.

“Me too.” I answered before I melted in his arms.

 

 

Two years have passed. Still, there was no sight of Kim Joonmyun.

Here I am, sitting on that same place where we first met. I miss him so bad. I want to hug him again, smell his sweet scent and watch him close his eyes.

But maybe… Maybe he’s gone. Maybe he already got married.

It was December 24, day before Christmas. He was still not here.

 

Okay, pack up and leave. Never come back to this place again. Joonmyun must be very happy with another woman.

Tears fell from my eyes as I stood up and walked away.

“Miss! Wait a minute!” a familiar voice called out from behind.

I turned to see who it was. KIM JOONMYUN. I immediately ran towards him and embraced him.

 

“I missed you!” I said as I punched him lightly on the chest.

“I missed you too. Wow, the journal was actually about me.” He said and smiled.

“Stupid. Why would I write about someone else when all I see is you?” I answered.

He only managed to muffle a smile and continued to hug me.

“You never told me your name.” he said behind my ear.

“It’s _________.” I answered.

 

Before a second could pass, he kneeled right in front of me as he held my hand.

“I have been waiting for the right time. And I want to ask you something.”

“Okay, go ahead.”

“When you closed your eyes that first time, what were you thinking?” he asked.

“You. And I wondered if you were going to kiss me and you did.” I answered.

He only laughed and continued on, “Marry me.” He said and held out a ring.

 

I only smiled at him as he inserted the ring on my finger.

 

That evening, we went out on a dinner. It was Christmas already.

“Merry Christmas.” He said and leaned in closer to me.

“Merry Christmas.” I answered and took the first move to kiss him on the lips.

 

Later that night, I wrote on the journal, December 25, Christmas Eve. We’re getting married.