02

Selfish

 

He was oblivious –no, scratch that –oblivious didn’t even begin to describe him. His naivety, his innocence was almost equivalent to that of a baby’s. He blamed her for that, for showering him with love and kindness and all that things that dreams were made of. His life had been made so easy by her. His negative thoughts were kept to a minimum, there wasn’t much in his life that he was unsatisfied about, the contrary, really.

 

Which was why, the moment she ceased her affection, he felt so thrown off balance. He was nothing more than a child who had fell from his bicycle, crying and throwing a tantrum at a pesky injury. He refused to get up and start pedaling again, not until she returned to guide him again. His life was exactly that, he needed her to be there to be his light during the dark times, his savior during the hard times.

 

Humans were naturally born with instincts, some more refined than others, but Kai, he was less fortunate. His senses were as dull as a blind man’s sight, his insensitivity was rather profound. In movies and books, the hero was supposed to know –he just knew, don’t ask why –when the damsel was in distress. Whether it was superpowers, ultra sensitivity, instincts or just a mere gut feeling, he lacked all that.

 

He was about to embark on his second trip to China, for yet another round of promotions of his band’s latest album. It was a hit success –sold out within an hour –the audience loved them and the media received them very well. There was little doubt that they would be just as popular in China as they were in their homeland. He hated to leave his girlfriend yet again, but duty called. He had no choice but to follow his company’s orders.

 

It was rather disturbing how different they had felt at that hour, so different he would have felt alienated from her if he knew then. He had just left home in one of his band mate’s car, on their way to the airport. She graced his every thought, he was already homesick from the second she left his sight. But her, she was sick of him. The idea of her being anything but hopelessly in love with him terrified him. He felt abandoned.

 

He was oblivious, he didn’t know. He didn’t guess nor suspect. Even though he missed her dearly, he had the time of his life in China, being on the road, performing in sold-out concerts and being awkward on national television. It was work, yes, but it was also his dream. Every single day, he lived out his dream and with an angel to accompany him, who wouldn’t agree that he was the luckiest man on earth?

 

Like always, dreams also tend to drag on forever. By the time they were released from their responsibilities, he was beyond exhausted and ready to go home to her. The house felt strangely empty and cold, when he entered, his greeting went unanswered. Something finally felt strange, where was she? She usually dropped whatever she was doing as soon as he texted her. She used to remind him of a puppy waiting for its master, but today, the puppy was nowhere to be seen.

 

It was Monday, he reminded himself, she probably went for her part-time job. “I have responsibilities like a real adult, you know. I don’t have fun on stage and get paid for it,” she used to . He smiled at the memory. An idea struck him, and his initial disappointment was swiftly replaced by a heightened excitement. What better than to celebrate their reunion after so many days than a pleasant surprise?

 

Of course he didn’t only mean himself, though he considered himself as a good enough surprise. Seeing that he had a good few hours to himself before she returned, he went on to bake a cake. All the ingredients and utensils were there to assist him, since she developed a love for baking them early last year. He decided on a simple chocolate chiffon cake, tasty but also seemingly incredible simple. He was giddy in anticipation for her reaction already.

 

After popping the cake into the oven, he immediately went to clean up, to present himself nicely. He was going to wear her favorite shirt on him, a black sweater with vibrant prints, a present from her last Valentine’s day. He put on his “special” cologne, a special fragrance reserved for exclusive events, and combed his sleek hair stylishly, trying out a trick taught by his hair stylist. The after effect was almost perfect, even he was impressed himself.

 

His excitement died little by little, eaten by the passing of time. Seconds, minutes and hours passed, but the door never opened. He texted her several times, but there was still no reply. It wasn’t like her at all, she never displayed such an act of irresponsibility. He was the irresponsible one in the relationship, not her. Something must have happened to her, he concluded. Worried and anxious, he quickly reached for his car keys.

 

A piece of paper – a note – fell, thanks to his clumsy, airy movements. He picked it up curiously. His grip on the paper tightened, successfully scrunching the texture. “W-What’s the meaning of this?” he muttered in disbelief as he read the words on the note over and over again. The words felt like a foreign language to him, he was unable to comprehend it. Or maybe, he just didn’t want to acknowledge it.

 

“How can you not know how I feel?” He didn’t cry, he couldn’t do so. His mind refused to even give him that slight comfort. He knew he deserved it, he loved her but he had taken her far too much for granted. She was always there, and it became a fact he became less and less appreciative of. Now that she was gone, his selfishness had come to an end, perhaps. His sin may be reduced now that she would be happy, but the lingering sense of regret would never leave him. It felt tattooed against his soul. 

 

 


I think I just broke my record for the longest oneshot ever. This chapter is all over the place, I apologize for that. I just wanted to write a sequel because @fxluna requested, as a thanks for reading? :)