Chapter 1

Perfect Circles

Ryeowook didn't like circles.

He thought they were too hard to make, despite the fact that he excelled in the arts and drawing. No matter what he did, he couldn't seem to make a perfectly shaped circle, without the use of a mechanical compass, of course. He tried and tried, but it looked like circles didn't want him to try, so he failed every time. He could always make straight lines however, in making squares and triangles - his father was an architect, so he sees things in a different perspective. Every space was composed by a set of points, and so you would have to connect these points in order to create a straight line. But for circles - it was a different case altogether.

His father on the other hand, can create these hard-to-make perfect circles, although architecture is often associated with being linear. Ryeowook idolizes his father - he would do everything just to become like him when he grows up, and be an architect someday. But, it seems like all good things came to end sooner than expected...

"Ryeowook," His mother called him, and he turned his head reluctantly, not before wiping the small amount of tears pooling in his eyes with the back of his hand. He picked up a big trolley bag from his side and rushed towards their awaiting car with his mother sitting on the driver's seat. He opened the bunk and squished the trolley inside, along with all other things that they needed. After that, he proceeded to the passenger's seat beside his mother, and settled inside their vehicle.

He looked at his mother for a moment, while she was starting up the car and fixing her seat belt. She looked back at his son after they were ready to go and smiled, her hands reaching up to caress his cheek lovingly. "Are you ready?"

Ryeowook nodded a bit and smiled back at her, his face nuzzling on her hand. She was beautiful indeed; his mother was still young - about thirty years older than him, but he believed that his mother can still be a candidate of Ms. Korea, and probably his late father would think so too. "Are they nice?"

His mother let out a soft chuckle. “Mom wouldn’t like them if they aren’t, right?” She, then, took a step on the pedal, and so the car lurched forward slowly at first, and then maintaining a constant speed as they headed towards their new house.

He had been staying in one room since he was a kid; he was an only child, the only boy that his parents had cared and nurtured for. And to think that he will have a new set of brothers soon...he sighed. He's excited, to be honest. A new older brother and another younger one - maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all...?

"You said he's studying at my school, right?" Ryeowook asked, his fingers twiddling on the cell phone in his hands.

"Yes, a year younger than you, I think." She replied. "The name's Kim Jongjin; the older one is already in college."

Ryeowook nodded at this, before chuckling. "Ah, isn't it a coincidence that all of us share the same surname?"

His mother laughed too. "A coincidence indeed. That means you don't have to change it when we get married for real."

Ryeowook was silent for a while, contemplating the fact that his mom was happy just thinking about marriage. "You're really going to get married with him, mom?"

"Yes..." She pursed her lips, as she swerved the car towards her left. "I'm sorry, Ryeowook-ah."

Ryeowook took a deep breath. Honestly, the fact that her mother would marry another man besides his father bothers him - he didn't want it. He knew that no one can replace his father no matter what, but... If his mother wanted it, he had no choice. He would have to get used to it; having a new father and getting over the fact that he's not going to be an only child anymore. He won't be the one getting all the attention any longer - and knowing this story of Cinderella having an evil step-sister...just what are the odds that he'll have two evil step-brothers going against him? But then again, there's no such thing as a fairy tale, so...

"It's okay, mom. I understand."

Suddenly, his phone vibrated, indicating that he had received a text message from someone. He glanced at the screen for a second, and saw that it was from his best friend, who apparently knew of his situation right now.

To: Ryeowook

Hey, did you guys leave already?

Ryeowook took the time to reply; even though he's really lazy to reply to text messages these days...his best friend was an exception. The younger male would annoy him endlessly if he wouldn't respond even with a single letter.

To: Kyuhyun

Yeah, on the way now. Why?

"Who's that?" His mother asked, seemingly still overprotective of his son - he didn't want him to talk to people she didn't know.

"Kyu," Ryeowook just answered, and that was all that took to make his mother relax. Kyuhyun was her favorite best friend of Ryeowook - he already proved the fact that he won't leave the latter's side no matter what problem; plus, he can help her son with academic difficulties.

"How's that brat? You're lucky he lives near our new place." She chuckled, while turning her car to a street which was familiar to Ryeowook - ah, Kyuhyun does live near them. At least that's some advantage.

Ryeowook laughed before answering, "Ah, Kyuhyun is always fine. Does that mean I can go to his place whenever, and he can go to ours, too?"

"Of course, Ryeowookie. I would be glad to see Kyuhyun too," His mother grinned, and stepped on the break pedal to decelerate into a full stop. "Are you sure you guys aren't together?"

"Mom!" Ryeowook's cheeks reddened slightly as he semi-glared at his mother. "Not cool. Not cool at all. Kyuhyun is just a friend, you know that!"

"So defensive, my dear little Wookie." His mother giggled as she unbuckled her seatbelt and pulled the car mirror so that she can see her facial appearance. "I don't mind, really. Kyuhyun can be the best candidate, to be honest."

"Mom!" Ryeowook was fully blushing now, as he got out of the car to escape his mom's teasings. It wasn't his first time to be teased with Kyuhyun, and his mother wasn't the first one either to point that out. Kyuhyun and he - ah, they were a popular pairing even at school. And Ryeowook...wasn't exactly sure of his feelings too as of the moment.

To: Ryeowook

Nothing. Haha good luck :)

Ryeowook smiled when he saw this and reminded himself to call his best friend later. His mother got out a second after, and motioned for him to follow her to the front door. Ryeowook followed her then, and waited while his mother rang the doorbell. He's about to meet his step-family now... His heart was beating loudly inside his chest - no one can really blame him if he's nervous. What if they get a bad impression of him? What if they don't like him...?

The door soon opened, revealing a man in his mid-forties, dressed in casual clothing - a gray shirt and khaki shorts. He was handsome, (but his father was more handsome, in his opinion) as he smiled to his mother, and to him. He firstly gave Ryeowook's mother a light peck on the cheek, and then turned to pat Ryeowook's head.

"Ryeowook! Am I right or am I right?" The man beamed at him, and Ryeowook could only smile shyly and nod his head. "Ah, the kids will be glad to meet you. Come in, come in! Wait a moment, I will call them- Boys! They're here!"

The mother-and-son entered the house slowly, taking their time to explore everything carefully. The house wasn't all that grand - just a simple structure with monochromatic designs with a black, red and white setting; it overall gives off a happy-family feeling, making Ryeowook let out a sigh of relief.

"Hyung, you meanie- HEY!"

A loud yell can be heard on the upper storey, followed by a thump on the floor. Minutes later, a young male descended on the stairs, making Ryeowook and his mother look up.

"I'm sorry about that; Jongjin was the mean one, not me." The guy said, his fingers ruffling his own hair as he hurriedly went down the staircase. He looked like he just took a bath with his wet hair, and a towel hung on his shoulder.

His father chuckled; he was obviously used to the both of them arguing nonstop. He went beside his son and put an arm around him as he faced Ryeowook and his mother. "This is Jongwoon, my eldest son."

"Yesung." Jongwoon growled, as his father forgot to mention him by his preferred name.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." His father laughed teasingly and proceeded with the introductions. "This is Ryeowook, and his mother."

Ryeowook and Jongwoon's eyes met for the first time ever - Ryeowook didn't have any other word to describe his new older brother but y - or maybe it was the effect of having wet hair and the wet look he was giving. Jongwoon thought Ryeowook looked like a girl at first sight, but didn't want to press on it out of politeness. Their gazes lingered for a little while, before a much more younger boy rushed down the stairs and gave his brother a noogie, earning a surprised yelp from Jongwoon.

"And this...is Jongjin." His father introduced, rolling his eyes playfully at his two sons. "Now, boys, help Ryeowook get their stuff from their car."

"We're on it!" Jongjin shouted and let go of his older brother's head before rushing towards the front door. Ryeowook and Jongwoon exchanged awkward glances as they followed Jongjin towards the parked car.

As soon as they were outside, Ryeowook pulled out the electronic keys for their car and unlocked it, making it possible for them to lift the cover of the bunk up. Jongjin hurriedly lifted it, his eyes searching for bags to carry. Jongwoon and Ryeowook followed soon after, with Ryeowook pointing out the things that are needed.

"I heard you're studying in my school?" Jongjin asked, wanting to start a conversation.

"Ah, yes, I'm in eleventh grade," Ryeowook answered, his arms seemingly trying to carry the heaviest bag so that it wouldn't be hard for the other two.

"Really? That's why you look familiar!" Jongjin beamed excitedly. "I'm in tenth grade!"

"I'll carry this." Jongwoon said suddenly, grabbing the trolley from Ryeowook and lifting it up effortlessly, much to Ryeowook's surprise. Jongwoon gave off a soft smile upon seeing the other's curious look. "You looked like you were having a hard time."

"Ah, thank you..." Ryeowook murmured shyly, and proceeded to carry a lighter bag instead. Jongjin's eyebrows raised at this, wondering why his brother became such a gentleman all of a sudden. The youngest among the three decided to in, wanting to be the center of attention.

"Hyung!" He called, making Jongwoon and Ryeowook look at him, although he really was aiming it to his new brother. "You look like a girl! Are you sure you're a hyung?"

"Kim Jongjin," Jongwoon warned, sending instant glares at his direction.

"It's alright," Ryeowook chuckled softly, his hands shyly fiddling with the hem of his shirt. "I have gotten that reaction lots of times already, and surprisingly, I'm not that much bothered anymore. And last time I checked, I'm actually a guy."

Jongjin nodded in realization, and gave Jongwoon's shoulder a nudge. The older male just made a face, as he started walking towards the front door along with the heavy bags. Ryeowook and Jongjin followed soon after, but not before locking the car and closing the bunk.

Ryeowook thought they were nice, and they were just the step-brothers that he was looking for. They weren't very criticizing, and they seem to help in not making Ryeowook feel very out of place. At least his mother managed to find another cool man too, along with his cool kids to go with it. He wasn't scared anymore, maybe just a bit - but the idea of having siblings wasn't that big of an issue unlike before, since he thinks that he will probably like his new family soon enough...or maybe like it more that he should.