Key-a Soul For My Birthday

Key-a Soul For My Birthday

I glanced down at my watch for the millionth time. Quarter of seven; my boyfriend was already 45 minutes late. Normally I would’ve understood. He has a busy work schedule and it’s sometimes difficult for him to get off of work. However, today was different because it was my eighteenth birthday. He promised to take me out to a fancy dinner and buy me anything I wanted. My heart sank a little further with each car that drove by; wishing Key’s sleek, black convertible would pull up to the front of my house.

“You can come inside,” my younger sister called out the window, but I shook my head.

“Oppa will be here soon! I can’t miss him when he comes!”

She let out a sigh and pulled her head back in the window. It was an awfully hot evening, so I was glad I had chosen to tank top I did. However, my black skinny jeans made up for it, keeping me sweating bullets.

I could just run in and put shorts on… No! What if oppa comes? I’ll just wait it out. He’ll be here soon.

Another car zipped by and I pulled out my phone with a frustrated sigh. There were no messages or missed calls. The thought of asking him where he was crossed my mind, but I didn’t want to seem annoying and impatient.

“Oooooppaaaaa,” I groaned, leaning my head against the lamp post beside me. “Where are youuuu?”

What if something happened and he got hurt?

My heart raced and I flipped open my phone. Hesitantly, I dialed the number for the coffee house Key worked at.

“Hello, do you know if Kim Kibum is still there?” I asked anxiously.

“I’m sorry miss, but he left almost two hours ago,” the man on the other end of the phone informed me.

“Oh… well, thank you.” I hung up the phone feeling more concerned than ever. “Two hours ago? Where is he?”

Just then a white Kia Soul came zipping up my driveway, honking its horn.

“Aish, who’s making all this noise,” I stood up in distemper, trying to catch a glimpse of the driver. However my eyes widened when I saw my boyfriend smiling and waving out the driver side window.

“Key!” I exclaimed, racing to the car in joy, relief, and slight annoyance. He slipped out of the car and I threw my arms around him. “Where have you been?! I was starting to worry!”

“Sorry,” he held me tightly. “Signing for the car took longer than I’d anticipated, and then there was traffic-,”

“You bought a new car?!” I pulled back in surprise.

“Well, it’s not for me…,” he smiled.

“Then who is it for?”

“Happy birthday!!!!” he shouted, throwing his hands in the air.

I stared at him with my mouth agape. “No way. There’s no way you bought this for me.”

“Didn’t I tell you I had something special planned?” he asked, jumping up and down in excitement.

“But Key-,”

“No buts!” he put a finger to my lips. “Try it out!” he opened the driver’s door for me and I stepped inside carefully.

“This beautiful,” I marveled, placing my hands on the steering wheel and admiring the great stereo system.

“Look!” he shut the door and ran over to the passenger side, climbing in. With a click of a button the speakers started blaring “Fantastic Baby” while rainbow lights danced to the beat. “It’s it awesome?!”

I stared in disbelief at my elated boyfriend; tears stinging at my eyes.

“Ya, why are you crying?” he pouted, wiping away a lone tear that had escaped my eye.

“I- I don’t know what to say,” I choked.

He gave me a comforting smile and I pulled him into a hug. “Thank you so much,” I whispered.

“Of course,” he chuckled. “I’d do anything for you yebo.”

“You’re the best boyfriend ever; and not just because of the car,” I gave him a squeeze.

“You’re my girl,” he smiled, pulling back. “I want the whole world to know.”

He slipped something off the dashboard and held it up for me to see. I covered my mouth with no words to say. This boy really did treat me like a princess.

“KBSeoul,” he read the plate out loud. “There’s our initials, and then I thought the Seoul part was a cute play on words. Plus, you did say that Seoul is where you want to live in the future. But, you can always change it if you don’t like it.”

I shook my head, “It’s perfect. Thank you so much.”

We embraced again and he kissed me on the cheek. “I love you, Brianna; my beautiful girlfriend.”

“I love you too, Key,” I smiled at the nickname that only I was allowed to call him.

“Now how about we give this baby a spin?” he smiled mischievously, dangling the keys in front of my face.

“Let’s go!” I grabbed the keys and stuck them in the ignition. Key fiddled with the stereo until Beautiful by B2ST came on.

“Because this song defines you,” he smiled.

I bit my lip, trying to hide my smile. “You’re too much!”

He laughed happily, then started fist pumping out the window. “Sing it with me!”

“So beautiful my girl oh oh girl oh oh girl!” we burst into the chorus together, shouting out the windows at the top of our lungs.