Puppy Love

Changing The Game

 

Hyesung scratched the back of his head while he scanned his eyes over the assortment of fluffballs in front of him. He sighed as he gently lifted up a sleek golden-furred Pomeranian puppy up to his eye-level and examined it carefully. Hyesung wasn’t really fond of dogs, but he thought getting a puppy was a brilliant way to have an excuse to see Eric more often. One of the store clerks, a peppy teenage girl bounced up to him and exclaimed, “Ooh she looks just like you. You should get that one.” Hyesung didn’t particularly like the thought of being compared to a dog but it couldn’t hurt if the puppy resembled him in some ways. He bought the puppy and made his way back to his apartment.

“Aigoo, what should I name you. You’re actually kind of cute, you.” Hyesung cooed as he ruffled the pup’s fur. “I think I’ll let Eric name you. We can argue over your name and I’ll pretend like I don’t like it, but really I will ‘cause it’s Eric and--”Hyesung stopped mid-ramble and looked down embarrassed. Dear God why am I acting like a teenage girl? He berated himself. Whipping out his phone he texted Eric.

-Hey I’m coming over in a sec. Are you home?-

His phone buzzed a few seconds later.

-Yeah-

Bypassing his apartment he headed straight to Eric’s place and knocked on the door. He fixed his hair and took a deep breath. The door opened to reveal Eric tiredly rubbing his eyes, clad only in a pair of pajama pants. Hyesung struggled to will away the blush that was beginning to paint his cheeks. Needing a distracting he quickly blurted “whoa sleepy head, did you just roll out of bed?”

“Yeah” Eric yawned as he pulled a t-shirt over his head. Hyesung was both relieved and disappointed as he made his way into the appartment.

“Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you up.” Hyesung mumbled but he made no effort to leave.

“It’s all good, it’s about time I got up any--- ooh who’ this?” Eric instantly brightened when he spotted the pup in Hyesung’s arms, and started its chin.

Hyesung grinned sheepishly. “Well a friend really needed to get rid of her so I decided to take her. She’s been whining all the way home so I thought maybe Gomdori could cheer her up some.” He lied, as he couldn’t very well say, “I bought a dog so I could have an excuse to come over more.”

Eric smiled and picked her up, bouncing her gently in his arms. “Aiyoo Gomdori get out here, look Mommy Hyesung popped out baby sister for you.” He joked, laughing. Hyesung smiled inwardly. Eric expected him to get mad, but he surprisingly said nothing.

“So what’s her name?” Eric asked as he squatted down and let Gomdori trot up and sniff her. Neither dog got hostile so Eric let her down to play.

Hyesung made his way over to the couch and Eric followed. “Actually, I forgot to ask what her name was. I was thinking you could help me pick a name.” Eric eyed him suspiciously. Hyesung didn’t generally ask his opinion on things, and when Eric gave it anyway it was usually rejected. Not that he was complaining. Hyesung was being surprisingly nice today. Eric decided to take a chance and be playful.

“You should definitely name her after her daddy so maybe … Erika?” He received a light smack to his shoulder. He laughed and started to think seriously about another name. He did somehow want the name to relate to him so Hyesung would think of him whenever he played with the pup, but it had to be subtle or Hyesung would reject it. He nearly fell off the couch though when Hyesung’s words broke him from his thoughts.

“That’s actually a pretty name. Erika come here!” He called to his new puppy. She barked happily and ran over to him. “I think she likes it.”

“I was completely kidding.” Eric said, too shocked to understand what was happening. Hyesung was probably kidding too, yup that was it.

“I’m not. It’s pretty.” Hyesung said boldly while running his fingers through Erika’s fur.

Eric’s mouth fell slightly open and he was completely dumbfounded. “Do you want something to drink?” He asked, standing up to prevent himself from tackling the man into a giant bear hug. There was definitely something up with Hyesung today, and whatever it was Eric didn’t want to push his luck. Maybe the distance had paid off? Maybe Hyesung figured Eric didn’t like him like that anymore so they could be friends comfortably again. Whatever it was, being overly affectionate would reverse it so he wouldn’t push it.

Hyesung was slightly disappointed. He didn’t know how he expected Eric to react, but he didn’t expect him to blow it off like that. He guessed it was better he didn’t think it was weird at least. “Uh I’ll just have a mineral water, thanks.” Eric brought him back the water and they sat in an  uncomfortable silence for what seemed to Hyesung like an eternity.

Hyesung was the first to break it. “So, how have you been? It seems like we hardly talk anymore..” he threw in a pout trying to look cute. Eric was startled once again. He reached a hand over to Hyesung’s forehead.

“Are you okay? You’re being weird today.” He stated bluntly immediately regretting asking though. Shouldn’t he just gladly accept the change in behavior? But still it was bothering him.

“I’m not acting weird.” Hyesung pretended he didn’t know what he was talking about.

“Well I’ve been OK I guess. Kinda bored and lonely, but you know, that’s how it gets after promotions are done and there’s a lull in activities. And we hardly talk anymore because I was under the impression that you don’t like talking to me.” Eric answered his question honestly.

“Why on Earth would you get that idea?” Hyesung again pretended not to know what he was talking about but Eric stared at him pointedly. Hyesung sighed “I know I haven’t been all that warm towards you and actually the reason is pretty ty, but it isn’t because I don’t like you.” He breathed out nervously. He knew Eric was going to ask him what the reason was and he wasn’t ready to tell him yet. Still he had to start somewhere to rebuild their friendship.

Eric raised his eyebrows and asked exactly that. “Oh yeah, what’s this ty reason of yours then?”

Yep. There was no way he could tell him yet. “Ermm… It’s rather embarrassing so I’d rather not tell you yet.” He worked up the courage to say and looked away as he felt his face heat up. God so embarrassing. This was not going how he wanted it to. He gulped and spoke again, “I’m not going to be like that anymore though. I really am going to be your beppeu like I promised.” He smiled referring to the promise he made during Eric’s hidden camera on Shinhwa Broadcast.

“Really?” Eric eyed him suspiciously, he was still finding this all hard to believe. He couldn’t think of any reason Hyesung would push him away that would be embarrassing. He was extremely curious now but decided not to pry. Maybe Hyesung wanted something from him or had done something that when he found out would piss him off. That seemed the most likely reason for him being so nice. Oh well, Eric was going to get the most out of this he could.

“Aish don’t look at me like that, I’m being serious!” Hyesung snapped. Eric had every right to be suspicious but it still hurt. Especially since it was his fault.

“Ok you better.” Eric leaned in for a hug figuring it couldn’t hurt. Hyesung happily returned it and squeezed a little harder than expected. It took every ounce of Eric’s willpower not to push Hyesung over and pin him to the couch. He figured he better get Hyesung out of there before all his repressed feelings bubbled out of him.

“Well it’s getting kind of late you should probably head home.” Eric patted Hyesung awkwardly on the back and stood up pretending to stretch. “Do you have dog food for Erika?” Eric smiled and relished the name on his tongue.

“Oh I forgot to buy some… maybe I should stay the night and we can buy some together in the morning. It gets lonely at home anyway.” Hyesung rambled desperately trying to avoid going home.

Eric was at a loss. What the ? Eric’s been trying for years to get Hyesung to sleep over at his place and now all of the sudden he invites himself over because he doesn’t have dog food? It didn’t add up. Hyesung must be in some deep if he’s trying this hard to cozy up to Eric.

“OK what the hell did you do or what the hell do you want that you’re acting this close with me?” Eric finally blurted exasperated. As much as he wanted Hyesung to keep acting like this, he didn’t want to get his hopes up for nothing.

“Uh … what?” Hyesung asked genuinely confused. He knew he’d slipped up and been too obvious about wanting to stay over but he hadn’t expected this.

“C’mon let’s be real. You don’t like me, you haven’t liked me for years and all of the sudden you act all buddy buddy like we’re the best friends in the world. You must have either done something that’s gonna piss me off when I find out or you want something from me so spit it out already.”

“I’ve never disliked you Eric!” Hyesung yelled out in frustration.

Eric, also frustrated, yelled back, “then why have you been treating me like crap all these years?”

There was a pregnant pause as both men clenched their fists and tension laced the air.

“It’s because I love you.” Hyesung said before he could stop himself.

 

 

 

 

a/n: Ok so I know Hyesung used to have a dog named Muri, and I don't know if he still does or not, BUT for the sake of the fic we're assuming he doesn't and that he doesn't like dogs. Also I'm not sure why AFF keeps rating these chapters as M ...

So here's the question, or no? I'm probably terrible at but I'll give it a try if you guys want.