CHAPTER 3

Friendship

 

          It’s been three months since the incident happen. After class, Nathan and Alice decided to meet at a café. Nathan arrived first because it was his idea to meet Alice there. Alice went to Nathan who sits beside the window.

 

“Happy Birthday, Alice” he greeted with smile. “Thanks” Alice smiled from ear to ear. She sat in front of Nathan. “Here” he reached out a cup of mocha ice to her. “I treat you this instead of cake. Is it okay?” “Of course. Thanks” she smiled.

 

          Nathan gave Alice a paper bag to Alice. She opened the bag and took out a small red box. She opened it and gasped in surprise. It was the bracelet with butterfly design on it that they saw the other day.

 

“Let me help you with it” Nathan helped Alice to put it on. “It’s beautiful. Thank you” “You’re welcome”

         

          The very next day, Nathan couldn’t accompany Alice to lunch. He had to do some research at the library and doesn’t want Alice to get bored accompany him there.

 

          Alice sat on a bench under a tree. She relaxed her mind with drawing on her sketch book without even bother about her surrounding. Without her noticing, her sneaker was untying.

 

          A guy approached her.

 

“Silent girl, your shoe was untying. Let me help you with it” Alice opened to protest but he bent down to his knee and tied her shoelace. “You don’t have to. I can do it” But still the guy did help her.

 

*Wait! Did he just call me ‘silent girl’? One of the Firebird members calls me that, right?* Alice thought eyes widened.

 

“Alice” he called, looking down. He lifts his head looking into her eyes. To her surprise, the guy was ISAAC. Why did Isaac who thrashed Nathan can be so nice to her? *Am I dreaming?*

 

          Isaac took out a stalk of fresh rose and held it out to her.

 

“Can you be my girl?” They exchanged gazes. Alice remains silent.

 

“Actually I fell in love with you since the day we met at the lane. I know I’m a bag guy and if you hate me, you don’t have to accept me” he looked to the ground. *Am I actually confessing to her?* he thought.

         

          Isaac was completely frozen. *I guest she does hate me* He gulped as Alice stood. To his surprise Alice took the rose and he looked at Alice. *Is this real?! Is she accepting me?!* Alice gave Isaac a kiss on his cheek.

 

“I love you too” Alice whispered. “I bumped into you the early semester. Don’t you remember? I fell in love with you since then”

 

          Dean, Dennis, Andy, Matt, Joe and Nathan came out from their hiding place.

 

“Yay! We got a new couple” Joe clapped. “You’ve been watching us?!” Isaac asked eyes widened.

 

“Yes. Why? Can’t us?” he poked fun of Isaac and Alice. Both Isaac and Alice red faced. Others just laughed.