Chapter I

The Music Box

He held the music box tightly to his chest. The corners pressed painfully against his skin, marking it with harsh red lines that faded far too quickly. One hand wrapped around the clasp, as though the slightest jostle would scatter its precious contents too distantly to recover.

A soft note resonated within, a feeble remainder of the last time it was wound. The sound choked out slowly, three tiny tones before halting abruptly. He shook it slightly, hoping it would play again. He considered twisting the wind-up key, but smothered the thought. To risk erasing the precious fingerprint was more than he was willing to accept.

His footsteps were loud and heavy, and he grimaced at the sound. She would have complained. Her steps were always taken with a light grace, her love for dance lifting her off the ground like an angel. He leaned against the wall, remembering.

***

She stumbled across the pavement, sheets of pastel pink paper slipping from her fingers as she fell. He scrambled towards her with worry, picking up the papers as they scattered.

“Are you alright?” She nodded fervently, accepting the papers with grateful thanks. “What are these for?” he asked, noticing the removable tabs lining the bottom of every sheet, her phone number written sideways on each one.

“I’m just looking for a piano player. Funny, being at an arts college and having trouble finding someone to play for me.” He looked to her with a question in his eyes. “I’m a dancer. I need somebody to accompany me during a dance audition.” His hesitation was momentary and fleeting.

“I play the piano.” She brightened under his cautious gaze.

“Really? Would you play for me? I only need you for four or five practices and the audition…It shouldn’t take too much time.” He grinned, a laugh escaping his throat.

“It’s no problem.” He extended his hand and she told him her name. "I'm Himchan." She rifled through her messenger bag, pulling out a clear folder with sheet music placed neatly inside. As she handed it to him, the soft yarn of her gloves brushed against his skin, and his hand felt warm from the contact.

“This is the music, if you want to try it out before we practice. And here’s my number,” she said, pulling a tab from the pink paper and placing it in Himchan's hand. “You could call me? When you’re ready to play it.” He nodded. “You have no idea how grateful I am! Thank you so much!” She waved enthusiastically as she ran to her next class, an elegant spring in her step.

He grinned and shook his head. She was captivating to say the least.

When Himchan arrived in the dance studio to play, she was tugging the piano to the room with a determined resolve. He approached her quietly, placing his hands next to hers and offering a helpful push. Surprised by his arrival, she jumped slightly, but smiled brightly as she recognized his face.

“Thanks! Are you ready?” He nodded, a sudden shyness overwhelming the atmosphere. He placed the sheet music on the piano, his fingers hovering over the row of keys. She nodded to him with an encouraging smile, and he began to play.

The notes resounded loudly in the empty room, yet her movement felt louder still. With every turn and jump her face took on an expression of pure bliss. He smiled in admiration. It would be wrong to say she loved the music, rather that the music loved her. The command with which she fulfilled every motion seemed instead to dictate the song, and he found himself constantly distracted from the piano’s melody.

A moment of silence fell in the room as she finished, biting her lip as she stared at him in the mirror.

“Oh! Sorry!” he said, jumping in his seat. “I didn’t mean to stare or…It was just…You’re a really good dancer.” His embarrassment melted away with the tinkling sound of her laughter.

“It’s alright! Thank you. You’re really great with the piano.” They smiled at each other a moment before he brought his hands to the keys once more.

“Want to do it again?” Her eyes twinkled in response.

“Of course I do. I could dance forever.”

***

She couldn’t. Himchan rested his head in his hands, sitting against the wall as nameless others passed by. The sky was darkening and it was time for him to return home. Could he? Even the thought was unbearable.