Luhan: Mistaken Letter

Oneshots

It’s been about three weeks now and you’re not sure what to do.

You may or may not have (naturally you have) left a confession in this gorgeous boy’s locker, Kris, and he hasn’t said anything yet. You pace incessantly in front of the classroom you know he goes into during lunch and pray he comes out with a warm embrace of acceptance.

“Um, excuse me?” a small dainty voice asks. Startled you jump to a stop and stare bewildered at the speaker. He’s a slight boy with sandy blonde hair you’ve occasionally seen around school. If you recall correctly his name is Luhan. Though you don’t necessarily know him you do know his friend, Oh Sehun (you have homeroom together and that sleepy eyed boy intimidates you horribly).

“Yeah, yes?” you reply distracted, eyes flickering to the door beside you with no attempt to be discreet.

“I got your letter and yes, I’d love to go out with you.” he says sweetly with a shy smile.

You freeze, heart sinking and blood running cold.

“I-you-my letter..?” you spit out stumbling over your words.

No, that’s impossible.

When you tucked the carefully enveloped letter into Kris’s locker you were certain it was his to avoid an uncomfortable mistake.

“Yeah, the letter you put into my locker, the confession.” he clarifies with an unwavering cheerfulness in his voice.

Oh my God…

He knows it’s a confession. That’s enough to convince you. You didn’t tell anyone else about it, you’d die of embarrassment if you did. Of course you thought you were smart enough to put it in the right locker so you didn’t bother writing Kris’s name even once.

This is bad, this is so bad. Why am I such an idiot?!

“Ah, um, listen I’m really sorry but that letter-” The door swings open beside you and nearly hits you straight on but Luhan pulls you out of the way just before it swings open where you stood a moment before. Surprised you stand stiffly against him, his arm protectively around you with a firm grip (much stronger than you first thought possible for the petite boy) your wrist.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Oh Sehun’s indifferent drawl demands with decided judgment. At his voice you immediately detach yourself from Luhan and duck your head, face burning with humiliation.

“I thought I told you, I was going to say yes to the girl who confessed to me,” he loops an arm through yours and leans into your shoulder, “see?”

To your utter dismay Kris chooses that moment to step out of the classroom. Towering over the three of you with his undeniable presence he pauses confused by the small crowd by the door. He gives Sehun a curt nod then studies you and then Luhan until his eyes fall on your linked arms.

“Hey, Kris, look! I have a girlfriend now, isn’t she pretty?” Luhan chirps, nuzzling his head a little too comfortably into your shoulder.

“Kris oppa, it’s-I-” you don’t know what to say. You want to tell him that you actually want to be his girlfriend but, you don’t want to burst oblivious Luhan’s happy bubble (or confess to Kris in front of Sehun). Despite barely knowing him you’re pretty sure the doe eyed boy would cry if you brought reality down so harshly on him without so much as a warning.

Then again you may cry if you’re stuck with him instead of Kris.

“I guess so,” Kris’s dark eyes give you another once over before snapping his head to Sehun, “I’ll see you tomorrow.” With that he walks away with his graceful long legged stride, leaving you behind with so many unsaid words and regrets.

“Bye, Kris! So, I’ll pick you up tomorrow at six, alright? See you then!” Luhan decides with a bright thousand-watt smile. Before you can respond, or manage a coherent thought, he pecks you quickly on the cheek and flits away with his stoic friend.

Unconsciously you raise a hand to your cheek. Where his lips had brushed your skin burns and you feel your ears reddening. You’re not sure why, you have no feelings, or opinion for that matter, for Luhan. Shouldn’t this reaction only be for Kris if he ever did the same?

You’ll never know, you have a date with Luhan instead.

***

Its five o’clock and you’re reluctantly getting ready to meet Luhan. At school you’d tried to find him and tell him the truth about the confession but the crowded halls and extensive hallways decided otherwise. Apparently he was old enough to drive (you were under the assumption he was your age or younger) and was going to pick you up promptly at six as he said.

A quick visit from Sehun assured that.

5:50.

You’re basically prepared for the “date”, not necessarily mentally but, you’re dressed nicely in a skirt and a blouse on the more casual side.

5:55.

Is it too late to opt out of this?

5:57.

Maybe by some miracle Kris will drive up instead.

5:59.

Crap.

Six o’clock.

To his credit Luhan actually does drive up when he said he would, six o’clock on the dot. With a heavy sigh you decide to give him this one date before letting him down as gently as possible and leave the sanctuary of your home.

“Hi, you look amazing.” he breathes stepping out of the (good God is that a Mercedes?!) silver car. You blush, unused to such sincere compliments and murmur soft thanks. Adorned with a blue polka dotted vest and bowtie you can’t help but think how cute he looks, against your adamantly unwillingly mindset. Hurrying to the other side he pulls open the door for you, shuts it once you’re strapped in, and returns to the driver’s seat.

“So, um, where are we going?” you ask, fiddling with the material of your skirt intently.

“A little place I know downtown. Don’t worry, you’ll like it.” he says avoiding your question with a pleasant grin. Without another word he peels out of the driveway and starts the drive to the “little place I know downtown.”

***

That “little place” was actually the nicest restaurant you’ve ever been to. The front door alone exuded the amount of class it contained. Honestly, you were dumbfounded by how easily Luhan led you to a table with that charming grin (one you’ve grown more fond of than you’d like to admit) never leaving his rosy lips.

The night started out rather awkward for you, Luhan having no problem supplying conversation, but eventually you caved in and let your worry go. You’re glad you did, you enjoyed yourself immensely. True to his looks Luhan was nothing but sweet and kind, full of infectious laughter and smiles.

It’s been about a month since then. You didn’t have the heart to tell him the letter was never intended for him. To tell him that would shatter the blissful spirit and bubbly happiness he’s accumulated from being with you.

You don’t want to do that. If you do you won’t be able to handle the guilt.

And you’re slowly starting to fall for him.

With every date you go on.

With every wonderful smile that curves on his perfectly pink lips.

With every gentle brush of those rosy lips that grace your cheek.

You’re falling for him, much harder than you’re willing to acknowledge.

***

“Hey,” you look up from the book you’re reading to signal you’re listening, the two of you sitting around his (much nicer than your own) living room, “I-I have something to tell you…” Luhan mumbles idly tracing a long finger on the back of your hand.

“What is it? They’ve decided to shut down that bubble tea place you love so much?” you joke nudging his side with a playful grin. The two of you frequent the little hole in the wall shop, Sehun actually showing up there (just as addicted to the drink as Luhan) often and joining you two for a pleasant chat. Luhan looks horrified you’d even joke about such a serious matter pouts habitually, as he does when unhappy or displeased.

“That’s not funny. I’m trying to be serious here.” he says eyes downcast with his head lowered.

You stop smiling and shut your book, turning to properly face him. Worry begins to worm its way into your mind. What if he’s sick? What if something happened to him? What if he’s moving away?

What if he’s breaking up with you?

You’d be devastated, or at least in shock. These progressive feelings you’ve built up while spending more and more time with him would only crack and maybe even break your heart.

“What is it? Luhan, are you okay?” you ask frantically taking both his hands in yours.

He hangs his head and stares at your joined hands for an impossibly long time, his own grip weak in yours.

“Luhan, seriously, you have to tell me what’s wrong or-”

Instantaneously his hands tighten around yours as his he lifts his head. With precise movements he pulls you toward him and you nearly fall into his lap. Your arms are thrown over his shoulders and your half in his lap while he wraps his unexpectedly strong arms around your waist. You’re not sure what’s happening, your heart pounding in your chest and making your blood pump madly in your veins. He leans his forehead against yours, noses brushing with dizzyingly minty breath that ghosts your skin. He’s so close you can count every individual eyelash fringing the warm chestnut of his eyes, every smooth curve of his porcelain skin, inhale the intoxicating musk and hint of green tea that he emits.

“I’m sorry.” he murmurs softly before erasing the space between you.

His words barely register in your mind, their meaning spiraling into the pool of nonsense that floods your thoughts. You’re only aware of his soft lips molding against your own with desperately earnest emotion. Eyes fluttering shut you kiss him back, your arms draping around his shoulders and pulling yourself closer.

A month ago you would never have imagined kissing anyone other than Kris. Now you can care less about the bitter faced boy and whatever feelings you used to retain for him. You can’t compare the chaotic mix of emotions you have right now. Everything is spinning out of control and you don’t care.

Luhan’s lips are sweeter than any sugar.

His arms around you are a refuge.

He’s everything you didn’t know you wanted.

And he’s yours.

When he pulls away you’re struck with a sudden chill, the space between you a desolate and unforgiving barrenness. You can’t think straight, breathless, dizzy, disoriented, and every other word of the like that’s slipped your mind at the moment.

“I wanted to do that at least once before I told you.” he says softly, gingerly tugging your arms off him. Still in a daze you don’t protest and allow him to draw away from you. Slowly gathering your wits you realize what he said and panic.

“Tell me what?” your voice cracks with blatant apprehension.

This can’t be the end, not when you’re just beginning to truly reciprocate his affection.

He runs a hand through his sandy hair and expels a long, remorseful sigh.

“You know how I told you that I got your letter in my locker?” he starts, wringing his hands distractedly.

You nod, wondering where this is going.

“Well…I lied.”

A long pause passes.

“I saw you putting the letter into Kris’s locker and he never uses it so, I tried to convince you it was mine. I got lucky that the letter didn’t actually say his name on it… I’ve just, I mean, I-I was jealous…” he mumbles avoiding your eyes with what looked like shame.

You let his words sink in, processing reality of you relationship. He lied to you. Your entre relationship is built on a lie. Part of you is disappointed in him for lying. The other is furious that he stole away the opportunity you could’ve had with Kris.

“Luhan,” he flinches as if you’d hit him, “I-”

“I’m really sorry, I really am. You have every right to never speak to me again, I understand.” he blurts preparing himself for rejection.

“Luhan-”

“I’ll understand if you hate me, I know it wasn’t right of me to force you into this.”

“Luhan-”

“If there’s any way I can-”

Luhan,” he shuts his mouth, shrinking with apologetic doe eyes and falling silent, “I don’t care.”

His demeanor instantly changes, jumping upright with hope. “Really?” he asks eyes alight but tentative as if thinking he heard you wrong.

Instead of answering you place a quick kiss on his lips and grin.

“Really, so, I’ll see you at six tomorrow, alright?”

He laughs ridiculously and throws his arms around to pull you into a bone crushing hug.

“See you then.”