Deal

Deal

 

You were walking in the park, Chunji by your side. He was babbling about the date that he just went on the night before, not really noticing that you were't really listening to him. You would usually be listening attentively, giving him feedback and your opinion on the girl, but something was nagging at your mind. You did pick up on some of his words though and concluded that he had a great time with her, whoever she was. Chunji went on so many dates that you could barely keep track of which date was with which girl. And he took the time to tell you about each one. Every. Single. One. But you guessed that just came with the territory of being his best friend. 

His best friend. That's what pretty much every one at school knew you as: Chunji's best friend. It was a blessing and a curse at the same time. A blessing because you were probably the only girl that was as close to Chunji as you were. You got to see the side of him that he would never, ever show to any of those girls that he dates. But it was a curse for the same reason. You got to see the rare, hidden side of Chunji because he would never date you. You got close to telling him your true feelings once, but words just wouldn't leave your mouth. 

'If I couldn't tell him that I like him,' you thought to yourself, 'how am I supposed to tell him this? Should I even tell him? Well, if I don't, then he's going to hate me for the rest of eternity.' 

Noticing that you were unusually quiet, Chunji stopped his rambling and look over at you. He furrowed his eyebrows when he saw the troubled expression that was on your face.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Huh?" you asked, his voice snapping you out of your thoughts.

"You seem a little troubled there," he chuckled.

"Oh, no I'm fine," you said while nervously laughing with him.

He immediately stopped laughing and gave you a serious look, "You're lying to me."

"No, I'm not!"

"Yes, you are! I've known you for years, ______-ah. I can tell when you're lying to me," he said, looking straight into your eyes, "Tell me what's wrong."

"It's nothing," you mumbled looking at the ground. 

"Are you feeling sick?" he asked and placed a hand on your forehead.

"No."

"Did you get a low mark on your last test?" he tried again.

You let out a sigh, "No, it has nothing to do with my grades."

"Oh, is it 'that time of the month'?" he asked with a sympathetic expression on his face.

You scoffed and shot him a glare, "No! It's not 'that time of the month'!"

"Well what's wrong?!" he asked, almost yelling out his question.

"It's nothing!"

"Just tell me!!" Now he was yelling. 

"Chunji..." you said as you looked around and saw people starting to stare at the two of you.

"I thought I was your best friend! I gue-"

"I'm moving, okay?!" you told him, cutting off his words.

You could almost feel the silence that hung in the air after the words left you mouth. You looked up and Chunji who was staring back at you with a blank expression and braced yourself for his reaction.

But, instead of getting angry, he bursted out in laughter. 

Well, you didn't expect that.

"That's it?" he said, still trying to control his laugh, "I thought you were going to tell me that you were pregnant or something!" 

You let out a little laugh as well. Leave it to Chunji to jump to the most ridiculous conclusion. 

"Whew~" he said as he wiped some tears from his eyes, "So where are you moving? To those new houses that they just built downtown?"

You laughter died as well, "Ummm no, not downtown. A little farther than that."

"Oh so you're moving to another city? Incheon?"

You slowly shook your head, "Farther."

"Another region? Chungcheong?"

You shook your head again.

You could see Chunji starting to get nervous, "Please tell me you're not moving to Busan. That's like four hours away by train."

You took a deep breath, "You can't get there by train, Chunji-ah."

"I can't?" he asked, his breathing starting to get heavy.

"I'm moving to Japan," you whispered.

Chunji suddenly stopped walking. You turned around to see him staring at the ground in shock. You went over to stand in front of him but didn't say a word. If it was him tell you that he was moving, you probably would have reacted the same way, if not worse. 

"Why?" you heard him ask, his voice barely audible. 

"My dad's company transferred him to their branch in Hokkaido. My mom doesn't want our family to but separated so we're all moving there to be with him," you said as you looked down at his shoes.

"When?"

"In about a month."

The tense silence returned. You didn't know what else to say. It wasn't like you wanted to move away to Japan, but you didn't have much of a choice. 

"You can't go," you heard Chunji whisper.

You looked up to see Chunji looking back at you, tears in his eyes.

"You can't go," he whispered again while shaking his head, trying his hardest not to cry.

"I'm...I'm sorry," you said, tears starting to fill your own eyes.

"What about school?" he asked.

"I'll have to transfer to a school there."

"What about your friends?"

"I'll make new friends," you shrugged.

"...What about us?" he asked quietly.

You let out a sigh, "I don't know."

"You don't have to go," he said and placed his hands on your shoulders, "You can stay with me. My parents love you!"

"Staying here isn't really an option," you said, shaking your head.

"You can't leave me!" he yelled.

"Chunji!"

"I'm not going to let the give I love slip away from me!"

Your eyes widened when you realized what Chunji had just said.

"I love you, ______-ah. I always have," he said, looking into your eyes. 

You bit your lip as tears started to stream down your face and ran to Chunji, wrapping your arms around his waist and burying your face in his chest.

"I love you, too," you mumbled. 

Chunji wrapped his arms around you and resting his chin on the top of your head, a few tears escaping his eyes.

"I'm going to miss you," he whispered. 

The two of you continued to stand there in each other's arms. When the two of your separated, you wiped your tears with the back of your hand.

"Look at the two of us," you laughed, "Crying in the middle of the park. People must think we're crazy."

"Well, all I know is that I'm crazy for you," Chunji chuckled.

"Eyyyy~ so greasy," you scrunched up your nose in mock disgust.

Chunji smiled as he wrapped his arms around your waist again and looked deep into your eyes, "You're going to miss this grease."

"Yeah, I am," you said with a sigh, wrapping your arms around his waist as well. 

"But we can video chat, text, and call each other."

"And we'll still be in the same timezone," you smiled. 

"That's true," Chunji smiled back at you, "But for now, we have one month together so let's make it the best month ever. Deal?"

He unwrapped his arms from your waist and held out his hand, a small grin on his face.

You smiled back at him and slapped your hand in his, lacing your fingers together, "Deal."