Chapter 6

The Day You'll Die

 

“How are you feeling today, Miss Ward?”

“Fine. My mind’s less foggy now.” I replied, refraining from looking at the figure still sitting on the chair at the corner of the room. By now, I’d come to know this room like my own house. It was pretty sad.

“So the meds are wearing off. You should be able to think more clearly now. Do you know the date?”

I told him the date, day and possible time of the day; my full name, where I lived before and what I used to do before – also where I was now. This had become a part of the routine by now; I had practically memorized every single question he asked and in which order he asked them. This was also pretty sad, actually.

“What about your boyfriend? Where is he now?”

I averted my eyes from his sharp, blue gaze that seemed relaxing; but had always disturbed me. I looked at the figure sitting on the chair at the far corner, instead; as he looked back at me sadly, pleadingly.

“In his grave, rotting away.” I said openly; my voice didn’t sound as brave as my choice of words. But I had learned to ignore the pained gaze in the figure’s eyes. “He’s dead.”

“Do you still see him?”

“No, I don’t.” I answered, reverting my gaze back to him and looking at him without blinking. I was glad to know I still could lie with a face straight like a wall.

“Do you hear his voice?”

“No. Nothing out of ordinary.” I said again; just as I heard the figure sigh; but I had learned how to suppress a shudder. I’d had enough time.

He fixed his glasses on his nose and buttoned one button of his white coat stretching over his wide round stomach. When he started talking again; I wasn’t really listening. This was the same routine I’d been through for the last month. I knew when he’d say anything useful and it wasn’t soon. I turned my eyes to the figure still looking at me pleadingly.

“I’m here...” the figure said with the pleading voice that I knew he couldn’t hear.

No you’re not, I thought as he kept talking; you’re long dead. And I need outta here. Now. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i decided, lovelies, that there's no happy ending. soooo here goes the second part of this fiction. even i don't know what might happen. we'll wait and see. :3