Hyeyun

Click

 

Three months since your departure to America. Three months Woohyun hasn’t seen your face. Three months passed and it’s winter. You have been keeping in touch with the boys via email and social network sites. Woohyun, especially keep track of your journey the most. He is your best friend after all and he feels that he has this right to know what you are up to.

A month after you had settled in your parents’ house, you took up photography course at a nearby university. When Woohyun asked you why, you simply tweeted, ‘I don’t understand what all those photography books are crapping about’. He chuckled at that. You had been studying by yourself, and he can tell that you didn’t make it very far.

Woohyun wanted to ask more. Why did you choose to go back to photography? Is it because of him again? But he thought that if he asked more, it would just upset you. So he shrugged it off. If you are happy with photography, so be it.

 


 

“When’s Hyeyun coming back?” Myungsoo asks Rae. She is picking out clothes for Myungsoo, and Woohyun just so happened to be nearby getting his hair done.

“I don’t know. She didn’t tell me,” Rae replies. “Does Woohyun know?”

“She didn’t tell me either,” Woohyun says.

“Maybe she isn’t coming back,” Myungsoo deduces.

“Maybe,” Rae says.

Truthfully, Woohyun has this feeling that you aren’t planning to come back to Korea. You wanted to escape the past you had over here. Even if you plan to come back, it wouldn’t be so soon.

 


 

Another five months flew passed Woohyun. Winter’s gone and a new season takes over the country. And the distance between the both of you grew apart as time passed. You were busy preparing for finals and special projects you took up over the winter break. Woohyun himself had been pretty busy too. He had concerts and comebacks to prepare. He barely had time to talk to you on social network sites. And you never did neither.

He doesn’t know why, but this separation disturbs him. He thought he didn’t like you like the way he did with the old Hyeyun. He thought he would move on.

 


 

“Did you regret not stopping her from leaving?” Sunggyu asks Woohyun during dinner. The boys are having a day off, and they decide to have dinner at home.

Woohyun stops stuffing food into his mouth and looks at Sunggyu. “Why ask such kind of question, hyung?” Woohyun gives a light laugh and resumes eating.

Sunggyu sighs and looks at the rest of members. They are all equally as curious as he is. They want answers as badly as he is.

“I think it’s time you tell us how you truly feel about the Hyeyun, the one after the incident,” Sunggyu says. “We have been very patient to not question you about it for eight months.”

“We thought you would move on after Hyeyun had left, but you didn’t hyung,” Sungjong says. “It’s obvious you are still in love with her.”

Woohyun stops eating again and looks at s – or rather, brothers.

"The new Hyeyun is different. She tried too hard to become her old self just for my sake. From the way I see it, I knew she was not being herself. When she took photographs, she tried to imitate her old work. She had been very cautious with herself, trying to become somebody else. I don’t want that.”

“But she remembered right?” Sungyeol asks.

“She did. She had her memories back. But she said so herself that she couldn’t connect to it. It’s probably like memorizing something. It’s something she knows by heart but just couldn’t connect to it. She doesn’t have the personality.”

“Sometimes she does, doesn’t she? Sometimes she does have certain habits that the old Hyeyun has,” Hoya points out.

Woohyun thinks and smiles when he remembers that it’s true sometimes you do show some habits without you even noticing. It shows especially when…

“When she isn’t trying to impress me,” Woohyun says softly.

“I think Hyeyun still is the old Hyeyun we know,” Myungsoo throws in his thoughts. “It’s just that she has been focusing so much on becoming someone else, she didn’t know she already had it in herself.”

Myungsoo continues when no one stops him. “And the way Woohyun hyung treated her made the situation worse. She might have thought she wasn’t doing well enough and decreased her self-confidence.”

“Wise words from Kim Myungsoo,” Dongwoo comments and gives a low chuckle. Then he opens his mouth again. “Woohyun, if you guys started out as best friends, you guys should take that path again. If she still likes you, it’s not too late.”

Woohyun feels like banging his head on the wall. “Why tell me only after eight months?” Now that his brothers brought up the discussion, he can finally see the obstacles and paths. Why only now?

“We thought you’d be smart enough to notice it,” Sunggyu says. “Guess you aren’t that smart eh, Nam Woohyun.”

“But she isn’t coming back,” Woohyun says. “We haven’t talk for months.”

“Better man up and go initiate a conversation,” Myungsoo says. "Before she really really moved on."

 


 

That night, Woohyun tries to initiate a conversation with you. He wants to have his best friend back, and he is going to do it. He opens his chatting app and types.

            Hyeyun-ah, do you miss me?

He shakes his head and deletes it. He retypes.

            Hey we haven’t talk in months. Are you avoiding me?

Well, he didn’t say anything till now. Seems unfair to blame her. He deletes it again and retypes.

            Good day Jung Hyeyun, how are you doing over at the States? And, are you planning to come back to Korea for a visit or something?

He stares at the text for a minute or so before he is satisfied with it. He takes a deep breath and sends it. He tosses his phone on the bed and heads for the bathroom. He needs a shower to calm down.

After the shower, he enters his room and spots Sunggyu playing with his phone. “Hyung, what are you doing?”

“Spying on your conversation with Hyeyun,” he says.

“Did she reply?”

Sunggyu grins and tosses the phone to Woohyun.

Woohyun reads the message.

            Good day Nam Woohyun, I am doing fine over here. Perhaps a little busy with finals and stuff. I am about to forget how to type in Korean but thank God for this message! Refresh my memory for a bit. About visiting Korea…soon? Can’t promise you anything though. Sorry, best friend. Don’t cry okay? :P

Woohyun is about to burst into tears when he finished reading it. It sounds so much like the Jung Hyeyun he used to know. And to think that it’s coming from you, it gives him hope that, maybe, he and you can start all over. 

 


A happy ending? :) Still not the end yet.