Letting it out

Click

 

“Alright, let’s give her a call, shall we?”

Woohyun takes out his phone, attaches a microphone near the speaker, and dials your number. He is in the set of Strong Heart, and he was just talking about you. How the incident happened, and why he was worried. He revealed that you are Infinite’s official photographer, thus why making you close to the boys. He also revealed that you are his best friend and officially became his girlfriend a day before the incident.

The audience and the guests on set are ever so curious to listen to your voice. The girl that Infinite’s Woohyun lost.

“Hello?” your voice booms through the speaker.

“Hello, Miss Jung Hyeyun? We are calling from Strong Heart!” Dongyup, one of the MC, greets you. “We were just talking about you, and how are you? Is the amnesia going away?”

“I am fine. And the amnesia, it’s getting better,” you reply.

“That’s great,” Dongyup says. “We all know you were once very close to Woohyun, but now that the unfortunate incident has occurred, how do you find Woohyun?”

“He is really nice and very optimistic,” you say. “I think people would usually want their loved ones to recover as soon as possible, but Woohyun was really kind enough to let me take my own pace. He didn’t rush me or anything, so that’s good.”

“Of course. Woohyun, always the gentlemen,” Dongyup comments. “Miss Jung Hyeyun, I assume that you aware that Woohyun confessed to you the day before the incident? How do you feel about it?”

“I felt somewhat shocked. He told me after he gave me a nice prep talk over who I am, so I was really surprised. He literally lost his love of his life in a day’s time, and I was so impressed and touched that he did not have a mental breakdown. He was every enthusiastic when I met him.

“But I know deep down, it hurts him. I tried putting myself in his shoe, and I could imagine the pain. You know, to see the face of your lover everyday but it’s a whole different person inside. That’s why, I try very hard to restore those memories so that Woohyun can get his happy ending he deserves.”


It’s late at night. The street lamps light up the street with delight. You can spot drizzles of rain under the ray of light. You open your umbrella and off you go onto the wet street.

Woohyun finished his recording half an hour ago and he wanted to meet you. He said to meet you at the café that both of you had breakfast the other day. At late night, you remember the café is often quiet, which is a good atmosphere for such a gloomy night.

You arrive at the café in a few minutes. It sure is less busy than the morning. There are only three tables occupied. And one of the tables, there sits the man that wanted to meet you.

You let out a deep breath before walking towards the table. You hook your umbrella by the side of the table and take your seat.

Woohyun smiles when he sees you. He still has his make-up on and even with his hoodie on; you can tell his hair is still styled. He pulls down his hoodie when he notices where your sight is. You remember you once told him that putting on the hoodie while meal times is bad table manners. And you gave him a nice five minutes lecture about it.

“Ah about that,” Woohyun tugs his hoodie a little. “You once said that putting a hoodie on was –”

“Bad table manners,” you cut him off.

He looks at you, without blinking. That must have caught him off guard. Before he questions you about anything, you speak.

“So, why did you call me out?”

“Ah that,” Woohyun stammers a little, bringing himself back to reality. “It’s about what you said during the phone call. Oh, and thank you, for answering everything so… honestly. I don’t think they are going to cut out any off your voice.”

“You are welcome,” you say. “It’s the best I could do to help my best friend.” You flash him a smile at that last point.

Woohyun sighs before he speaks. “Hyeyun-ah, about what you said today, I was happy that you want to go back to who you once were, but it seems like you are forcing yourself for my sake. If it’s too much for you, you don’t have to. You don’t have to be her. You don’t have to act like someone you are not.”

You know this is bound to happen. You know your best friend Nam Woohyun is too kind. You know he is considerate. You know. That’s why you are in love.

“But I am Jung Hyeyun,” you try to reason.

“You know what I meant, Hyeyun-ah,” he says.

You know exactly what he means. But he doesn’t know what motivates you to do that. He doesn’t know a lot of things about you.

“Woohyun, I like you,” you confess. Woohyun’s eyes grow bigger. “I am confessing as me; the Jung Hyeyun after the incident.”

He sighs and leans back on his chair. “Hyeyun-ah, stop surprising me, and confusing me at the same time!”

“I am only going to say this one time: I like you, Woohyun, and the reason why I want to become her again is to be loved by you. I am not stupid. I can tell that you miss her badly. I can tell that no one can ever replace her. Not even any girl that looks exactly like her.

“The memories are back, Woohyun. I can remember everything, but I can’t feel them. I feel no connection towards them. Then I realize I can never be her again. I can never make you love me.”

Woohyun doesn’t know what to say. He wants to console you, but he is afraid his words may come out wrong. He never knew how you felt, and he feels really bad about it.

“What I said was correct, no?” you ask him. “That no one, not even me, can ever replace her.”

Woohyun hesitates. Is that how he really feels? It is true that no one else can ever replace the bubbly Hyeyun he used to have and love. But it is not to the extent that he doesn’t care for the Hyeyun now.

His feelings and thoughts banter back and forth in his head. How does he really feel about the girl in front of him? The girl who works hard to be who she was before just for his sake?

He looks at you again. He searches for your eyes. Much to his surprise, your eyes stare back at him. You are serious. And you want answers.

And just by looking at you now, he knows what to answer you.

“I am sorry,” he whispers.

You lower your eyes. You knew it. You start to feel the urge to cry, but you try to resist it. You can’t cry. Not in front of him.

You wanted to leave right away, but you suddenly remember something important you need to tell him.

“One more thing,” you say. “I am going to stay with my parents in America.”

“What?” Woohyun asks. There goes another topic that sets him off guard.

“Well, I am no longer useful around here. And I thought spending some time with my parents would be good, so I spoke to them earlier and they agreed,” you explain. “So, I am leaving tomorrow morning.”

“Hyeyun-ah,” Woohyun starts, but stops. He really doesn’t know what to say that will make any of you feel better. He doesn’t want you to leave. But he doesn’t want to stop you from doing what you want. And it’s quite true that you have basically nothing else to do here.

When you hear nothing else coming out from Woohyun’s mouth, you stand up. “It’s late, let’s go home.”

“We will go together,” Woohyun says before you leave all by yourself.


Even it’s just a few minutes away from both of your apartment, the silence between the both of you seems like it lasted for hours. Woohyun escorts you all the way to your floor.

When the elevator’s door slides open, you take a step out.

“Wait,” you hear Woohyun. You turn around.

“We are still friends right?”

You let out a light chuckle. “Are you breaking our years of friendship too, Nam Woohyun?”

A grin spread across Woohyun’s face. “Then can we take a picture together, best friend?”

“Of course,” you say.

Woohyun steps out of the elevator and takes out his phone. He switches it to camera mode and holds it up. He pulls you closer to him; so both of you can fit in the frame.

“Say cheese,” he says.

Click.

 


New main image! :O