VI

Arirang

 

“Are you ready for your brand new duty?” asked a crime boss who seemed to be from the North. The young man that he was talking to looked up at him and smirked.

            “When was I not ready?”

            “That’s my boy!” the older man stood from his seat and walked over to the younger man, embracing him from behind. The younger man had no reaction but the evil, menacing smirk he had on his face, the look that was plotting something evil.

            “Now I want you to go there and wreck some havoc. You are a powerful strategy, a key player.” said the older man. The younger man was still stoic in his seat but you could tell that something evil was brewing inside of him.

[THE STREETS OF SEOUL]

            During one of their breaks, Stephen ventured out into the city of Seoul in search of Park Bom. He had no idea what had transpired the day before so he continuously searched for her, thinking that she was in the Teahouse.

            Stephen wasn’t ready for what he would lay sight upon.

            “Bom?” he called from afar. He saw Park Bom sitting on the sidewalk, all her things with her in a bag, silently looking afar. The girl must’ve heard her name as she whipped aorund and caught sight of him.

            “Stephen!” Bom stood up hurriedly and ran to his arms. Stephen embraced Bom. Bom cried her heart out on Stephen’s chest, enveloped in his arms. Stephen wished he could figure out the reason for her tears but right now, he just wanted her to let all emotion out.

            “What happened?” he had to ask.

            “I ran away from Madame.” she confessed in tears. “She was too cruel.”

            “Why? What did she say? What did she do?”

            “She wanted me to meet this man. But I didn’t want to so she punished me.”

            “How?”

            “Flogged me, hit me. Good thing I was able to defend myself.”

            “How did you defend yourself.” Stephen never let go of Bom. He loved her too much and the sight of her hurt made him hurt as well.

            “I threw the vase at her and flogged her when she was unconscious.”

            “What about the other girls?”

            “I left them. I told them to run for their lives but I think they’d rather stay.”

            “Well at least you’re okay.” Stephen said. Bom pulled away from him and with her tears slowly drying, she felt relived to feel his presence nearby.

            “I don’t have a place to stay. I ran away, remember?”

            “I’ll rent you a room.” Stephen offered. “Don’t worry about the cost. It’s all on me.”

            “Thank you. But I’d like to help by working, too.”

            “What’ll you work as?”

            “A busker. A travelling entertainer. It’s all I’m good at.”

            “Alright.” Stephen nodded, smiling at her hopefully to give her strength. “When the war is over, I’ll take you with me to America.” Stephen took her hands in his and held her closer, making her feel that his promise was ever so sincere.

            “W-What?” Bom’s eyes widened with shock. It didn’t seem right that he wanted to take her with him to the United States but for someone like her whose status in life was low, it was an offer she couldn’t refuse.

            “Yes, I will take you with me to America.” This almost seemed like a marriage proposal to Bom but not wanting to believe right away nor jump into conclusions, she just pulled slightly away and smiled.

            “If you are serious...”

            “I am.” Stephen looked at her with a straight face, showing and proving that he was not lying. “What do you say?”

            “I don’t know if I can leave Korea.”

            “You’ll have a better life with me. I promise. You won’t have to work anymore. I’ll provide for you. I’ll give you the life you’ve always wanted to have.”

            “What does this mean? I don’t understand?” Bom was confused, with the sadness and distraught that she was feeling.

            “Will you?” Stephen gave a delighted smile, one that was sincere and had no trace of treachery in it.

            “I have to think about it.” Bom seemed overwhelmed. “It’s too soon.” With this, Stephen’s smile disappeared along with Bom pulling away from his grasp. Not wanting to restrict or hold her back, he let her go.

            Maybe it was too soon...Stephen realized. Though disappointed, he made his way back like a true sport, with his head held high.

OOO

            His name was Choi Seung Hyun but he went by the codename TOP. This man was the man from the earlier part of the chapter, speaking and making a deal with an old man who just happened to be his father. His father was a member of a highly organized spy unit in North Korea that looked to put a stop to South and American forces. Since TOP’s father had been convicted of several crimes and felonies over the years, he figured it was no longer safe to venture into the dangerous world of warfare and espionage. Instead, he trained his only son, the only male child that his wife bore amongst 3 daughters, and taught him all he needed to know about the undercover profession.

            TOP was a charmer, which added to his appeal and worked as an advantage in his work as a North Korean spy. He was like James Bond, slick, handsome, and intelligent. When it came to speaking, he was dandy yet articulate. When it came to fighting, he kicked in a classy, smooth way and when it came to figuring clues out, he was never outsmarted.

            Remember son, the enemy is watching your every move so don’t make yourself too obvious. his father’s words rang through his head, thus using them as his guiding light.

            Unfortunately that night, right after Bom and Stephen had parted ways, it was TOP’s time to attack.

            That night was also the first time in a long time that Bom would perform on the streets as a busker, relying on pennies and bills dropped into her can for her income. Though she had remarkable talent and a pretty face, Bom still doubted her capacities as an entertainer. Left with no choice, she began to sing on the sidewalk, attracting so much attention from onlookers.

            As Bom continued to sing, more and more passers by dropped spare change and small coins into the can that was at Bom’s feet. With each sound of a penny dropping was equivalent to a more energetic performance from Bom. It did her heart good to hear the clacking sounds of those silver units of currency.

            For the entire night, from 6 to 9 in the evening, Bom sang and sang good melodies until a crowd formed around her, tossing coins and bills at her feet. Just then, another busker with a guitar approached her and interrupted her performance.

            “Do you mind if I play while you sing and dance?” asked the other busker out of the blue. Bom’s heart jumped in delight as she excitedly nodded. The busker began to play his guitar and like a gypsy performer, Bom danced around, twirling about and picking her tambourine up, blending it with the guitar’s breezy melody. The more people were entertained, the more money was dropped into the can.

            Amongst the onlookers, unknown to Bom, was a very dangerous man. A man of the enemy.

            TOP squeezed his way through the crowd upon noticing the commotion on the streets to see what was going on. Like every man who laid eyes on Bom, his heart stopped with his breath as her beauty had dazzled him, catching him by surprise. No wonder there was so much commotion in the place!

            What a lovely sight to see! TOP smirked to himself. Bom did not know TOP and didn’t even know that he was an evil man so not even his supposedly malevolent presence could stop her from dancing to her heart (and feet’s) extent. Everybody loved her.

            “Thank you! Thank you!” Bom bowed at them, ending her spectacular street performance and making a good buck on her first night.

            “Now, my only problem is where I can spend this on.” she told herself. Bom bent over and collected all the money she had earned from the people and happily cupped the can in her hands. She turned and came face-to-face with TOP.

            “That was a very lovely performance there.” TOP complimented with a cold tone in his voice. Bom seemed intimidated by his presence but thanked him nonetheless.

            “Thank you, sir.”

            “My name is TOP.” he revealed. “Choi Seung Hyun. You can call me Seung hyun.”

            “Seung hyun.” Bom bowed. “I am Park Bom. Bom Lee, actually.”

            “I will call you Park Bom, as it is the name you first introduced yourself with.” he never smiled. All he presented was a face that was stern and stoic. Bom was unsure if she should trust the man or not but chose to do so, sensing no danger in him.

            “Would you like a job as a singer? You seem to have a lot of potential. And when I say a lot, I mean LOADS of it!” TOP excitedly said. “How would you like to perform at my personal bar?”

            “Personal bar?” Bom’s eyes gleamed with curiosity.” I’ve not been to one before.”

            “Well let this be your first time to visit one. It’ll be great, trust me.” TOP assured her. The gullible young girl followed suit and went with TOP.

            “I wonder what I’m going to do there.” Bom said

            “Oh, you know. What you usually do when you perform at a bar.” TOP said. Little did Bom know that she just set herself up for something far worse than what she expected.

[AT THE PERSONAL BAR]

            The personal bar owned by TOP, known as, simply put the “Personal Bar” was exactly like the Teahouse only much rowdier. Men were drunk and violently throwing bottles across the room, hurling them towards one another; drunk es and strippers dancing and affectionately showing their customers some love; bartenders quarreling with customers over alcohol and other petty matters. This was the scene at the Personal Bar, a far worse place than the Teahouse.

            “What is this place?” Bom meekly asked TOP who led her by the hand into the dark, crooked, and wild place. Men eyed her and ogled at her beauty,

            “Hey miss!” some hooted her way. Bom compressed herself, squeezing herself in fear. TOP sensed this and tightened his grip on her hand, tugging her further into the bar. The ladies gave her the evil eye, jealous of her unique beauty.

            “What is this place?” Bom repeated the question. TOP looked at her and arched his eyebrow. He refused to answer until they got into a dark portion of the room that no one seemed to notice. There, he sat himself down and ordered her to take a seat as well.

            “This is the Personal Bar and this is where you will work from now on.” he said.

            “But-“

            “But what?”

            “I just noticed that this doesn’t look like a place where I could show my talent.” she replied.

            “This place.” TOP started, pointing towards the bar scene. “Does not need talent.  All it needs is balls, s, and . That’s what you have to have to make it here.”

            “Why me?” Bom asked, eyes full of fearful tears.

            “No questions.” TOP leaned forward and placed a handkerchief on her face. Bom tried to fight back but it was stained with noxious gas, making her pass out in the sofa. He then carried her off to the back room.

            The back room was dark and dingy, not exactly the place you would let a living person stay. Since Bom was unconscious, TOP took this as an opportunity to hold her hostage. 

            “Boss, need help?” came a voice from behind him. TOP whipped around and saw his two best men, Daesung and Seung Ri standing behind him, willing to lend help to their boss. TOP smirked.

            “You guys stay here and guard this little princess. I have another scheme up my sleeve to work on.”

            “What do we do to her while you’re gone, sir?”

            “Oh I don’t know, torture her or something.” smirked their leader. He smartened his cloak and secured his pistol in his pocket. “I’m going to be away for the night. I have business to take care of.” With that, TOP took to his heels and left Daesung and Seungri in charge of the sleeping woman in the dark room. The two aides looked at each other, nodded and smirked. They knew what each other was thinking.

            The entire time, Stephen worried about Bom’s whereabouts since leaving the brothel where she lived. At this point, he was determined to fnd her and rescue her from whatever pain she was feeling.

            “I wonder where she could be?” Stephen told himself. “She couldn’t be that far off.” Stephen was at the headquarters, plotting their attack when  the Commander General came in.

            “MEN, LISTEN UP!” the Commander General entered in the scene and called the attention of the soldiers.

            “SIR, YES SIR!” was the alert reply of the strong and brave soldiers, including Stephen. They all faced their leader and anticipated his announcement.

            “I have brought in a Korean army specialist and strategist who will help us in our plans to win against the North.” the Commander General said. The soldiers suddenly became interested upon learning that someone who was actually familiar with the place would show them and teach them how to fight and defeat the North.

            “Here he is. Men, I want you to meet Private Choi Seung Hyun.” in came a man dressed smartly in a suit, nothing like those in battalions. He was tall, had brown hair and a stoic stare. His presence wasn’t enough to intimidate the brave American GIs  but enough to earn their respect.

            Wait a minute...TOP?

            TOP disguised himself perfectly as a war specialist and although he was, you know that TOP had something evil up his sleeve.

            “Good morning, gentlemen.” greeted the sly criminal.

            “Good morning.” Stephen stepped forward and greeted him back, extending his hand for a handshake. TOP took the soldier’s hand in his and shook it, smirking a traitor’s smirk.

            “Now, if you would gladly direct me to your planning area?” TOP asked. Stephen escorted him like a true gentleman to the tent where they would plan their attacks.

            “So this is where you get things done.” TOP looked at the place and smirked with contentment. He looked at the maps, the small marking flags, the pens. He could tell these soldiers knew how to plan and they planned well.

            “Yes. Now if you would gladly show us your techniques.”

            “I will.” TOP said. Stephen bent down and started to mark the map of Korea. TOP arched his eyebrow and suddenly changed the course of the conversation.

            “But I have one small favor to ask.”

            “And what would that be, good sir?” Stephen asked.

            “I know that you Americans make the best army weapons capable of massive destruction and guaranteed victories. I, as a Korean, am willing to help you by lending my father’s army.”

            “Ah. Your father is a general?” asked Stephen.

            “Yes. He has a great army of men, which I am part of and we would be more than honoured to be fighting be your side. But I am going to need strategy and weapons.”

            “Hold on.” Stephen stopped him, sensing a bit of an anomaly. “You’re supposed to help us strategize. But why is it the other way around?”

            “I will render my services when the army arrives and when you have handed in your weapons.”

            “Weapons?”

            “And techniques.” TOP continued. “We will fight by your side, sir.”

            “Are you sure this is not a scam or a hoax. Because honestly, I’m really getting very suspicious of your actions and requests.”

            “Scam? This is anything but.” TOP retorted. “I am actually here because I want to help you succeed. As a South Korean, I want the best for my country. We are actually very skilled fighters if only you could see. However, we lack the materials and the proper guidance. We trust in you Americans. You are a military superpower, always have been.”

            Stephen was somewhat swayed by TOP’s words because they were true and aside from that, he felt the same way towards his country and South Korea.  They had a unified goal and if they thought the same, they shouldn’t be stingy with ideas and arms.

            “Alright. We’ll lend you our arms and guide you.”  Stephen reluctantly agreed. TOP smiled confidently at him and placed a hand on the good soldier’s shoulder.

            “You are a good  man.” TOP said.

            TOP was, however, a traitor. With one hand on TOP’s shoulder, the other hand was behind his back, pushing on a recorder. Stephen was about to give American tactics away which TOP could use.

            The two were engaged in a night of plotting.

[MEANWHILE]

            Park Bom woke up and all she saw was pitch black. The room was dark and there seemed to be nothing in it but her and the four corners.

            “Where am I?! Where am I?! Help! Let me out!!!!” Bom banged on the walls, tripping every time she stood up. The darkness made it hard for her to see. She crawled her way around and upon reaching the front, hit her shoulder on a wooden surface.

            “The door!” she said with great delight. She felt for the knob, working her way up the wooden surface and when she finally got a grip on the knob, she twisted it but to her misfortune, it did not open.

            “What? Come on! Please!!!” she cried out. “HELP!” Bom violently banged away at the door when it opened all of a sudden, throwing her down on the floor.

            The lights suddenly came on and there appeared Daesung and Seung Ri, standing before her, their arms crossed on their chest. Judging by the look on their faces, she knew they meant no nonsense.

            “Who are you!??! What are you doing here?!? Let me go!” Bom begged. Bom was clad in the nightgown she wore when Madame flogged her, it was stained with dust and blood. Daesung picked her up and Seung Ri helped him carry her out of the room. Bom was kicking and screaming.

            “Please! Have mercy! Let me go! HELPPPPP!!!! HELPPPPPPP!!!!” Bom screamed for help, hoping that the people in the bar would hear her and come to her rescue but instead,  they ignored her, too caught up in their vices.

            “You’re coming with us!” Seung Ri said. They dragged her to the other room, one that was darker and more treacherous than the first one.

            Daesung unlocked the door and kicked it open. Seung ri and Daesung threw the dame in room, making her land hard on her back. Bom rolled over and looked at them with fearful eyes and begging them to release her.

            “What have I done to you?! Let me go, please!” Bom crawled to Seung ri’s feet for help but the cruel henchman just kicked her back down. Daesung locked the door and took out his iron rod. Bom knew what was to happen next.

            “No... please....”

            “Ally of the Americans!” Daesung angrily said as he stalked her with the iron rod.Bom inched further and further away but as Daesung got closer, he raised his arm in the air and beat her, clubbed her with the iron rod. Bom shielded her face with her arms but the force that Daesung applied to her body was too much that it left her scarred and bruised.

            “Pleaase...” Bom weakly sobbed, inching towards Daesung’s feet, hugging them and begging for mercy but Daesung was just plain merciless. The sadist he was, he struck Bom once more until she was left unconscious.

            All the while, Stephen was aiding the enemy he thought was a friend.