Back Story

Idiosyncratic Sequences

 

May 16th, 3016.

HEADLINE NEWS –

A new planet, bearing the identification of LCG178 (Large Celestial Body #178) has been discovered, directly north of our universe.

Laserscope technology made the find yesterday after sending out a beam, only to have the rays returned in a skewed pattern instead of all at once, signifying that the beams had hit an object. Upon further investigation and analysing the rays to the exact millimetre, it was determined that the object hit was in fact a planet – even more shocking, the details of a human-like-alien was also etched into the rays.

Scientists are on their way immediately. Stay posted.

Kyungsoo grips the newspaper excitedly in one hand, other hand delicately balancing a cup of coffee – unluckily for him, he has the habit of shaking when excited so the beverage ends up in a sad puddle on the table instead of in a happy puddle in his stomach, but he doesn’t care. The man in front of him apparently does, however, frowning and zapping the puddle up with a sheet of super-absorbent softened onyx.

“So will you accept the offer?”

Kyungsoo wants to hug the man but refrains from doing so, nodding excitedly for lack of words. The man’s lips twists into a smile. “Excellent. Our team is complete.”

---

For a 19 year old, Kyungsoo figures he’s doing pretty well. Skipped a couple grades here and there and somehow ended up with a PhD in language at the age of 18 – no big deal. On top of that, he knows how to cook, beatbox and he sings really well, but for whatever reason no one really wants to hear about those things when he mentions his degree.

So there he was, fresh out of graduate school and ready to face the world when he was suddenly snapped up by one of the many big-shot space science centers in the academic quadrant of the world – of course, he had no idea what they’d want to do with a teenager with a language degree but hey: one does not simply reject money.

And here he is now, being introduced to ‘the team’.

At first, he doesn’t believe it – he doesn’t believe that people this young could be so smart, but then he realizes who he is and he feels more at home – fellow intellectuals, that’s all. They all look like your average college-aged boy-going-on-man; kind of weird, crazy, admittedly handsome, ready to live life and enjoy it while they’re at it.

“Team,” booms the man (we’ll just refer to him as “Man”, because why bother with “the”?). “This is Do Kyungsoo. He’s in language, and he’ll be the final member of the team. Any questions?”

Everyone shakes their head.

“Good,” says Man, then looks from the team to Kyungsoo, nudging the boy in the shoulder playfully. “Say hi, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo waves awkwardly and everyone waves just as awkwardly back. Man chuckles. “You guys will get along fine.” Then he’s disappeared back through the sliding steel doors, leaving Kyungsoo and the 10 other boys alone in the meeting room.

“... Hi?”

--- 

(A/N: I'M SORRY THIS IS SO SHORT. /flails. More tomorrow? Or the day after tomorrow? I wanted to get a chapter up today, any how, which explains the length... OTL. THANK YOU GUYS FOR SUBSCRIBING, YOU'RE ALL PRECIOUS AND I LOVE YOU.)