The Point of No Return

Through His Eyes

Although Kris did offer Joohyun a divorce as an outburst when she cried uncontrollably on his shirt, the talk about divorce had never been brought out again ever since. Joohyun was drunk at that time so Kris assumed that she might have forgotten about it. He also didn't bother to remind her as he--for a reason he couldn't understand--didn't really want to think about it either. Therefore, Kris was very surprised when he came home from work and walked on to Joohyun who was sitting at the end of their king sized bed, putting her dresses into a black suitcase placed near her.

"Where are you going?" he asked her inquiringly while casually leaning on her door frame. His hands were leisurely crossed in front of his chest; his dark blue tie was already loosened and the first two buttons of his dress shirt were already opened.

Joohyun was startled: it was clear that she hadn't expected him to barge into their room without warning like that. She stopped folding her white blouse and put the blouse on the suitcase before she stood up, patted her ruffled white chiffon skirt, and turned back at him.

"You are home early," she commented while smiling warmly and inching toward him.

"Ah, yes. Yixing did his job well today," he remarked nonchalantly as he replied her smile with a small upward curve on the edge of his thin lips.

"Have you eaten yet?" She asked him softly when she was a foot from him.

"Yes, I have," he curtly answered while stretching out his left hand to reach out for the other end of the door frame, blocking Joohyun from leaving the room.

"Where are you going?" He asked him again while eyeing her who was trying to go through the blocked door.

"Oh, the kitchen," she quickly answered with a sweet smile plastered on her rosy lips, "Would you like a cup of your usual tea?" she asked him while gently pushing Kris' hand from the door. However, Kris didn't budge. Instead, he persisted with his question.

"No, thanks. Where are you going?"

Joohyun seemed to finally get his question that soundlessly made an 'o' form.

"Oh, you mean that?" She asked while pointing back to the opened suitcase near their bed. Kris nodded without looking away from her; his stare piercing her like a sharp knife.

A weak poignant smile formed on the edge of her thin lips before she answered him softly, "I'm going home, Kris."

Kris felt his heart plummeted for a split second but he quickly recovered his composure.

"Why?" he monotonously asked, feigning disinterest yet still staring fiercely at her.

Joohyun diverted her gaze to the floor; her hand was still ghosting on his arm, trying to move him.

"Well, we are going to be divorced so I think it will be better if I go back to Korea to take care of the paper work before you come," she croaked--clearly intimidated by Kris. The couple was wedded in Korea thus their wedding registration was also done in that country. Therefore, they divorce paper needed to be submitted in Korea as well. There was an uncomfortable tug on his stomach when he heard her said that word: the word he was avoiding for the last few days.

"I thought you were drunk," he muttered to no one in specific.

"I was, but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't remember anything we talk about that night," Joohyun answered softly; her fingers slowly left his arm.

"Why don't you ask me first? We need to take care of the documents together. I'll make Yixing arranged my schedule and we can finish it quickly in a few days," Kris curtly said. There was accusation in his tone, as if he was suspecting her of planning something else in Korea beside the divorce. Joohyun lifted her head and for the first time, Kris saw her glassy eyes--she was in the brink of crying. Another sad smile graced her lips.

"I want some time to think alone, Kris."


 

That night, Kris could hardly sleep at all. He shifted a lot in his end of their bed, deep in thought. If a time machine was ever invented, Kris would gladly spend all of his money to own one. To say that he regretted his decision to offer Joohyun a divorce is an understatement; he absolutely loathed it for a reason he couldn't even fathom. He remembered Joohyun cry on his chest a couple nights before as well as her glassy eyes just that night and felt guilt seeped into his core. Joohyun has longed to be away from me, he thought, I shouldn't be too selfish by holding her back.

The thought of Joohyun suffering pained him. Without warning, Luhan's velvety voice rang in his ear.

"Aren't you ashamed of yourself for torturing the poor woman?"

 Kris unthinkingly shifted to face her. Joohyun's pale yet beautifully sculptured face was curtained by her silky black tresses. He subconsciously brushed her bangs that covered her face. Was he really bad that she desperately wanted to run from him?

Twenty-eight years, he thought while mindlessly grazed his slender fingers against her smooth hair, you have been by my side for 28 years and now you want to leave? He sighed as he retracted his hand back to his side. His eyes carefully took in her features and carved it into his memory. He would--even if he didn't want to admit it--miss her: her long eyelashes, her pointy nose, her smooth and flawless cheeks, and her pink and tempting pair of lips. She was, after all, his companion, his little sister, his close friend for the last 28 years and the idea of losing her from his life scared him. Kris Wu was never afraid of anything but the lady slumbering in front of him was an exception.

 Joohyun had always been his excuse to be different from the image he had created. With her, he was--at least tried to be--gentle. With her, he would always take a second consideration. With her, he allowed the unnamable sin called cheating. With her, he tolerated other person's flaws. With her, he let himself to fall in love again.

Kris' eyes widened as the realization dawn into him.

He was in love with her.

Damn.

How could he miss it?

 

 

No.

Truthfully, he had known it all along. He was merely denying the fact all the time.

There was no longer electricity when their skin grazed at each others', no butterfly swarming his stomach, no redness hinted on his cheeks, no accelerated heart beats when their eyes met but it wasn't because he didn't love her. It was because he was certain that she would always be his. He knew that no matter how far she wandered, she would always come back to him because he was her home. Yet he was afraid to admit it because Kris Wu was all about pride and perfection. He couldn't stand the thought of being humiliated by a rejection. He couldn't love and not being loved back: it was too much of an embarrassment and his Wu clan pride was too humongous to accept it. Therefore, he tried his best to not show his feeling for her and waited for her to initiate it first.

Joohyun had gotten involved with various men instead but it didn't bother him: he was who she would come back home to. But now, Joohyun wanted to break away. She wanted to leave her sanctuary and be free.

Subconsciously, a recording of Luhan's voice was played back in his head.

“But Wufan, you should only let her go if you really don't love her. Only if you don't love her.”

 .

He would make her stay at any cost, including his damn pride.


 

When Kris woke up from his bed somewhere after the dawn--he didn't even sleep a blink that night--there was determination in his brilliant pair of eyes. He washed himself quickly and put on his usual work attire--plain white dress shirt, dark blue silk tie, and a black elegant tailored suit. He busied himself in his room with unnecessary paper works--only to spend the time, waiting for Joohyun to get ready. When he heard a soft knock on his door, his heart skipped a beat in anticipation.

The time has come.

During the breakfast, the Wu couple--which would soon be simply Kris Wu and Seo Joohyun again--sat across each other on their luxurious dining room. No word was exchanged between the two; only the soft noise caused by the silver utensils hitting expensive gold rimmed plates was filling the room. Kris didn't really pay attention to what he put into his mouth: he was simply watching Joohyun gracefully cut her meal.

Apparently, she felt his eyes on her that she looked up from her plate inquiringly. Her long hair was arranged in a neat bun, a light make up was applied on her already perfect face, and she was already wearing a white blouse matched with crème colored knee-length chiffon plaid skirt. A beige long coat was hanged on the chair next to her, alongside with her black suitcase which stood tall near her legs.

"When is your flight?" he asked her without actually meaning it. She already told him in the night before about it; he was only trying to make a conversation. Nonetheless, she still answered him.

"I'm taking off at 8.30, but I need to check-in in 6.30."

"I see," Kris nodded before looking back to his plate. However, he spoke again after a couple seconds.

"I've called Yixing earlier this morning and he arranged my schedule so that I get a week that I-we can use to take care of our divorce," he paused for a while, the word rolled too bitterly on his tongue, "but that is about three weeks from now."

He looked at her expectantly but she only blinked back at him. Nevertheless, she finally responded after she putted down her spoon and fork--she was done with her breakfast.

"But my flight is today, Kris."

"Just cancel it, heck, just miss it," he said a tad bit too quickly, "we'll just go together three weeks from now, with my private jet."

Joohyun was speechless for a while--mouth gaping and closing without a sound--but she regained her calm and stood up while avoiding his eyes.

"I need to go now, Kris, or I'll miss my plane," she said while quickly gather her coat and suitcase, heading to the door.

Kris put down his dining utensil and rushed to the dining room's door, blocking it with his gigantic body. His hand caught her wrist in a death like grip.

"Just wait for three damn weeks, can't you?!" he unconsciously bellowed at her and immediately regretted it when he saw her surprised expression. It has been a long time since the last time he yelled at her--it was when that man was still involved in their relationship.

"What is the difference of me leaving today and three weeks from now?! You don't love me so what is the point of staying?!" she screeched with tears b in her eyes while forcefully retracting her hand from his grasp.

Kris' eyes widened as he realized a big mistake he had made.

When Joohyun had been drunk, she had asked him to release her if he didn't love her and he had responded with offering a divorce. It was almost like he had told her that he would release her because he didn't love her. Which was not true since he actually did. And Joohyun had asked him to release her if he didn't love her. Could it be that just like him, she was waiting for him to confess? Kris took both of his hands to cup her face and gently tilted her to look at him. It made his heart ache to see her cheeks were already glistened with tears.

"Joohyun-ah, if I told you I love you, would you stay with me?" he softly asked her, his eyes gently stared at her. Joohyun visibly stiffened as she couldn't believe her ear. However, she refuted while fervently shaking her head, trying to make Kris' hands fell from her face.

"Don't joke around, Kris. I know you wouldn't mean it."

Kris was hurt by her disbelieve but he persisted nonetheless.

"But I am, Joohyun. I love you."

She stared at him in bafflement but she quickly shook her head and her little hands reached to his', weakly attempting to peel them off her face.

"Don't lie to me, Kris," she whispered in a trembling voice.

 Kris leaned down while tightening his hold on her cheeks.

"I’m not lying, Joohyun. I love you. What should I do to make you believe me? Please stay with me," he pleaded when their faces were only less than an inch apart. His eyes bored deeply at hers, showing his genuineness. Kris Wu had never begged—he was too haughty for such act—but in moment of despair like this, he had no choice but to do so.

"Twenty-eight years," she whispered bitterly, a poignant smile graced her lips, "twenty-eight years passed by without you saying anything and you expect me to believe that you love me when I'm about to leave?"

“Joohyun, please. I love you; please don’t leave me,” he murmured as he desperately closed the gap between them. He was emotionally drained as well as being tired from the lack of sleep that he could no longer think straightly and thus mindlessly attacked her lips. It was merely an act of despair, of hopelessness, of desperation—an emotion Kris never thought he would ever encounter—to make her stay with him. If his words could no longer reach her, maybe—maybe, he rashly thought—his action would. He poured all his heart on the kiss—all the pent up feelings in the past years gushing through the connection between their lips. He had always wanted her--he had always longed for her--but he was too prideful to admit it.

Kris had never kissed Joohyun like this. He had always respected her space and never initiated any skinship whatsoever—the only kiss they had shared before was the one in the altar—but this time was different. He nibbled on her lip in need; he forcefully kissed her deeper and deeper. Kris felt insecurity seeped into him as Joohyun’s lips was stunned against his, but then she slowly responded to him. She was kissing him back as passionately—if not more—as he did, pooling familiar warmth in his stomach. His tongue grazed her lips for a split second before entering her hot cavern. It took them another few seconds before he found himself engaged in a battle for dominance with her tongue.

He was getting dizzier by the moments but he refused to pull back: the kiss felt too surreal for him. However, the need of oxygen won over them and they broke apart, panting heavily. He rested his forehead on hers, wiped his lips with the back of his hand, and smiled softly at her.

He had won her back.

“Joohyun-ah,” he breathlessly whispered; their nose almost touching each others.

Joohyun looked at him from below her long eyelashes. However, instead of smiling back, a look of uncertainty graced her gorgeous face. She bit her swollen lip while averting her gaze from him. A troubled expression painted on her face as she gently pushed Kris’ chest away from her.

“Kris, I’m sorry, I still need to go. I need to sort out my mind.”

Her words pierced him like a million knife. His eyes widened in disbelief. How could she?

Kris was too frozen to respond that he stand still at his place when Joohyun pulled her suitcase passed him and walked out through the door. He thought that he had successfully convinced her to accept his love and stay with him but it turned out that he hadn’t. He stared blankly at Joohyun’s back that was gradually getting further from him; he was still not believing that Joohyun was really leaving him.

When he finally woke up from his trance, he punched the door frame angrily—so forcefully that even his ever loyal butler Zitao slowly walked away from him in fear. His knuckles were bleeding and the door frame was royally broken but he didn’t care; he couldn’t accept that she still leave him after he stooped so low, after he threw his pride away.

Damn.

Damn.

DAMN!

He ran his fingers through his golden locks in frustration, his blood dirtying his well treated hair.

He swore that he would get her back, whether she wanted it or not.



The End (of One shot)



AN:

Cue a surprise update! *Yay*

I wrote this one in  spurt of momment. I already imagined this part but I originally planned to write it after I wrote a chapter or two in Entangled Fate. However... I just kinda want to do this first, kkk... I'm sorry.

The continuation of this one will really only be in Our Entangled Fate because I don't really have anything else that I need to write in Kris' perspective, for now. I dunno if there would be any sudden idea hitting me again.

Thank you so much for all the subs, the comments, and the vote T_T

They are all really meaningful to me. T_T

This chapter is for all of you, guys T_T

I love you all.

 

With many-many thankful love,

himalayancat