Seeing Jiyong

Along for the ride

    "That's what you're going to wear," Sooyoung asked, sitting on my bed finishing off a half empty bag of barbeque chips. Two days had passed since the meeting with the investors. I had immediatley called Sooyoung who, apparently, had already known. She said the night after I e-mailed her about Jiyong she had looked him up to see if he had a Facebook or something. Apparently she had tried to call me but kept getting the 'busy' message.

Feeling horrible for blowing her off I had called her over an hour before my dinner with Jiyong at Little Italy to help me get ready. I looked at myself in the full-length mirror next to my room door. I had picked out black skinny jeans, a white button up shirt that was tucked in, a navy blue sweater, and colored Jimmy Choos. I frowned. 

   "What's wrong, It's what I usually wear."

   "Exactly. Have you seen the this guy- I mean Jiyong wears. You'll look like a nobody," Sooyong said, throwing her bag of chips to the side. Sooyong and I have always been the closest out of all of our cousins. During family reunions at our Grandmother's house we'd always sneak out in the woods in her back yard and pretend to be adventurers. That's also how we met Jiyong.

   Sooyoung and I had been staying at our grandmother's house during the summer. We were never aloud to play outside after dark but we always snuck out anyway. We had been playing as usual, finding our way to the old river that split through the tall trees. Sooyoung had jumped in the river and began splashing around, not worrying about her clothes getting wet. I had sat to the side and watched until I felt a pair of hands push me in.

   By the time I had surfaced Sooyoung and I saw a little boy around our age standing where I had been.

  "Why did you do that to my cousin", Sooyoung had asked angrily. He simply shrugged and said, "Because I wanted to".

   I smiled to myself. Jiyong was always so bold and daring, but Sooyoung was too. They always butted heads and I was the sensible one there to break it up. Somewhere along the way Jiyong and I had become close. We had a weird sibling bond that was almost as great as the one I felt with Sooyoung. That was until he moved two years later without saying goodbye, leaving Sooyoung and I to never see him again.

   "I don't think that matters," I said, returning back to what was happening now. Though I own a fashion publication company and had a great eye for it, I never really cared about fashion when it came to me. Clothes never seemed to look right on my body. I was far too short and my s were far too big. I didn't exactly have the model type of figure. Sooyoung, however, does. When we were younger I'd dress her up like she was my doll and take pictures of her. As we got older I pushed for her to become a model, but she became a lawyer instead. Which also suited her; she could never keep shut.

   "Yes, it does," Sooyong insisted before getting up and walking to my closet. As she did so I ran my hand through my too short hair for the thousandth time that day. I hated it. I really regretted Victoria talking me into getting it. I was the small; quiet type of girl who blended into the background. Not some idol who always had a different hair style every other week. But Sooyoung liked it, of course. She said it made me look more 'Sunny- like'. Whatever the hell that meant.

   Sooyoung reached into my closet and pulled out a colorful floral day-dress and a studded black leather jacket. I sighed.

   "Does that look like something I'd wear?"

    "You have it in your closet don't you?"

   "They were gifts from designers!"

   Sooyoung shrugged indifferently and threw the clothes at me. I sighed again. There was no arguing with Sooyoung. I watched as she grabbed her purse and slipped back on her leather flats.

   "Wait, where are you going," I asked, watching her walk out of my room door. 

   "I have court case I need to get cracking on. Good luck! Tell Jiyong I said hi," she said before rushing around the corner and out the front door. I waited silently as she closed it behind her before I began to change. The entrie time I was thinking of how to ask Jiyong to let his fashions be in one of my magazines. How awkward would that be? And how would I do that? Just say, "Oh yeah I remember when we did that! It was sooo much fun. Hey, be in one of my magazines"? I shook my head at the thought. I'd figure it out somehow. 

   When I finished I looked at myself in the mirror. Sooyoung wasn't half bad when it came to picking out clothes I guess. It looked pretty good. I grabbed by phone and purse and began heading out of my apartment.

   "Hello, Soonkyu," a deep voice said. I froze. There was only one person I knew who had that low voice. Choi Seunghyun.

    I turned around and sure enough he was sitting on my couch. I'd be lying if I said seeing him didn't scare the absolute out of me. I still remember my last encounter with him. Ever sense then I had been trying my best to steer clear of anything Choi Seunghyun. But apparently, due to the fact that he was now sitting on my sofa, I had failed miserably.

    "How did you get in here," I asked, gripping my phone tight, ready to call the police if he came near me. Seunghyun only laughed as if I had told the funniest joke he's heard all day. Then he suddently stood up and slowly walked towards me. I stood frozen, unsure of what to do.

    "I'm picking you up for our date," he said as if had already known. He looked at me up and down and his lips. "You look beautiful. Did you know I was coming?"

    I stepped back. I needed to get out of here.

    "I'm going out and I'd appreciate if you weren't where when I get back," I said quickly before turning around and heading to the door again.

    But I felt his cold hand wrap itself around my wrist and pull me towards him. He looked down at me and smiled before swooping down and catching my lips in his.

    I stood frozen yet again. The kiss wasn't exactly pleasent; but it wasn't unpleasent eaither. Wether or not Choi Seunghyun was a good kisser didn't concern me at the moment. I had somewhere to be. I hastily pushed him off of me. He looked down at me with that cocky smirk of his and began to walk towards the front door.

    "I'll let you go now Soonkyu. But we will have that date."

 

 

    I arrived at Little Italy at six-fifteen. I was fifteen minuets late for meeting Jiyong. I cursed Seunghyun on my entrie drive to the restaurant for making me late. It would have been okay if I wasn't going to make a buissness proposal apon seeing him again tonight. I was, however, glad that Seunghyun didn't force me to go on a date with him. I'd rather be late than not be here at all.

   "Um, is there a Kwon Jiyong here," I asked the hostess by the entrance. She nodded and guided me through the packed space. As I followed her my eyes scanned the people sitting at the tables. My heart began to beat faster as we neared the back of the resturaunt. I was nervous. Incredibly nervous. If Sooyoung or Chaerin were here they wouldn't be, they'd be filled with the same confidence that always seems to ooze from them. But not me. This was ridiculous, I shouldn't be nervous of meeting a childhood friend again but yet here I was.

    "Here you are ma'am," the hostess said before heading back to the front. I nodded at her and looked down at the man sitting in front of me.

    Oh my god, he was even better looking than the pictures. His facial features we're so soft yet sharp. His hair all in perfect place, and his smile bright enough to light up the entire room. He looked entirely different than he had when we we're children. He had grew up.

    "You can sit if you want," he said. I blushed. I was so stupid. How long had I been standing there staring at him? I probably looked like the biggest idot in the world. I quickly pulled out the chair across from him and sat my purse down beside me. He stared at me the entire time. His eyes going from my hair, to my face, then my chest.

    I silently cursed Sooyoung for picking out a dress that showed any sort of cleavage. She knew how insicure I was about my huge s.

    Once I settled I looked back up at him nervously. His smile returning as I did so.

   "You haven't changed at all," he said, slight amusement in his voice. I wish I could say the same about him. I could tell women at other tables we're glancing at Jiyong with starry eyes. All probably wondering who was that handsome boy sitting with the short blushing woman. 

   "You certainly have," I said. I was happy my voice wasn't as shakey and nervous as I felt. He smiled a slight closed-mouthed smile and began looking at the menu in front of him. Finally stepping out of my mesmerized state I began to look through mine too.

   "Why we're you late? I was beginning to think you stood me up," he asked flatly. I looked up to see him still looking through his menu with the same calm and unreadable expression on his face. He may have changed on the outside, but he was still as bold and blunt as I remembered him.

   "I-I'm sorry. I had some buissness to catch up on," I said before looking back down at the menu again. Jiyong nodded as if he understood before abruptly closing his menu and finally looking up again. From the corner of my eye I could see him slightly frown. He reached foward and pulled the menu from my hands slowly. I looked up at him with a confused look.

   "I'll order for us," he explained. If I was anywhere else with anyone else I would have snatched the menu back and said, "No thank you". Sooyoung and I we're what you would call femenists. We believed in women being independant and doing things for themselves. And one pet peeve both of us had was men ordering and paying when out on dates. But I bit my tounge as the waitress came back and Jiyong pointed to certain items on the menu and ordered our appitizers.

   He smiled as he handed the menus back to her, making her blush like I had, and she quickly walked away. And as she did so, Jiyong turned towards me and smiled sligtly.

   "So how have you been," he asked, staring at me again. , I wished he'd stop doing that. I smiled back.

   "I've been okay, thanks for asking. And Sooyoung wanted me to tell you she said hi," I said. When I said Sooyoung's name Jiyong smiled even wider. I don't know why, but for some reason I hated it when he did that. Why the hell did he not smile like that when he saw me? Sooyoung, who isn't even here, I mention her name once and he smiled like he'd found heaven on earth.

   "Sooyoung... I hated her," he said and laughed a bit. I couldn't help but to laugh when he did. Jiyong had always had one of those infectuous laughs. At least that about him hadn't changed as well. 

   As he calmed down a bit silence filled our conversation. We just sat there for a few minuets saying nothing. Him staring at me as I stared down at my fancily folded napkin nervously, my heart beating out of its chest.

   "You look a lot prettier than I remember," he stated bluntly, leaning back in his chair. "Maybe its your hair. It makes you look y."

  I looked back up at him, no doub't my face was as red as a tomato. But as I did look back up at him I noticed he still wore that plain expressionless face that made me even more nervous. 

   "Thanks," I said. "So how was America?"

   He shrugged sligtly, finnaly taking his eyes off of me to stare blankly at black and white picture of an Italian boat that hung on the wall next to us.

  "It was okay, I guess. I only went there to further myself in my carrer. I'm a designer," he explained. I nodded with a quiet, "Oh" as if I had no idea. Jiyong's eyes quickly shifted towards me as I did so, his eyebrows furrowing.

   "Wait, you own a fahion magazine company over here don't you? I'm suprised you haven't heard of me," he said, leaning foward in his seat again. I swallowed. , how did he know? He must have looked me up. How else would he have gotten the letter to my work address?

   He stared at me expectantly waiting for a reply. Now would have been the perfect time to ask if him and his designs to be featured in one of my magazines. As I was about to open my mouth it seems he had answered for me.

   "Ah, we're in Korea. My first fashion show was only last week, it must have taken time for word to get here," he said cooly. Though I nodded, I was secretly confused. He obviously knew how big he was right now, of course people in Korea have heard of him by now. Everyone in the fashion world knew.

   "Your appetizers," the waitress said, sitting down a plate of shrimp and a small bowl of dipping sauce in front of her. Jiyong smiled and thanked her before she blushed again then turned and took her leave.

   Jiyong sat and watched me intently, waiting for me to do something.

   "Have some," he said. I nodded obediently and took one of the shrimp before dipping it into the sauce and carefully taking a bite. And let me tell you, that sauce was heaven in my mouth.

   "Holy this is good," I said to myself then instantly regretted it. But when I looked back up, Jiyong was smiling like someone who had just gotten a joke.

   "I know right? They have one in New York. I ate there almost every night just for this," he explained and dipped some shrimp in the sauce himself and took a large bite out of it.

   The rest of the dinner went smoothly. We ate, talked occasionaly, and often had more awkward silences. But over all it went pretty well. When the waitress came back, as expected, Jiyong payed the tab. He slid my chair out for me and insisted I held his arm as we walked outside.

   He walked with me all the way to my car before finnaly letting me let go of his arm.

   "Thank you. I had a nice time," I said nervously. Due to the fact he was once again staring at me intensly.

   "The pleasure is all mine," he said before taking my hand and kissing it. His lips felt so warm and smooth on my hand, his eyes closed ever so gently as he did so. I was glad he couldn't see me because I was blushing harder than ever now. Him just kissing my hand oddly was the biggest turn-on I've had in years.

   He stood back up straight and let my hand go, staring at me once again. 

   "Drive safe," he said with a slight smile, patting me on my sholder before turning around and walking away with a certain swagger that made it seem as if he ruled the world. And I watched him as he did so, his kiss still burning on my hand.