Blue Paper Planes

Paper Planes

Krystal took the lid of the box that’s probably her most prized possession. You’re probably asking: Why a box? Well it’s not the box that’s important, it’s the paper planes that makes it special. And now you’re probably asking: What so special with those paper planes? Well these paper planes helped her get through the most difficult time of her life: senior year. But that’s not the only reason. When her older sister attempts to throw them away she'd always tell her: "No! I won't throw them. You know they remind me of Hun. I won't throw them. Not now. Not tomorrow. Never."

If there’s anyone who understands her the most it’s Hun. They never fought with anything. He wasn’t like her older sister who sometimes may be the best sister in the world but sometimes would also throw their sister relationship when a hot Hermes bag was at sake. The memory of the first time he sent her a paper plane was still vivid in her mind. The first paper plane became her comfort from her very first heart ache.

She felt so alone that time. Her older sister was busy with something that she simply shrugged her off when she came to her crying. Having no one to turn to, Krystal sought comfort to the tall walls that separated the Boy’s Department and Girl’s Department of Seoul International High School. She was cursing herself for believing her jerk-of-an-ex-boyfriend’s empty promises. She was so mad at her naïve personality that she didn’t notice him cheating on her. With her own BEST FRIEND!!!

Krystal was wailing out loud and crying her eyes out, never even caring if any passersby would shoot her confused glances. She had just wiped a couple of tears and was expecting another batch when she saw a blue paper plane crash land probably a meter away from her. Krystal was of course reluctant at picking it up first, but decided to do so because their school Director was a clean freak. She didn’t want to get in trouble. Until now regret for picking it up never got to her. Picking up the first paper plane he gave her; Krystal unfolded it as if reliving the day she got it. A smile painted her lips as she saw the familiar lanky boyish handwriting that wasn’t so pleasing but was her favorite handwriting.

I was just sleeping when I heard sounds. I wasn't sure if they're sobs. It's probably none of my business, but are you crying? If you want, we can talk about what makes you sad.


She was pretty sure it was from the Boy’s Department. Their school had this color coding thing; the Boy’s Department was all blue. From buildings to their uniform and of course the pen, paper and notebooks that they used. The Girl’s Department was exactly the same, but of course with the pink color. Even though Krystal didn’t know who he was, she poured her heart to him. I'm not the one to tell my stories to strangers. But he's better than nothing she remembered thinking as she wrote her reply. He comforted her until all the tears had dried up. He felt like the nicest person in the world. He's words were soothing. Something in him made her believe the words that he was putting on those paper planes. She even gave a though on how he's voice would sound like.

The next day Krystal went back to the same familiar spot contemplating whether to send a paper plane of her own. But how would she know if he was there? Deciding that yesterday was just lucky faith, she turned around leaving the territory of the walls. She was a bit sad that they wouldn’t be able to talk again. She ha
dn't had the chance to thank him properly. And of course she couldn't deny the fact that she enjoyed his company. She was making slow steps. Hoping that a paper plane would suddenly appear. Suddenly something hit her in the back of head. Instead of anger(which is probably the expected reaction from the irritable Krystal Jung), hope flared up inside her. She bowed her head down, slowly faced the walls again. Krystal never thought she’d be able to be extremely happy as she was, to see a paper plane.

From then on, they’d meet up every afternoon after class. He’d always be the first to send the paper planes. He was her only friend, after her supposedly best friend had an affair with her ex-boyfriend. Being herself was so easy with him. What ever she's caged inside her, he seems to always set it free. She wasn’t sure when she started considering him as her best friend. But when Hun once told her that he was glad to have her as his best friend, Krystal felt overly elated.

I’m glad you’re my best friend. Thanks for comforting me.

It was short. But she understood that he felt sad. He wasn’t accustomed to the fact that his parents were fighting. They became a shoulder for each other. They comforted each other through sad times. They were Hun & Jung; that was their friendship name. She introduced herself in her Korean name. And just like what he did she took the last part of her name, after all you don’t give strangers your name; do you? But they became more than strangers. She hasn’t seen his face but she knew everything about him: his favorites, his dislikes and probably just everything about him. Krystal felt so drawn to him. But she never realized that she already fell for him. Not until the last paper plane was sent by him.

It was before their graduation. Krystal was too busy with practices and preparations that she hadn’t met him for a week. She was sure he knew this too, because he was also graduating. She missed him so much. She’d prepared a paper plane to directly send him. This would probaly the first time that she initiated the conversation. This paper plane explained everything. Her absence and her plans on finally meeting him face to face.

Krystal was happily skipping and humming while making her way to the familiar walls that became her hang out place every afternoon. She stopped on her tracks as she saw three paper planes lying on the ground. Krystal immediately ran to each, thankful that the wind didn’t take it away and the janitor or janitress hadn’t cleaned it up.

The first two paper planes were crisp, a sign that he had sent it a few days ago. They weren’t important really. They were just asking if she was there. Krystal felt awfully bad. Hun even made time for her in busy times, while she just easily left him. The last one was fresh and clean. He might have sent it a while ago or yesterday afternoon.

This one was her most cherished paper plane. Unlike the other paper planes this one wasn’t in the box. This one went anywhere she goes. It never fails to awaken the butterflies in her stomach. This one made her feel like she was really loved. And this one gave her hope that one day (if they’d ever meet again), she would have her fairytale happy ending. Reaching for her purse she took out the paper plane she loved the most.

I have a pen that is blue. A friend that is you. Flowers will die, waters will dry. Our friendship would never fade. And so will my love for you. Jung I don’t know if you’ll ever get this. I just want you to know that I love you. I love you more than a friend. I wish I had the chance to confess my love for you in person or let alone to see your face. Although I don’t have to see to know that you’re beautiful. If you ever feel alone, please think of me. Think about the things that we’ve talked about. And if you ever feel unloved always know that I am here.