Flashing Snowflakes

Flashing Snowflakes

"You're going to be in EXO-M," they told him. "You're going to promote in China."

It finally dawns on Minseok—the reason why they've stepped up his Mandarin tutoring, the move to the dorm with four other Chinese trainees (and one Korean, thank God that Minseok has someone to talk to. No matter how fluent Luhan's Korean may be, sometimes he just needs a native.)

So he stays up late into the night studying with Jongdae, practicing phrases and probably screwing up much more than they succeed. It's times like this where Minseok wonders how Yifan does it, keeping track of four languages in his brain.

"I don't know," Yifan had said. "It just... happened?"

Months go by, until finally, Jongin is called in for filming for the first teaser. Nobody is surprised that he is the first, since he is undoubtedly one of the most talented trainees that SM has ever had.

They don't call Minseok in until they film the eleventh teaser (how many can they possibly need? he wonders) and his name is now Xiumin. He doesn't do much, just run around cars with Jongin—oh wait, it's Kai, now.

That's the only teaser he's featured in. He supposes that maybe he's lucky, because Baekhyun's teaser was pretty much just him in the background with a dog.

But then again, Baekhyun gets to cameo in TTS's music video.

Minseok just sits around the dorm or practices by himself with the other members have filming. He should be there to support his fellow members, but every time he sees them filming, he can't help but feel a little pang of sorrow in his heart.

He talks to Joonmyun (Suho, he tells himself) on most days. He knows that Joonmyun often feels the same way he does—his teaser was him sitting at some random table. Seven years of training and he gets to sit at a table.

But of course, he can never be truly angry, at least not outwardly. They both know that they should be grateful for finally being able to debut, but it's hard. Every time they run into SHINee, who are their sunbaes, (but Minseok is older than four out of the five members), Minseok can't help but feel a little jealous. Sure, he wasn't even a trainee back then, but to debut at the age of twenty-two when there are artists, some nearly five years younger, who've already been industry for three or more years, one can't help but feel envious.

~*~*~*~*~

Finally, they're filming the music video for their 'second prologue' song. Minseok doesn't understand why they don't just freaking debut already, but that's not his call.

Minseok is in the back for most of the choreography—Luhan, the doe-eyed boy who Minseok could not possibly believe was the same age as he was—taking front and center the majority of the time.

He doesn't mind too much, knowing that the focus is supposed to be on the Chinese members, but he does notice the extra stress put on Jongdae when he can't channel his Chen persona and his pronunciation falls flat. They help each other as best they can, but Minseok feels bad for him, into this world after barely a year. At least he had time to prepare himself.

They film MAMA next, all twelve of them screwing off with the giant, floppy robes, even Yifan (who's now Kris, which Minseok thinks is much easier to say—no tones), who always seems too mature for this sort of thing.

It's Joonmyun who finally brings them back to order so they can begin their chanting huddle. Minseok notices the slight grimaces that Yifan makes while they're mouthing the English, and when they say 'no one who care about me,' Minseok swears that Yifan outright scowls.

The filming goes on, outfits are changed, makeup is redone, and Minseok gets his little part where he screams his throat raw and thrashes like a madman. They for that a little, but he easily argues that they might as well make fun of Jongin, Chanyeol, and Yifan too, and nobody wants to because Yifan is just too scary.

They watch the filming, pointing out errors that need to be fixed and redoing shots until they're all sweating and drop-dead exhausted. They're congratulated for a job well done and bow to all the cameramen and coordi-noonas, then return back to the dorms.

“We're finally going to debut,” Zitao says, almost reverently. Zitao was another one who didn't have to wait very long, but his trainee period was by no means easy—bullied by the Korean trainees who felt threatened by him, jealous of him being able to debut.

“We are,” Yifan replies, tousling the maknae's jet-black hair. Minseok is jealous of Zitao only because he didn't have to do anything to his hair—even Jongdae, Yixing, and himself had to get their hair lightened a shade or two. He feels especially bad for Luhan and Yifan, because they had to go all-out with the bleach.

~*~*~*~*~

All too soon, the day of their Korean showcase arrives. In typical SM style, it's a huge affair, hosted by Super Junior's leader himself.

The showcase goes by fairly well, no major issues to speak of. Minseok once again feels bad for Joonmyun when he is given no opportunity to perform solo onstage—they play his teaser, but that's all. There are some awkward moments when they're asked to do aegyo, but luckily, those are foisted more upon the K members than himself. Jongin and Sehun fail numerous times, causing them all to laugh.

Then they all get on a plane to China for the next showcase, and it's then that Minseok truly begins to panic. He waves to the masses screaming at the airport as they depart the plane, trying to stick close to the managers so he doesn't get lost and have to find someone who speaks Korean to help him.

The reality finally begins to sink in—this is what his life will be now. Screaming girls and a humongous language barrier. It doesn't help that the main things he knows are responses to interview questions, none of which he's likely to be asked if he gets lost on the streets.

A few hours later, they're all backstage as the host speaks, too fast for Minseok to comprehend much of anything at all besides the odd word here and there.

Luhan seems to pick up on his worries, walking over and placing a hand on his shoulder. “It'll be okay. See those people out there? They're all here for us.”

It makes Minseok feel marginally better, but not much.

They have their performances, largely the same as the night before, only now M has more stage time than K. Minseok tries not to look directly at the audience, fearing that if he does, he'll forget his steps or lines.

Luckily they have a translator for the interview—probably because of all the K members, but Minseok is grateful anyways. He's not sure whether or not to cringe or laugh or blush as Luhan talks about the baozi thing, knowing that as soon as this is over, the internet is going to explode.

And of course, it's over once more. “We are one! We are EXO!” they call, then they wave and walk offstage.

K gets on the plane to return to Korea, and Minseok wishes so badly that he could go with them. He looks at Jongdae next to him, who eyes their Korean counterpart with wistful eyes, and knows that he feels the same.

A week later, the music video for MAMA is finally released. They watch the video together, fast-forwarding the intro because nobody except Yifan can understand it anyways and Yifan keeps making these weird little distressed noises every time he hears it. Jongdae starts singing when his part comes on, prompting everyone to join in, each doing whatever random part they feel like doing. Luhan does Minseok's part, whipping his caramel-colored hair around and smiling like an idiot.

Once the music video ends, Zitao decides to take over the computer, uploading more bathroom selcas on his Weibo, cackling as he does so for reason entirely unknown.

Then they come across the inevitable predebut pictures that people have found—Luhan still looks the same, only with black hair (and one photo where his hair is yellow-blonde and he looks like he sprang out of a shoujo manga.) Zitao looks the same, too, still taking bathroom selcas and one infamous photo where he poses with a Gucci sign. Yixing has his precious little moments from his childhood, and Jongdae has some school photos. Minseok's relieved that not too many pictures of him are up, just a few in his school uniform that his friends had posted on their Cyworlds ages ago.

It's Yifan's pictures that make them all start laughing, prompting him to snatch the laptop from Zitao's clutches and sprint off to the other room, cursing in a strange mixture of Mandarin and English.

~*~*~*~*~

A few days later, they make their debut on a Chinese show. Yifan walks up in all his faced glory, Luhan close behind, followed by Yixing, himself, and Jongdae (and the translator, thank God), and Zitao bringing up the rear.

The cheering is explosive, and Minseok can't help but feel completely overwhelmed. He hears 'Xiumin!' being yelled from the side, and he gives the girl an endearing smile.

The MC says something, and suddenly, the whole mood abruptly shifts. Yifan retorts something that Minseok can't quite hear, but whatever it is turns Zitao's expression darker than normal, Luhan's sunny smile to falter, and Yixing's face to remain blank. Jongdae and Minseok still have faded smiles on their faces, but neither one dares to ask what the hell's going on.

It's only afterwards when Yifan punches a wall when Jongdae finally asks what they said, his voice shaky.

They said to stop cheering for us, Luhan says, a stony expression on his face, because we wouldn't understand them anyways.

This causes Minseok's heart to fall into his stomach.

It doesn't end there. At every interview they go on, the MC always points out that he and Jongdae are the Korean members, then ask them to demonstrate their Mandarin. Minseok isn't sure if they're trying to mock him or if they're legitimately impressed with his skills so far.

Yifan answers most of the questions, explaining the meaning of 'EXO' for the millionth time, allowing Minseok time to survey the audience.

Most of them are holding up signs for Luhan, with the character for 'deer' written on them, or for Yifan, with towels that say 'Kill me Kris,' and the like. There are some with unicorns for Yixing, pandas for Zitao, and the odd sign for Jongdae.

But in the crowd, like beacons, he sees two girls holding up signs with flashing, light-up snowflakes.

His symbol.

And that's when Minseok knows, that even if the fans outwardly show their support for the others more, he will always have his loyal fans.

The ones who hold up their flashing snowflakes, just for him to see, so that he knows that there are people out there who love and care for him just as much.

He performs for them the most.