-

Dear Xiumin

 

 

He was one of the trainees who actually possessed a talent to speak of, a talent that didn't have to be discovered by the company trainers, one that already stood on its own. His pride was that he entered the company by winning second place at a competition, not just through audition. He didn't mean to sound so superior, but in the sea of hopeful trainees, it was nice to have some extra confidence.

 

He believed in his abilities, be it vocals or dance. He excelled at both, much to approval of his trainers and the envy of the other trainees. He trained relentlessly hard, and had a steel belief that one day, he will be standing on stage alongside Super Junior and Girls' Generation. It was a dream many shared, yet few can achieve, but it was comfort all the same during the difficult times.

 

When he was announced to be included in the M1 project, he was elated. He was practically on cloud nine. He remembered the day quite clearly, he had wept shamelessly as he ran home to tell his parents. His mother had fell to her knees, sobbing. His father, a silent man, merely patted him on the back for a job well done. Words were not necessary, he knew they were proud of their son.

 

His happy bubble soon deflated out of shape, as he waited with an anxious heart. Was he in the K or M unit? He personally wished to be in the K unit, for he was after all, a Korean. He was not all fluent in Mandarin, a language he was unable to grasp even after a full year of lessons. Besides, in Korea, the K unit will be well taken of, with a steady and predictable future. Who knows what lies in store for the M unit?

 

The decision was that he was more suited to be in EXO-M, and he accepted it with a sense of defeat. To defy the company was an impossible feat, he knew just how many trainees that would quite literally kill for his spot. He focused on being grateful, and he was. He was just uncertain of the future, and afraid. But as he learnt more of his soon-to-be brothers, he felt assured that he won't be alone in this.

 

The days that came next was hard. He often felt that any second now, he would collapse and die. His parents would lose a child, but someone will take his spot in EXO, because that was just how important he was. His bitter thoughts often haunted him, as he pushed himself further. He had his eye on the prize, and now that he was so close, he would be damned before he let it slip out of his fingers.

 

Neither the announcement of M1 nor the units division felt real. Only when he was in a real studio, with all the proper equipments, did he thought that he was really debuting. It wasn't some cruel practical joke, it was true. But the real joke came when their lines were distributed. EXO-M had six songs in their first mini album, he only had six lines in three of them. He didn't know whether to laugh, or cry.

 

He cried. He waited until it was midnight, too late for the other members to be still awake, and went inside the closet of their dorm. He wept, sobbed. He pressed his fist over his mouth, silencing his sobs. He thought of his mother and his father, how they supported him and how they were so proud of him. He wanted to go home proudly, with his held up high, but now he was just going to be a disappointment.

 

March 31, 2012. In the past twenty-two years, He had never felt more alive, and this was true, when he stepped on the stage. The cheers were loud, so loud. He felt electricity shot up his entire body, a new energy surging. Adrenaline rushing past him, he waved excitedly at his fans. Fans. He pondered over the usage of the word 'fans', but if they were here, they were here for EXO. And he was now forever etched in the history, as one of EXO.

 

His heart was calmer now, as he learnt to grew as both as an artist and as a person. Even when he was unable to participate in variety shows and interviews due to the language barrier, he had his brothers to support him. Even when he only saw a banner or two sporting his name during performances, he greeted all fans with a sincere smile and an even more sincere heart. Because no matter the amount, they were all his supporters and witness to his dream.