Scouted

Star-Studded Lies and Behind-The-Scene Cries

    "MANGHAETDA!" cried the mystery man as he slumped to the ground with his hands on his eyes. "Jinjja manghaetda! What the hell is wrong with you?! I just wanted to ask you something, miss!"

  I froze. Maybe thinking about Jesse had made me a little too paranoid and cautious. It took a moment before I stepped towards the man, now kneeling on the floor with his hands on his eyes, and apologised.

  "Mianhae, ahjussi... I didn't know. The streets of LA can get dangerous and I... I'm just staying on the safe side," I bent over and placed my hand on his shoulder. A while later, he was able to open his eyes again. He looked me straight in the face.

  "Omo... Omona! I thought my eyes were deceiving me but... It's real! You're real! And you really have her face!" he exclaimed.

  I stood up straight and rolled my eyes. I knew what he was talking about. I got it way too often. 

  Ever since the Hallyu wave hit LA, so many fans of SNSD have been coming up to me and asking for my autograph till I explained that I wasn't who they thought I was, much to their disbelief and disappointment.

  "I'm not Kim Taeyeon," I folded my arms and told him, annoyed.

  "I know, I know. But you look so much like her!" he said in awe. Noticing the annoyance written on my face, he attempted to change the subject. "What's your name, miss?"

  "Katy. Katy Kim Haeyoung," I replied.

  "Kim... Are you related to her?" he questioned.

  "I'm not! Jesus Christ, it's so annoying! Why can't I look not like a K-pop star! Why can't I just look like me and pursue a music dream just looking like me and being me and not being compared to someone I barely know?!" I vented my frustration.

  "M-Music dream? You aspire to be a music artiste?" the man's eyes widened.

  "Yeah," I replied.

  "Well, Miss Kim. I have a proposal for you. But first, let me properly introduce myself," the man cleared his throat and began.

  "My name is Lee Jin Ho. I am a scout with SM Entertainment. Bands like SHINee, SNSD and f(x) are synonymous with our company's name. If you're a proper fan of them, you'll know who we are. Anyway, I think you have potential to join us."

  "Let me guess," I interrupted, "You're going to give me your name card, and I'm going to have to go down to SM's office and audition and endure years of training so I can debut in a band with people I barely know?"

  Jin Ho laughed. "No," he answered, "Not at all. I have something different in mind for you. I didn't mention earlier that I am the cousin of SM's CEO, Lee Soo Man. I have a plan for you that I'm sure Soo Man will be very excited to hear about. But here's not the proper place for it. Let's go somewhere else. Know any good coffee shops around here?"

  I thought for a bit before I came up with something. "How about," I began, "You follow me home for dinner, and my parents, you and I can discuss this plan of yours?"

  Jin Ho seemed a bit reluctant before he replied, "Okay then. Lead the way."