Stalker or Scout?

Star-Studded Lies and Behind-The-Scene Cries

  I stepped out of the dance studio onto the boardwalk. Facing the boardwalk was the scenic sunset landscape of one of LA's many beaches. The sun was nothing more than a huge orange orb against the fiery backdrop of LA's midsummer evening sky. The light rays of the sun bounced off the pristine waters of the ocean. Admiring the sunset, I purchased a snow cone and sat down on a bench at the boardwalk, recalling the first time I signed up for classes at the dance studio. This was the exact, same beautiful sunset I saw upon stepping out of the studio on my very first day.

  Just as the sun descended below the horizon, the city came alive. Beach parties started, and the bass from music blasting through speakers a distance away could be heard. The street lights lighted up the darkness of the night and before me, couples sat along the beach, skinny-dipping, making out and such. I remembered the times Jesse and I used to be just like them. Almost innocent couples, not knowing what their future together might hold. But seeing them, also reminded me of my breakup with Jesse. 

  I broke up with Jesse under the same boardwalk I was standing on. I wanted the breakup. He was abusive and narcissistic and violent and terrible. But he didn't take it well. We fought, and I ended up getting slashed at the eyebrow. Of course, the coward that he is, Jesse ran from the scene after one slash, leaving me alone with a bleeding brow.

  Out of curiosity, I took out my pocket mirror just to see the scar on my brow. Somehow, I felt that the scar was a part of me that set me aside from everyone else. It gave me a story to tell. A lesson to learn.

  Just as I was about to put away my pocket mirror, I saw a guy in a trenchcoat staring at me from a distance. He had sunglasses on, but the fact that his eyes were on me were obvious. A few moments later, he started walking towards me.

  As calmly as possible, I stood up, disposed of the snow cone, and started walking home. I tried to look as normal as possible while trying to get away. I took as many turns as I could, but I still heard the man's shuffling footsteps behind me. 

  His pursuit continued for a good half an hour before I unconsciously turned to a dead end in one of the alleyways of LA. He stood at the opening of the alleyway. There was no way out.

  Silently, in the dim iridescence of the street lights, he began walking towards me.

  "Stop," I ordered him. My voice was shaky despite my efforts to be calm. "Stop right there!"

  He continued walking.

  "Go away," I sounded really panicky now. "Stop!"

  By now, he was nearly a foot away from me. Just as he was opening his mouth to speak, I whipped out my pepper spray and sprayed him in the eyes.