Rainbows After Rain

I Can Only Say I Want to Die

The next few weeks had not been different for Seungmi and her usual way of life. Myungsoo was had become one of the most popular boys at the school because of his good looks and polite mannerisms. He had joined the soccer team and became their new ace. 

It was a windy day today. The clouds were darker than their normal marshmallow color. The air smelt of old gym socks and sweat.

It had been one of those days when everyone tried to get home early as to not get drenched in rain. Seungmi was different. She would stay for as long as it took for everyone to leave and then go out to the sports field and let herself relax. The rain was a familiar feeling to her, she had done it so many times now.

Today, Seungmi was a bit anxious. The rain would start soon enough and she wasn't sure everyone had left. Passing up standing in the rain was not an option however. It was one of the moments she really do whatever she wanted. Nothing sounded more appealing than standing in the middle of a giant field in the angry rain to her. She could even scream if she wanted, no one would hear.

Seungmi looked out the window, the first of the glorious rainfall was starting. It was now or never. She picked up her things in a much more rushed pace than usual and brought them with her until she reached the doorway out to the field. In the time it had taken to walk there, the rain had already begun pounding down harder. She let her bag drop to the floor and her shoes slip off before giving the door a shove and rushing out. 

The rain was chilling to the bone. Just the way she liked it.

Seungmi started shivering almost immediately, not that she really noticed. Her main objective was to get to the middle of field as quickly as possible. Her legs moved on their own accord, she simply followed. 

When she did reach the field and the grass tickled her feet in surprise, she breathed in deeply. Everything about this experience was so refreshing. 

Seungmi let herself drift away in a random direction inwards as she spun around in oblong curves. Her arms were out stretched and her clothes were already sticking to her harshly. She kept her face tilted up toward the sky to wash away the filth. Just as Seungmi was about to lay down, she collided with something that did the job for her.

Both of the people landed on the ground with a soft grunt compared to the rain. Seungmi had been so shocked there was someone on the field other than her that she laid there motionlessly, causing the other party to worry once he recovered from the sudden change in position.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" He asked but his voice could barely be heard over the pounding of the water. Myungsoo made his way over to Seungmi and cautiously placed his hand on her shoulder. That was finally when she reacted. Seungmi jerked away from the contact and sat up. Myungsoo followed after her as she rushed away.

"Hey! Where are you going? Are you hurt? Why were you on the field? Who are you? Wait!" He yelled after her. Seungmi could only focus on getting away now, however. She was caught spinning around in the delight of the rain. It was ridiculous that there even was a boy on the field. What was he doing there?

Seungmi reached the door and quickly tried to put on her shoes and blazer. She didn't think ahead to put them on while continuing to move, so Myungsoo arrived as she was still struggling with her blazer. When he saw her in the dim lighting of the school, Myungsoo recognized her vaguely. He knew he had seen her before, but he didn't know her name.

"Um," He started awkwardly,"My house is near here." She looked up slowly; Seungmi was considering her options, she could try to bolt or she could just stand there and wait for Myungsoo's actions. She performed the latter so Myungsoo eventually came closer and grabbed her wrist gently before leading them away.

Seungmi didn't know why she allowed Myungsoo to pull her through the rain and into the warm and comfort of his house. Her clothes were still wet as she sat on Myungsoo's cream colored sofa. In front of her was a hastily prepared cup of tea. Myungsoo was somewhere doing something leaving Seungmi to think over what had just occurred. She didn't get much thinking time until Myungsoo returned in a new pair of clothes and another set in his hand.

"Here, you can wear this if you want to. I'm sorry I don't have any girl clothes, but this should be small enough," Myungsoo gestured the clothing towards her without any reaction. He sighed and set the clothes down on the table next to the tea.

"I'm Myungsoo, by the way. I think we're in the same class." He continued to talk to about all sorts of things to try to ease the mood until the rain left. Myungsoo explained why he was on the field, he was practicing soccer when the rain started and didn't want to stop. On top of that, he started talking about himself, his favorite food, drink, activity, hobbies, or just about anything to lighten Seungmi up.

"So, uh, what's your name?" He had asked the question about three times already. After this, though, he decided to open her bag and look for her name tag; Seungmi's eyes watched him as he did so. 

"Jo Seungmi," He read off melodically. Myungsoo looked at the name tag for a few more quick moments before looking up and smiling at Seungmi warmly,"Nice to meet you, Seungmi." She felt a now unfamiliar feeling inside; when she was with him, she always felt like that. Myungsoo had started something inside of her again. Life.

Myungsoo began rambling about himself again when Seungmi refused to talk. She didn't want to see how he would react to what she had to say. He talked until the rain had finally let up and even after because the two were so absorbed in each other. The way he used his hands, his voice, his facial expressions all fascinated Seungmi. She could watch him all day even if he talked about what his friends did in biology class two days ago. On the other hand, Myungsoo wanted a reaction; he didn't get huge one, but her eyes told him so much more than laughing or replies could.

By the time Myungsoo realized how long he had kept her, it was six in the evening and the sun was low in the sky. Seungmi had noticed long before Myungsoo had, but she wasn't about to speak up about it. He smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck while apologizing.

"I'll walk you home since it's getting dark now, where do you live?" Seungmi hesitated and simply stood up before grabbing her things and heading towards the door. Myungsoo followed her and locked the door on his way out even though he wasn't sure if she would let him walk her home or not.

"Wait! Seungmi, I can't let you go off alone." He chased after her easily since she had not moved very far and was walking slowly. She turned around and with a very, very small dip of her head she told him her answer. Myungsoo shined his teeth at her again and they started off.