Memories Are Not Easy To Forget

I Will Be Fine

Baek Hyun took a last look at Jason before the patient fall into sound sleep. He went back to the emergency room because there was another case of gunshot victim--the third that shift.

He hurried and took into action. Good thing, the bullet was not that deeply planted into the patient's leg, but he still needed surgery, nonetheless. Baek Hyun did all he can to save the victim from lossing much blood.

Miraculously though, Baek Hyun had rested for one and a half hour. He was writing down notes in his notebook when he suddenly remembered Hyun Jung and her coldness.

She treated him as a doctor, so was that the reason why she had gone cold?

"Is that her way of pushing me away?"

His heart was really hurting. After high school, Hyun Jung never called anyone of them, not even Hong Chan Doo, her guy best friend, nor Gil Pulip, her girl best friend. Until he finished medicine, he never had heard about her--except that she became a famous painter outside of Korea.

His tears started to fall so hard that he did not notice that they fell on his notebook and had smudged some of the ink.

"Uisa-seonsaengnim (Doctor)?" a nurse called out. 

He looked up, still with tears.

"Gwaenchanheuseyo?" she asked.

"Aniyo..." he sobbed, as he wiped his tears.

He seldom cried, but most of his tears were for his halmeoni. He never quite understood why he would be crying over Hyun Jung. He remembered some dreams in the past wherein he would cry in his sleep. The nurse gave him a box of tissue for him to use.

"Gamsa...gamsahamnida..." he said.

The nurse bowed and went on her way. He wiped his tears, got up, and out of the ER for some fresh air. He spent the rest of the night looking at the night sky.

And then, another emergency came. It was a drunkard who had swallowed a coin, and Baek Hyun went in again to fulfill his duties. While doing medical care, the patient coughed out the coin and began to breathe easily. Still, the companion of the drunkard wanted to be sure, so Baek Hyun decided to have the patient admitted.

After that, the ER was not busy anymore except for some nurses in the ward who would come and refer some patients. He was not that busy that he had time to think and cry again.

Haneunim had given him a free and stress-free night from duty, making the nurses wonder and breathe in contentment. It was the first time that Dr. Hwang was not busy.

Though the emergency room was not busy, his mind and heart were.

His thoughts were thinking about Hyun Jung, and his heart was missing her so much.

 

 

~~~~