Meeting Hoon

The Art of Loving

 

I swept my brush against the canvas one last time and sighed in satisfaction as I looked at the final result of my work. I love painting. It's the best way I can express myself with.

I stood up and walked to the bathroom to wash my hands and brushes.

"Sonsaengnim, I'm done," I said to my teacher after I went back to my class.

My teacher looked up and smiled at my sight. He followed me to the corner of the room, where my painting stood on the easel, still wet.

"Ahh, impressing as usual. May I ask you what this painting means?" he looked at me. We were given an assignment to make an abstract painting. Mine was a Psychedelic heart surrounded by strings of mostly red and pink, with some peach and yellow.

"It reflects a youth heart, that's why I chose Psychedelic, to emphasis on the mixed emotions and unstability of teenagers or should i say-pre adults. The strings around it are feelings. It's in random directions and shape because that's just what feelings are like. The red and pinks are easily noticed as romance while the yellow and peach ones are love for friends and family."  I explained with pride.

I always paint based on my emotion. Well, isn't it clear? I'm in love. There's this boy, he's my best friend. His name is Kiseop. He's just always there for me, and he even defended me everytime anyone badmouth me.

My middle-aged teacher whispered cheekly, "In love, are we?". He's an excellent artist, and my mentor since I started painting in highschool. He's the one who lead me to professional painting, and he knows me inside-out.

I felt my cheeks' temperature rise and pretended I didn't hear him. "See you." I bowed down to him and slung my bag to leave.

 

I strolled through the school's corridor and headed to the library. I went in and walked to the quite insolated corner to find Kiseop. Yeah, the one I'm in love with.

"Hey." I greeted him and he immediately look up and put the book he was reading, or should I say staring at back on the shelf. I peeked on the cover, "The Candymaker". Yep, that poor book just happened to be in front of this guy who can't even stand a minute reading comics.

Kiseop  had waited for me because we planned to go to a cafe or somewhere because it's the weekend. Unlike me, Kiseop was not studying Art, so he came to school with me and waited.

"Kaja! I'm dying of boredom." He put his arms around me, and we went out, me noticing the unhappy, envy, confused, and angry looks from many girls. Well, they just seem to despise the fact that Kiseop likes me, not them.

 

Oh, no, I didn't meant 'like' in that way. Kiseop did confessed to me, more like stated his feelings, but he himself said that he wasn't asking for an answer. Thank goodness, because right then, I would've rejected him.

It was some months ago, around a year and a half since we became friends. I sat beside him in my freshmen year, and on the forst day of school, to my surprise, when some queenka insulted my fashion sense, he defended me. Afterwards he and I introduced ourself and we felt good with each other's companion. We've been inseperable since.

So when did I started loving him?

I don't know when I really did start, but I realized my feelings after he said he loves me. I felt undescribably good and happy. I've sworn to myself since, that will he ask me out, in no doubt I will say yes.

 

We were at the school gate when he stopped suddenly, slapping his forehead. "Waeyo?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"I gotta meet a friend in some restaurant. I just remembered, wanna come with me?" I frowned and looked at him. Being a great friend he is, of course he immediately understood.

"Don't worry, this fried of mine is sort of unique. He's a bit of me, but just more, I don't know, extroverted? Active? Yeah, those kinds of thing."

"Um," I paused, still unconvinced. "Why don't you ask him first?" I offered a solution.

"Sure." He flipped out his phone and started pressing numbers. "Hey, Hoon. Yeah, yeah, I'm on my way. By the way, is it okay if I bring a friend?"

He paused, then,"A she. Why-no, no, you don't understand, it's her. You know, Sangrae?" Eh? His friend knew about me? I blushed for the second time today. "Really? Sure! See ya!" He ended the call and pushed it back to his pants pocket. "see? Told ya, he said yes."

I shrugged and followed him to a small but comfy Japanese restaurant. He precede me to a table where a.. fine guy was playing with his phone, looking bored.

Soon as he recognised Kiseop, he looked up. "Hey! You're here!" He let Kiseop sat and turned to me, "And you must be Sangrae, right?"

"Um, yes. Hoon, right?" I said in a low voice, still stunned. Wait, what am I doing? Kiseop is way more handsome than him. Yes. But this Hoon guy, there's something interesting about him, he gave off a charming aura.

We ordered food and talked. Turned out Hoon is a new transfer student in Kiseop's faculty, performing arts. But unlike my best friend who is one of the top dancer in our school, Hoon focused on music, particularly singing. Kiseop said that his voice is like that of an angel's but quickly got denied by Hoon.

Hoon changed the topic to all-time favorite hobbies and Kiseop quickly stated my expertise in art, but before I could protest, his face scrunched up and he groaned. Both me and Hoon turned towards him and asked what had happened.

Kiseop said he had a stomachache and insisted Hoon took me home before running away, throwing some bills on the table beforehand.

I just stared at the door, together with the also shocked Hoon. We finally looked away from the exit and at each other, then laughed, realising what Kiseop meant. "Um.." We both said at the same time.

"So, art? Why do you like art? Painting, Kiseop told me earlier today?" Hoon who is thankfully an easy going person open up a conversation.

I cleared my throat which suddenly felt dry before answering, "It just give me a way to channel my feelings and, say, freetime. Besides, it actually gives me some extra allowance. A pretty big one also." I'm not usually the one to answer a person I just met with such long sentences, but somehow the way Hoon behaves made me feel like I've known him all my life.

Hoon laughed and I smiled. He looked at his watch and said to me, "Wanna hang out for a bit? Me and Kiseop are supposed to go to an amusement park, but since he.. had some problems, why don't we go instead?" We laughed again, remembering the recent incident.

"Um.. I don't really go to amusement parks.." I reasoned. Well, not that I didn't like those places, I love them, but Kiseop is not a fan of those stuffs and I have no ther friend than him. My parents? I'm lucky to even see them twice a week, they're so busy with their work.

"Please? I bought the this already," He waved the tickets in front of my face.

I decided to accept his invitation. I haven't got any new inspiration for my painting anyway. Who knows? I might end up painting a rolleroaster, a cotton candy perhaps? I smiled at the thought of many treats that are easily found in amusement parks and waited impatiently for the bus we'll be boarding.

I looked to my right at Hoon, who happened to be staring at me. Unexpectedly, he didn't look away, instead just stared into my eyes. I stared back with a blank look. It's been my habit since, I don't know, primary? We looked at each other without blinking for quite some time until the bus arrived and we both snapped out of our daze.

My cheeks burn, for the first time in my life, because of a guy other than Kiseop. I walked into the bus and tried to act normally.

I was sitting beside Hoon. I sat in the side with the window. I decided to look outside since I don't know what to talk about. Yes, I was comfortable with him. But not if we were this close! Wait, what? I'm not nervous, why should I be?

I don't even has a crush on him. Right? Right. Hopefully.

I bit my lip and glanced to Hoon. Again, he was staring at me. Bored, I decided to talk.

"So, how come you're friends with Kiseop? I mean, Kiseop don't usually like hanging out with.. extroverted people," I asked.

"You see, this is my first day of school-"

We talked about general things, joked a bit and laughed. I learned a whole lot about him. He met Kiseop when they were trying to get away from girls chasing after them. Yes, they're that popular. Hoon is a really funny guy. I admit, even Kiseop never made me laugh this much in my life.

After countless times covering my mouth wwhile laughing, facepalming, and holding my now-sore stomach, we finally arrived to our destination.

We went in and in a glimpse, I knew I would have fun today. I looked at my phone. It's still around 2 PM.

"Which one do you want to go to first?" Kiseop asked me.

"Um, I dunno, what rides are available?"

"Merry-go-round, ferris wheel, watercycle, roller coaster, haunted house, here," He handed me a pamphlet. Hmm, roller coaster sounds fun. See? I'm none like any typical girls.

"Let's try the roller coaster!" I beamed. Hoon looked uneasy. "Wae? You afraid?" I mocked him and he quickly denied it. But it's obvious as he looked worse with every step closer. I thought of choosing another ride, but I really wanted to try roller coaster and I'm not riding this alone. Hey, he's the one who took me here in the first place, right?

"You can hold my hands." I mocked him while holding out my hands. I didn't expect him to really do it, and really tightly.

My heart beats fast.

The ride begin slowly, then began to accelerate, me screaming while laughing as hard as I could, to forget the thump-thumping in my heart. It was really fun, but when we looked at the photo, I laughed so hard at Hoon's pale expression. Hoon dragged me outside before I even got the chance to buy it.

We played some arcade games. Actually, Hoon played and made my arms full of stuffed dolls. We told the man on the counter to keep it first while we go on other rides.

"Now you choose," I said. "Okay, TO THE HAUNTED HOUSE!!!" He yelled hyperactively and pulled my hand towards the place.

My hands are sweating.

 

"Hoon it's not a good idea.." "Why? Scared?" He smirked cockily. No way. He rode the roller coaster, it's time for me to man up.

"Hoon, wait for-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I shrieked as a ghost tugged at my clothes. I kicked the ghost in reflex and catch up with Hoon.

I hugged him from behind and scream on top of my lungs when a ghost held my arm.. right beside Hoon's ear.

"OOOOOOWW!!!!!!!!!" Hoon yelled and slapped a hand over his ear. "Why didn't you tell me you're scared of ghosts?" He grumbled and hugged me from behind, pushing the ghosts that tried to touch and scare me away.

My heart beats fast, again.

 

We both took a deep breath as soon as we were out of the darned house. I even had tears in my eyes. I wiped it off quickly, hoping Hoon didn't noticed them.

We walked to the bus stop and he drop me off home.

"Thanks for today. And, sorry for screaming in your ear.." I mumbled guiltily. He waved it off and smiled. "Nah, I had a great time. Till next time?" He kissed my forehead and left.

I stood still, stunned.