Angel

Beneath Our Tree

 

“You’re here again.” I heard his soft voice from behind me. I jumped a little, my hand instantly clasping at my chest as I turned around. I swear he wasn’t sitting on that branch when I looked around a few minutes ago.

“Yeah, I guess I am.” I laughed awkwardly, withdrawing my hand from my chest. I hate how he always manages to sneak up on me, and that he always sneaks up on me when he already knows how much of a scaredy-cat I am. I don’t even know how he does that, like he just pops out of nowhere. “You scared me. Again.” I pretended to glare at him.

He laughed softly, “Well, that’s what I do.” He would always say that, though I never did understand what it was supposed to mean. “And besides, I like seeing you pout like that.” And that too. I swear to God I never pouted in front of him, but he always insists that I do.

“I was not doing that, stupid!” I bit on my lips and he just laughed more. I really hate this guy.

He jumped down, straightening his uniform as he smiled at me. That beautiful, almost angelic smile of his. It’s weird to say that about a guy, but it was just the truth. It was really beautiful.

It was like an angel’s…

I didn’t realize that I’d been staring for too long until he grinned and walked closer to me, poking my nose with his finger. Suddenly snapped out of my thoughts, I staggered backwards a little, staring widely at him. I could feel my cheeks heat up, and I know he can see it too as his grin just widened more.

“I know I’m handsome, but please don’t stare too much. The day is still long.” Damn. He is such a narcissist at times. Everytime, if I may correct.

“S- Stupid! I wasn’t--” I tried to protect my pride a little, but he just shrugged, walking back to the tree. He sat down on the grass this time, beckoning me to sit beside him.

I sighed, taking off my bag that was hanging on my shoulder as well as my guitar and sat there beside him on the grass. Resting my back on the tree, I handed him the guitar, like always. He took it immediately, resting it on his outstretched lap.

“Sing.” He commanded as he strummed a familiar chord, his eyes on me, as always.

I’ve always wondered how he could play without even looking at the strings, but he plays the guitar so well that I figured it must be due to years of practice. He seems to love music a lot, though I found it weird the first time I offered him my guitar, he seemed so scared to touch it. I could still remember how his face was twisted into such a sorrowful expression as he stared at the instrument I held in front of him, how his hand trembled as he slowly moved to touch it, and how he almost cried out of joy the moment his finger touched the smooth wood.

It was like watching a drama where two lovers finally reunited right in front of my eyes.

He never told me anything about it, and I decided to leave it at that.

Like I always do, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Resting my head on the trunk behind me, I let the melody wash over me and sang the words that would complete his music.

I’ve always anticipated these afternoons that I spend with him beneath this tree. Just the two of us, lost in our own music. It had become my favorite time of the day.

I don’t exactly remember when I first came here. I think it was a few weeks ago? I just wanted to see it up close, this tree.

I wanted to know what it was like to sit beneath it. Wanted to know what was so special with it. It looked just like any other tree to me, but I know for sure that there must be something special with it. If not, then why would he be sitting here everyday for the past four years?

Sure, the view of the meadow, the forest, the wildflowers, the tall mountain, and the sky was breathtakingly beautiful, but it wasn’t like he was admiring the scenery the whole time he was here. I don’t think it was the reason.

Besides, he always looked like he was waiting for someone.

Sometimes, he had a book in his hands, sometimes a guitar. Sometimes he would just sit there watching people pass by. He was really a strange guy.

What I do remember, was when he began to just stare, I’m not sure if it was just me or just everyone who walked by. He stared so intently, as if trying to embed every detail into his mind. He started to do that a little over three years ago.

As I sang the last few words, I glanced at him, knowing perfectly well that this time it would be him closing his eyes as he strummed the last notes on the guitar. A small smile made its way to his lips, and he hummed in content as the last string finally stilled.

This, definitely, is far more breathtaking than any other scenery I’ve ever seen before. I could just sit here admiring him for the rest of my life.

I looked away abruptly when I caught myself thinking that. See what you’ve done, stupid. Stop blushing before he catches you…

“You play now.” I heard him say as he put the guitar on my lap. I looked at the instrument. My hands aren’t really meant for the guitar, that’s why this thing has just stayed at a corner in my room eversince it was given to me by my aunt on my birthday a year ago. And it would probably just stay there if I hadn’t thought of bringing it here.

“Why can’t you just play it? You know I’m not good at it.” I whined. “I could just sing for you.” I said that but I took it anyway, knowing that he would just insist on teaching me.

I started strumming randomly, not really thinking of playing anything as my short and stiff fingers can only reach a few chords.

“Hey, Jonghun.” He hummed in response, his eyes locked at my hands. “Where do you live in town?”

“My home is a few streets away from the high school.” he answered casually.

“How come I don’t see you in school, when you’re wearing the same uniform as mine?” I heard him hum again.

“I went there. But, there are just things… that you can’t have when fate decides against you, I guess.”

I sneaked a glance at him. I already lost count of the number of times I had seen that same sorrowful smile on his handsome face. I really am stupid. I keep forgetting the most important details.

I wonder what he meant. Did he have to transfer to another school? Maybe. What else could be the reason.

Strumming another chord, I waited for him to say more, but he just continued staring at me. On other days, I wouldn’t ask anything more and we would just sit beside each other in comfortable silence.

But today, I felt like I wanted to know more about him.

“Why do you always come here then, when it’s on the opposite direction from your home?” I didn’t look up, for I can feel those brown orbs still fixed on my face. He stayed silent. And just when I thought he was gonna answer, he sighed instead, shifting on his seat.

“You’re not doing it right again. Come here.” I felt my heart jump at those words, and the next thing I knew was that my back wasn’t against the tree anymore, but it was against his chest as he kneeled behind me, his hands over mine as he tried to position them correctly on the strings. “I’ve already taught you these chords many times but you still don’t get them.” His breath tickled my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

His hands were cold over mine despite the afternoon being warm; I was leaning against him, his chin on the side of my face. His breath on my skin. His soft voice ringing in my ear. His scent filling my lungs as I struggled to keep my breathing stable. How does he expect me to remember everything he says when I can barely focus on my breathing?

He moved my fingers along the guitar’s neck, trying to make me remember on which string and fret to place them. I nodded absentmindedly, not really getting what he was saying. He seemed to have noticed after a while, as he stopped moving his hands and stared at my face instead.

“Hongki, you weren’t really listening.”

I kept my gaze on his hands that were still over mine. Who knows what’ll happen if I turn to meet his gaze. Okay, brain, you’re not funny at all.

Clearing my throat softly to get rid of the lump that formed there, I then muttered, “I told you I’m not good at this. I don’t remember most of the chords.”

He sighed, shifting again behind me. I felt my back press more against his chest before I saw two legs stretch on either side of mine. My heart beat more wildly, if that was still possible, and my eyes widened.

Why are we in this position?!

“Jo- Jonghun… you do know that this is really awkward, right?” I asked him uncertainly, my voice coming out shaky despite my effort to control it. He rested his chin on my shoulder as he hummed in thought.

“Is it? I don’t think so.” He started moving my now stiffer fingers again. “And besides, I’m teaching you.”

Yeah right, you’re teaching me how to die. Okay, brain, please shut up now.

I gulped slowly, feeling the butterflies in my stomach fly up and form a lump in my throat again.

The closest I have ever gotten to him was him kneeling behind me whenever he insisted on guiding my hands, like earlier. We’ve never been this close before.

This...

Is too close.

For my own good.

If I could hear my own heart thumping, then he must hear it too, right? Can he feel it against his chest? Can he feel my skin burning beneath his own?

And this position…

I think I’m about to lose my mind.

“I was waiting for someone.” His quiet voice snapped me out of my crazy thoughts. What did he just say?

“W- what?” I didn’t realize he had stopped moving his hands again. Taking a slow deep breath, I tried to calm the chaos going on inside of me.

“I was waiting for someone. That was why I always went here.”

“Oh…” I wonder who he was waiting for. A girl he liked maybe? I felt my chest thud particularly hard for a second at my own crazy thought. “For four years? Why would you wait for that long?”

“Has it been that long already? I haven’t really felt time move, I think I lost track of it now…” There he goes again, saying strange things. “But it was worth it.” he mumbled, gently prying my fingers off the guitar.

“It was worth it? Did that person come?” I asked with my own quiet voice. Even my heart eventually slowed down, though it still kept drumming loudly against my rib cages.

He still held my hands in his own, playing with them. His fingers felt soft on my skin despite them obviously being calloused. His touch felt so light, like a gentle wind’s caress. Or it’s probably just my mind messing with me.

He seemed to be contemplating hard on an answer, and after a few seconds, which was probably equivalent to hours of my sanity being driven to the edge, I felt him smile as he gave a rather short answer.

 “Yes.”

I didn’t know why I snapped. Well, I do actually. I’ve long had the idea that I might be, just might be, falling for this strange guy holding me right now.

And realizing that this little piece of happiness I had found for myself might be taken away from me by that person he had patiently waited for four years for hit a sensitive nerve in my chest and it exploded instantly.

I acted on my stupid impulse. I heard him gasp as I sharply yanked my hands away and pushed myself up, knocking him slightly backwards. The poor guitar fell on the ground with a loud crashing sound, but right now I couldn’t care more even if it broke.

I heard him call my name as he stood up, but I was already walking away, my hands clenched at my sides. Though before I could even get far, he already had his hand around one of mine, pulling me gently.

“Hongki” he called once more, his voice sounding a little desperate, or maybe it was just my mind again.

But then, him calling me like that, and the gentle hand that held mine, was enough to soothe a little of the storm I was feeling at the moment. I hate him even more for having this effect on me.

I can feel the tears starting to blur my vision as I turned around to face him. And from the way his face twisted into worry as he looked at me, I know just how pathetic I am right now.

Why must I feel like this? I’m not even a girl…

“Hey, what’s wrong?” He cupped my face with both his hands, his voice gentler and softer than I ever thought was possible. I pulled them away, and he let me, but held on to my hands instead. His grip was tight, but they still felt feathery.

I swallowed hard before I answered, not wanting my voice to break. That would make me even more pathetic.

“Why are you like this to me?” I looked down, fixing my gaze on our hands. “You already have a girlfriend, don’t you? Then why must you act like this to me?” I sobbed more. A tear fell, landing on his hand. “Why didn’t you just tell me off?”

As soon as those last words escaped my lips, I shut my eyes, instantly regretting them. What if he says okay? What if he lets go of my hand and say goodbye?

Why am I such a fool?

Why must he take so much time to say anything? I held my breath, my eyes still shut tightly.

I felt my heart fell at the same time that I felt his grip on my hands loosen, and just like a puppet’s arms whose strings were cut, they fell limply on my sides. I was dizzy. I felt my legs tremble and I waited painfully for them to just give up and collapse on the ground.

Why am I… such a fool?

There was a poke on my forehead. Another one. And another one. Then I heard a soft chuckle in front of me.

“You really are stupid, Hongki.”

I felt hands on my face again, lifting it up. What was happening?

Confused, I opened my eyes, only to be met by a grinning Jonghun. He my cheeks with his fingers, wiping the tears away. Now I was even more confused.

“What..?” I asked. His thick brows met as he stopped his task and seemed to study my face. Then he grinned more, but this time I found it annoying rather than beautiful. “Yah!” I pushed him away, glaring at him. But the irritating grin didn’t disappear from his face. What is wrong with him? Could I actually have fallen in love with a psycho?

He started chuckling again. “I don’t have a girlfriend. And no girl is ever gonna come if that’s what you were thinking. Where did you even get that idea?”

I glared more, “Didn’t you just say the girl you were waiting for already came!?” I exclaimed, though I was still sobbing. I was really pissed off, but the more I glared the more he grinned like an idiot at me. Stupid Choi Jonghun.

“Listen, okay! There’s no one like that.” He stepped closer, his hands on my face again. “See, you cried for nothing. Stop now.” His usually soft smile and gaze were back on his face as he my cheeks, and at such close distance I felt myself stunned more than ever.

“I wasn’t crying...” I mumbled, tearing my eyes away.

“Were you jealous?” he asked, chuckling again. This guy. He even has the nerve to tease me after what he made me feel just moments ago?

I subconsciously pouted as he pulled my hand and lead me back under the tree. “That’s cute.” I heard him mumble.

“Do you have an eye behind your head?” he just laughed.

I sat down beside him again, hugging my knees and burying my face into them as he inspected the guitar.

“Good thing it just got scratched a little. You should be more careful of your belongings, Hongki.” He started strumming it again, another familiar melody.

“Hey, Jonghun.” I called him after a while.

“Yeah?” One thing I like about him, is that even when he’s so engrossed when he’s playing the guitar, he would always hear my voice and respond when I call his name.

“I think… I might like you.” Those words came out as a whisper.

I felt lighter right after I’ve finally said it, but I was nervous at the same time as he stopped playing right away. Reluctantly, I turned my head to the side to get a little peak at him, and when I did, I buried it back into my knees just as reluctantly.

“Hongki?” I heard him call softly.

“Hmn.” I could only hum in response as I kept my face deeply hidden.

“Thank you.”

“Hmn…”

I moved closer to him as he began strumming and humming an unfamiliar song.

Jonghun…

Why are you wearing that sad smile again, when I had just confessed my love for you?

It makes me feel uneasy.

I want to know, but I will wait.

Until you’re ready to tell me everything.

 


hello there :3

i was trying to decide whether to make the story rated, but i'm still not sure if there would be that here. but don't worry, if ever there would be it wouldn't be too rated, so i was thinking maybe there's no need to mark it?

also, i was trying to make a poster, but i'm no good, so yeah haha...

so, how was that first chapter? do you have an idea what Jonghun is? :3 share it~ teehee