But to see her was to love her

Ae Fond Kiss [On Hold]

The first time I saw her was during my third year in high school. I can still remember everything clearly like if if all happened just yesterday.

I used to live in an outer district and always had to take the tram and the bus afterward to get to school. It was a rainy day and there were more people at the bus stop than usually, because they all wanted to hide from the rain there. So I stood a little farther away, the umbrella in my one and my school bag in the other hand. My eyes were wandering around, looking at nothing particular, when she crossed my way. She was coming down the street to the bus stop, her arms intertwined with her friends', talking and laughing with them. Among the group of those five girls she sure stood out the most. Not only because she was at least 10 centimeters taller than all the other girls, but also because her eyes which seemed to sparkle all the time. I just couldn't stop myself from looking at her so I was quite surprised when she suddenly looked up and smiled brightly at me when they passed me. And that was the moment I fell in love for the first time.

Her eyes looked into mine for a few more seconds as she was turning her head slightly into my direction, before she turned around to her friends and laughed about something one of them said. The girls stopped next to the bus stop and stood there in a circle. She was standing with her face at my direction. I stood there, amazed by...by her...and wished for her to look at me again, to let me see these amazing eyes again. But the longer I stood there the more I thought that she might feel uncomfortable if a completely stranger just kept staring at her, as I, if I was in her situation, would surely feel like that. So I turned a little away, but not too much so that I could still see her in the corners of my eyes, and watched the raindrops falling into a puddle.

I didn't know if it was just my imagination, but from time to time I felt like she was looking at me. I really wanted to turn to her to see her face, but because I was sure that my face would immediately turn crimson red if our eyes were to meet again, as my heart was already beating faster just by feeling her eyes on me, I just kept looking at my puddle, counting the raindrops that were falling in. I don't know if I just misheard it as it was raining really heavily and there were many cars driving down the street...but somehow it sounded like she was sighing. I looked up in surprise, but then I just saw her talking and laughing with her friends so I guessed it was just in my imagination. I turned back to my puddle and began counting again.

The time just went on like that and finally my bus came. I closed my umbrella and stepped out into the ran, joining the queue in front of the bus door. In front of me was the group of girls...but SHE wasn't with them. I was a little disappointed and regretted that I hadn't found the courage to talk to her. A little disgruntled because I was sure that I would never see her again, as it seemed that she only accompanied her friends to the bus stop, I let myself fall into a seat and took out my mp3-player. After I put my headphones on, I turned up the volume and closed my eyes, still angry at myself.

When I suddenly felt a light tap on my shoulder I literally jumped up from my seat. Pulling down my headphones and staring at the person who dared to startle me like that.

That girl gave me an apologetic smile and scratched the back of her head.

“Mianhaeyo. I didn't mean to startle you...but I wanted to ask if the seat next to you is free, since there aren't any other...”, she shyly asked and tilted her head a little to the side.

I blinked a few times and pinched my arm to check if I wasn't just dreaming. It hurt a little...so...it meant that she didn't leave? She just got onto the bus after me and that was the reason why I didn't see her? I wanted to jump around out of joy, but instead, I just nodded and made way for her to sit down at the window seat. After she sat down, the girl put her bag on her lap and opened it. I didn't mean to look into her bag, but somehow my eyes kept looking there, waiting for something with which I could start a conversation...but nothing. I already wanted to turn away so that she wouldn't notice that I was kinda 'spying' on her, when she took out a little notebook. Her name was written neatly on the front side...Choi Sooyoung. I repeated the name several times in my mind and started smiling like an idiot because I just found out her name that sounded like music in my ears.

A soft laughter that sounded like chimes playing brought me back to reality. I looked at her, Choi Sooyoung, and immediately fell in love with her again. My heart..it felt like it was about to explode every second if I kept looking at her cute face. And still, I couldn't move my head for even just a few millimeters. I had to look at her, imprinting that beautiful face into my heart and my mind.

Even when she was just looking around, her eyes were sparkling, but now, as she was laughing, her eyes seemed to turn into twinkling stars. Her full lips were now covered with one hand. Her dimples, usually hidden by her puffy but really cute cheeks, were now coming to light, making her look even more adorable.

I must have been staring at her again for a very long time without even noticing it, because suddenly Sooyoung stopped laughing and blushed a little. She looked down to her hands, tapping the fingertips of her index fingers against each other. Doing this, she looked even cuter and younger and made me fall for her for the third time.

“Uhm...sorry...I didn't want to stare at you like that...it's just that I thought you looked really cute when laughing.”

When I realized what I had said it was already too late. My face as well as her's turned crimson red and we both looked down, not daring to look at each other. I already cursed myself in my mind for making her feel so uncomfortable when suddenly a soft laughter escaped from her lips again.

“You...really think that I'm cute?”

She looked up a little shyly and smiled at me, her cheeks still a little pink. I know my voice would crackle if I talked to her in my current situation so I just nodded.

“Mmmh...Kamsa hamnida. You're the first to compliment me besides my friends...”

I looked up in surprise, not believing what I just heard.

“But you're so pretty. I think there must be lots of guys who like you!”

Sooyoung laughed again, the pink of her cheeks darkened a little.

“Well...I won't deny that there are a lot of guys who like me...but somehow none of them ever complimented me. They just slobber over me behind my back like some teenage boys. But when you're standing in front of them they can't even say a tone.”

She sighed and shook her head, making her fluffy wavy hair swing around in the air.

“Yeah...that's really immature....”

She gave me her killer smile and nodded.

“That's why I want to have an older boyfriend. They are much more mature...and a lot cooler than these stupid 15 year old teenies in my class.”

Wait...did this mean...

“You're only 15 years old?”, I asked, quite surprised because..well...I thought she was older because she was already this tall. I mean...her face matched well with her age...but her height?

Sooyoung nodded and smiled at me.

“Is it that surprising? Ah wait...you don't have to say it....You though I was older because of my height, right?”

I scratched the back of my head and nodded. It seemed like my mind was really easy to read.

“Ah no! It's because everyone keeps telling me. Don't worry. I don't think that your mind is that easy to read....uhm...well...May I ask how old you are...ahm...I haven't even introduced myself or asked for your name, right?” Again she laughed softly. “Well...Annyeong haseyo. Choi Sooyoung imnida.” Sooyoung bowed down a little and smiled at me.

“Yeah...I'm Cho Kyuhyun...17 years old. It's nice to meet you too.”, I answered back.

“Really? Then...can I call you Kyuhyun-oppa?”, she asked with a bright smile on her lips.

“Sure...”

“Yay!”

After that she kept talking with me, telling me things about her school, her friends and the guys in her class and I relaxed a little. The time just went on like flying and we arrived at my station. We both stood up at the same time and looked at each other.

“You're also a student at Soo Man High?”, I asked her.

“Ne.” She nodded and smiled at me. “I just transferred here a month ago...I guess if I wasn't wearing this coat then you sure had recognized the uniform.”

“Well, I guess so.”

We both got out of the bus and I opened my umbrella, holding it above her head.

“Thank you oKyuhyun-ppa...but my friends have umbrellas too. And...they might find it strange if I suddenly walk around with a 'stranger'. I mean...I would consider you as a friend now...but we just got to know each other today and...”

I turned around and looked at the 4 girls who were getting off the bus.

“They only have two umbrellas while you are 5 people. There's definitely one going to get drained by the rain if you try to use 2 umbrellas for 5 people. I watched you guys coming down to the bus stop.” I pointed at two of her friends. “And the result is that her and her shoulders are wet.”

“Uh well..but...”

“No but. Come on. It's not like we're going to be a couple just because we share an umbrella, okay?” I tried to give her my best smile, so she finally nodded and kept standing under my umbrella.

“Uhm...I'll share an umbrella with Kyuhyun-oppa.”, she said to her friends while looking down to her hands. Her fingertips were tapping against each other again, so I guessed it was one of her habits when she was feeling nervous.

“..Sure...We...will go in first, okay?”, one of them said and the four girls left.

We both watched them before I looked down to her. Sooyoung's cheeks were a little pinkish again.

“Did I...make you feel uncomfortable again?”, I asked her, suddenly feeling bad a bout it.

But then she looked up to me and smiled shyly.

“Ah no...It's ok. After all you're right. It's stupid to try using only two umbrellas for us all. When walking to the bus stop I already noticed how Sica's and Fany's shoulder got wet. I wanted to switch place with one of them but they didn't let me...”

“Hm...you're a nice girl. From what I already heard you seem to care a lot for your friends.”

She laughed a little nervously and looked down.

“Oppa, we should hurry a little....school is going to start soon...and I don't want you to be late...”

I looked down at my wristwatch and gasped. She was right.

“Ok, come on. I think we have to hurry up a little.”

So we two hurried into the school where I closed my umbrella. While I walked her to her classroom, we both kept silent. When we stopped on front of the door she looked up at me and smiled.

“Well...I guess we will see each other soon, right? Maybe at lunch break?”, she asked.

“Sure.” I smiled back. I didn't know why, but my hand just moved by itself and patted her head. “I'll wait for you.”

With these words, a wink and a smile, I turned around and walked over to my classroom.

 


Well...this was the first chapter...a little shorter than I thought but right now I'm really tired...mianhaeyo...

Please just comment how you liked it since I can't stand silent readers!

Kamsa hamnida for reading my story! :3