Why

Crazy Young Love

 

Jongup was packing his books into his bag after the end of classes when he suddenly gets a call from his aunt, asking him if he could pick up Junhong, his 5-year-old cousin, from kindergarten. It's a Friday, and Jongup wants nothing more than to just go home and rest, but he knew his aunt wouldn't have asked if she could help it.

 

He waves goodbye to Youngjae while speaking to his aunt, trying his best not to sound depressed about the whole arrangement. It has been a long time since he saw his cute little cousin, but did he really have to?

 

Jongup's expression was blank as he listens to his aunt apologize over and over again and he reassures her that it's okay, sighing as he finished the call. He sent a message to his mum telling her not to worry if she didn't see him at home when she came back from work after that, scratching his cheek absently as he locked his phone. He pouted, thinking about what he could possibly do for the next three hours, for Junhong's kindergarten ended at four o'clock.

 

Curse those daycare centers.

 

His phone vibrated at the next moment, alerting him of an incoming call.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Jongup! Thank god you picked up. I was wondering if you could come down to the dance studio for a while? The new choreography Mr. Jung taught us isn't working very well for me, and I kinda need help," Kai's voice rang through, and Jongup smiled. Looks like he has something to do after all.

 

"Sure thing, I will be there in a second."

 

"Be where?"

 

Jongup jumped as he felt someone's breath on his neck. He turned to see Jung Daehyun grinning at him, hands in pockets and his leather bag slung over one shoulder casually. He frowned as Kai's confused voice spoke again through the phone.

 

"What? Who was that?"

 

"Oh nothing, just some fly," Jongup replied, motioning for Daehyun to hurry up and go away. He swears he's never usually like this to people, but it becomes instinct whenever he sees Daehyun. He was constantly paranoid around the male, afraid that Daehyun would do something like slip a stink bomb into his bag when he isn't looking.

 

"Just some fly?" Daehyun said with mock incredulity, smirking at Jongup. Jongup rolled his eyes and got up from his seat, walking out of the classroom with Daehyun right on his tail.

 

Daehyun pursed his lips, walking right behind Jongup who was still pointedly ignoring him, speaking into the phone.

 

"Can you believe it? My mum actually allowed me to go for the rock concert next week, even though it happens on a school night," Kai continued to say, excited. He had been talking about that concert for weeks, and Jongup guessed he had finally managed to persuade his parents to let him go.

 

"Oh really? Good for you," Jongup said. "My class has this really frustrating assignment that takes up 30% of our grade, and I am working through a week on this one with the most annoying person on Earth."

 

Daehyun's ears perked up as he heard mention of him, and Jongup looked back at him, brows furrowing as he did so.

 

Why are you following me? Jongup mouthed as Kai continued to speak.

 

"That childhood friend of yours? Woah, it's like every time we talk he seems to weasel into our conversations. Was the pairing by choice or did the teacher pick?"

 

"By random. He had us picking lots," Jongup said, as Daehyun mouthed back, because I can.

 

Jongup's mouth was set in a thin line as he turned to the front again, trying to focus on what Kai was saying.

 

"Picking lots? Who even does that anymore?" Kai scoffed. "But it's like fate don't you think? What are the odds of him getting stuck with you every single time something like this happens?"

 

Daehyun smiled, hearing snippets of the conversation. He leaned in to hear Jongup's response, who kept silent for a while at Kai's observation. He spoke, his voice traced with annoyance. "What? You are just like Youngjae. What's with you guys? You know I hate him, and that I like Himchan. Seriously Kai?"

 

Daehyun ran in front of Jongup, blocking his way. He looked mischievously at Jongup, and blocked him whenever he tried to side-step and pass him.

 

What? Jongup mouthed, irritated.

 

"O-kay Jongup, I am just stating an observation here. Aww are you angry at me now? You are still coming right?" Kai said, and Jongup could imagine his friend pouting on the other end.

 

"Yeah, I am reaching soon. Hang on a while more, I have something to deal with now," Jongup said, and hung up.

 

"You lied to him," Daehyun teased. "You don't hate me. On the contrary, I think you love me very very much."

 

"Go away Daehyun," Jongup said, annoyed. The distance to the dance studio seemed tediously long today. Jongup side-stepped Daehyun and tried to walk away once more, but accidentally bumped into someone in the process.

 

"Oh- sorry," Jongup said, bowing to the person.

 

"Watch where you're going," The person snarled. Jongup blinked, looking up, and saw that it was a senior. He gulped when he saw the nametag, his pupils dilating. 'Choi Minho'. That was one senior you didn't want to mess with. He was part of those rebel crowds in school and whose family boasted wealth and fame, well, pretty much like every other student in school.

 

"This was a new jacket..." he murmured dangerously, more to himself then to Jongup, who was slowly inching away. Jongup squeaked as Minho stretched out his arm, blocking him and causing him to back into the wall in fear.

 

"What are you going to do about this?" he threatened, pointing to his jacket. Jongup honestly couldn't see any difference to before he bumped into him, perhaps it was slightly crinkled, but then again he wasn't sure because he hadn't been paying attention before that.

 

He started to sweat, his words getting caught in his throat as Minho regarded him with dark, threatening eyes. Before he could meekly request ironing the jacket for Minho, a smooth voice broke his frantic train of thoughts.

 

"Woah, hey Minho, take it easy. Kid meant you no harm." Jongup felt an arm drape over his shoulder and looked to see Daehyun smiling easily at Minho. Oh wow, silly him. He nearly forgot Daehyun was part of those cool cliques too. He couldn't help but feel a pang of annoyance as he was sure Daehyun would never let him see the end of this. Minho frowned.

 

"You know him?"

 

"Of course I do. I need someone's homework to copy from every other day," Daehyun said, pulling Jongup close to him, away from Minho.

 

"And besides..." Jongup felt Daehyun use his hand to gently tilt his chin upwards so that he was looking at him straight in the eyes, their faces barely centimeters from each other. "Who wouldn't want an adorable person like him to tease every day?"

 

Jongup blushed darkly, back-slapping's Daehyun's offending hand away from his face and wriggling out of his grip. Both Daehyun and Minho chuckled at his reaction, and Daehyun turned to Minho.

 

"Bad day? You seem unusually cranky."

 

"Yeah, I have five detentions up my already," Minho said, combing through his dark brown hair, frustrated.

 

"You going to skip them?" Daehyun smirked.

 

"You think?" Minho replied. "I am heading over the arcade downtown right now. Wanna come? My friend just told me someone beat me my high score on that basketball game the other day." he cracked his knuckles. "And nobody ever beats my high score. Ever."

 

"Don't mind if I do," Daehyun said, turning away from Jongup and walking with Minho through the hallways to the school gate. Daehyun didn't spare Jongup another glance, and Jongup watched as the two made their way through the halls, students moving aside for them to pass.

 

He didn't even look back.

 

Jongup disliked the feeling he got whenever Daehyun acted like this. He was such a big tease about everything Jongup does and stuck his nose into every single thing he did, sometimes fooling Jongup into thinking for a second that they were actually friends.

But then he would walk away, like how he did now.

 

Walking away and pretending Jongup didn't exist. Jongup kept getting hit with the pang of realization again and again that they were in fact two completely different people, and there was no way they could actually click like friends did.

 

Jongup should be used to this feeling now; the constant reminder that Daehyun is and will always be on a level higher than him, with higher status.

 

While he was just...him.

 

Jongup started to walk towards the dance studio, checking his watch. He didn't want to keep Kai waiting any longer.

 

-----

 

"Jongup, I asked for help with the choreography, not for you to try and kill yourself," Kai chuckled, as they walked out of the school after the practice.

 

Jongup sighed, dragging his feet against the gravel pavement. He could barely feel his legs after dancing, forcing and pushing himself to practice more even after Kai took a break. He dabbed at the sweat still dripping from his chin with his towel, and groaned as he felt the sweat already seeping into the new shirt he changed into.

 

Kai looked at Jongup, frowning.

 

"Jongup? Is everything alright?"

 

Jongup tilted his head a bit as he considered Kai's question. He blinked, replying, "Well of course I am, is there any reason why I wouldn't be?"

 

"No no, you just seemed really deep in thought throughout practice." Kai smiled. "But I guess everything's okay huh."

 

Jongup grinned back, but scratched his head. Had he been acting weirdly? He couldn't tell himself. To be honest, his mind was a complete blank during their practice, as he waited for the time to pass.

 

They turned the corner and Junhong's kindergarten came into view, a small pink building with a large sign decorated with smiley faces and rainbows at the front. Jongup was worried for he arrived a little later than he should, having been a little too absorbed in dance practice. It was already four forty-five as they neared the place.

 

"I think I am going to ask Kyungsoo out," Kai suddenly said, though he kept his gaze to the front. Jongup broke into a broad grin. Kai had been constantly expressing his affection for the cute doe-eyed boy in the class next to his. Kyungsoo was a meek, quiet boy but had a voice like an angel and boyish good looks to match. Jongup and Taemin were the ears for whenever Kai had something new to report on his crush.

 

"Really? That's great Kai, do you think he's going to accept?" Jongup asked.

 

Kai blushed, and he rubbed the back of his neck, abashed. "Well, I actually found a note in my locker the other day and it was kind of a confession from him. The shock I got was so huge I walked into the wrong classroom, ha," Kai recounted. "You know the rock concert I was talking about? I was thinking of asking him out to it when I give him my reply."

 

Jongup smiled as he looked at his friend recount the incident. It was so sweet and everything, and Kai used to be so self-conscious about himself, thinking about how he wasn't good enough for Kyungsoo and all that. Kai looked at Jongup and started to laugh awkwardly.

 

"What are you looking at me that way? Is it weird that I am being like this?" he pursed his lips thoughtfully. "I just wish I can be a good boyfriend for him...but I don't think I will do a good job though." There he goes again, Jongup thought.

 

"Kai, you are an amazing person, how can you not be good enough? You have a great personality and you are a great dancer. Kyungsoo wouldn't have liked you if you weren't all that. I am just really happy for you Kai, I really am," Jongup said, smiling warmly.

 

Kai smiled gratefully, but had a sudden thought.

 

"Oh, speaking of boyfriends, how is Himchan? Is he treating you alright?"

 

Jongup blushed and looked at his feet, remembering their small date at the park.

 

"He is really nice I guess," Jongup said, his ears turning pink. "A real gentleman and all."

 

Kai scoffed at his answer, and pretended to shudder. "Okay, no need to tell me. Do you honestly like him that much? I mean, he is handsome and all, but I think that-" he stopped short when they arrived at the gate of Junhong's kindergarten, and there was a flash of blonde hair as the small boy tackled his hyung in the crotch.

 

"Jonguppie hyung!" he squealed, and Jongup gasped, his eyes watering from the impact. He looked down to see his little cousin looking at him with wide, sparkling eyes and he instantly melts. He was as adorable as ever, his puny body small in comparison to that over-sized school bag hanging off his back. He looked just like a cartoon character.

 

"Hello Junhong," Jongup says, trying to ignore the pain in his groin as he squats to be at eye-level with his cousin. "How have you been? Sorry for coming so late, but Auntie is busy today, so I am going to take you back home instead, okay?"

 

Junhong nods his head eagerly and smiles widely, his deep dimples showing. He seems to notice Kai for the first time and his eyes widen as he scrambles to try and hide behind Jongup.

 

"Is he hyung's friend?" Junhong says shyly, looking at Kai. Jongup nods and nudges him forward to meet his new hyung.

 

"Yes, this is a good friend of mine; Kai, you can call him 'Kai Ahjussi' from today onwards," Jongup chuckles, and Kai raises his eyebrows, offended. But he immediately laughs as Junhong reaches out to try and shake hands with him, his tiny hands enveloped by Kai's rather large ones.

 

"He is adorable," Kai gushes, "but blonde hair? On a child this young?"

 

"His mother is an actress, she has strange ideas sometimes," Jongup says, recalling his hyperactive and youthful aunt. She was a fun and bubbly person, much like Junhong himself.

 

"What's his name again?"

 

"Junhong."

 

"No it isn't," Junhong said, pouting. "My name is Zelo."

 

Kai chuckled. "Zelo? Why?"

 

"Our teacher told us stories today, those nice stories about the Greek gods," Zelo said excitedly, recalling their lesson. "She said Zelos was hardworking, and then she said I was hardworking too! And that I would be Zelo from today onwards."

 

Kai laughed, bending down to pinch his cheek, his eyes twinkling. "I see, I bet you really are. I have to go now, but you wouldn't mind telling me the story the next time we meet right?"

 

Junhong's face fell, disappointed that this handsome but rather tanned ahjussi was leaving so soon.

 

"I better get going now, thanks for that dance lesson Jongup," Kai said, waving goodbye to Jongup. "I really appreciate the help!" Kai said.

 

"Man, do you really have to leave? I can tell Junhong really wants you to stay," Jongup said, sounding a tad bit disappointed.

 

"Yeah, I have lots of homework to complete, and I promised my mum I'd get my grades up in exchange for that concert," Kai replied, ruffling Junhong's hair for the last time, and waving goodbye to the both of them.

 

"Okay, well, good luck with Kyungsoo sshi!" Jongup called after him as he jogged towards the main street. He raised his right hand but didn't turn back, waving two fingers as a sign saying that he would be alright.

 

"Come on Junhong, let's get going, it's already five o'clock, sorry for coming so late," Jongup said, taking Junhong's hand in his as they started to walk in the direction of their house.

 

"No no it was okay, I was playing blocks with my friends while we waited," Junhong said cheerfully, "but...could you get me some ice-cream? Please? I will tell mummy you came late if you don't," he threatened cutely, trying his best to glare at Jongup.

 

"Your mum won't like it if you ate too much sweet stuff Junhong," Jongup scolded lightly. He wouldn't have minded if he came to fetch him on a different day, but he was awfully tired right now.

 

Junhong didn't seem to notice however, and continued to speak, "then can we go play in the playground at the park? Please?"

 

Junhong pleaded with his hyung, pointing towards the park, the one Himchan took Jongup to the other day. Jongup sighed, and Junhong stood rooted to the ground, proclaiming how he would never leave that spot if Jongup didn't let him go play right now, and how he would face hell from his aunt after that.

 

"Okay," Jongup finally relented, but he pursed his lips, saying, "only for a while okay? I am feeling a bit tired today Junhong."

 

"It's Zelo, but okay! Thank you hyung!" Junhong cheered as he started to run, through the entrance of the park and towards the small kids' playground.

 

Jongup dragged his feet lethargically towards Junhong, and sat on the swing set as he watched his cousin start to climb in and out of the jungle gym. It must be nice to be so energetic, Jongup thought, sighing as he rested his head on the side of the metal chains as he swung back and forth gently. Junhong gestured for Jongup to join him, but he shook his head, smiling tiredly.

 

He was reminded of how he used to come here with Daehyun when he was young, how that er pushed him into the pond once, and how he got into trouble with his mother for dirtying his brand new clothes. And then there was the time they spied on a young couple making out behind the bushes, but of course he was too innocent to understand what they were doing at that time. He remembered being horrified at how he thought those people were trying to eat each other's faces off, and how Daehyun had forced him to keep watching. He chuckled at those memories, smiling a bit as he watched Junhong play. When Junhong was just a year old, they would take turns pushing him in the child's pram, during the times when their families would organize those large picnics and barbecues at the park together.

 

It was after a while when the sun began to set, the sky starting to paint itself a pale mix of yellow and pink. It wasn't long before the lights in the deserted park start to switch on one by one, illuminating the surroundings and bathing the bushes and trees around in a soft lighted glow.

 

Junhong ran towards towards Jongup, panting slightly, seemingly to have played enough, or so Jongup thought.

 

"Finally done?" Jongup joked lightly, and Junhong pouted, looking disappointed.

 

"Maybe, but maybe not if you can't catch me hyung!" Junhong blurted, and started to take off, running away from Jongup towards the area where the large pond was located. Jongup groaned, his patience wearing thin. Why oh why, he thought as he got up from the swing seat, trying to calm himself as he counted to ten. Why me. He bit his lips and jogged towards where Junhong ran, wanting to get this over and done with as soon as possible.

 

"Junhong, I swear you are coming home right this-" he stopped, his voice trailing off as he rounded the corner. "...Instant"

 

Junhong was surrounded by three men, all of whom looked a little over twenty and were surrounding the small boy. Junhong look terrified, ready to cry. One of the guy's hands clamped over his wrist. "Oh, well look who we have here," one of the guys said as he noticed Jongup, and from his slurred speech at the end, Jongup could tell he was quite drunk. Taking advantage of the distraction, Junhong squirmed and wriggled out of the person's grasp, running towards Jongup.

 

"Hyung," he whined, grabbing a fistful of Jongup's pants and burying his face in it. Jongup squatted down and cupped his face protectively.

 

"That kid knocked into us! Not even an apology?" One man jeered.

 

"What happened? Did they hurt you?" Jongup asked, ignoring the person as his heart started to beat really quick in his ribcage. Junhong shook his head, his bottom lip trembling. Jongup nodded and grabbed his hand. "Come on, let's go," he whispered hurriedly, walking back to where the entrance was.

 

"Hey hey, why don't you come hang with us?" The three teenagers walked briskly towards the two, and one reached out to grab Jongup's elbow. Jongup shook it off roughly, turning to glare at the person, but feeling a stone get stuck in his throat. He gulped, backing away but managing to get a closer look at their faces. The first had a tattoo on the side of his neck, and the second was tall and lanky with hair half covering his face. The third one was short but burly, his arms ripped and his head shaven. Jongup's glare faltered and he stepped back as their eyes darted back and forth over his body, and Jongup cursed himself for changing into a sleeveless shirt.

 

The tattooed male let out a low whistle. "Look at what we chanced upon," he said, and all of them leered at Jongup.

 

"He's better looking than all those cheap ones at the bar combined," the second one guffawed and they all nodded.

 

Jongup's heart was beating ridiculously fast and he was starting to sweat. Junhong tugged at his pants, worried and not knowing what they were trying to do to his hyung.

 

"Hey pretty face, what are the likes of you doing around here?" the lanky guy said, his voice hoarse and husky. "Whaddya' say you come play with us?"

 

"No thank you," Jongup tried to say firmly, but it came out rather weak and strained.

 

"Aw come on, surely nobody would mind you disappearing for a couple of hours?" the male tried again, smiling to reveal rather crooked and yellow teeth.

 

"I-I have a kid," Jongup stuttered, pushing Junhong protectively behind him. Junhong was trembling with fear as he clutched onto Jongup's pants, tears building up in his eyes.

 

"Well surely he's not yours?" The second burly, stock male said, his eyes twinkling. "Anyone can see that you are still-" his eyes raking over Jongup's body, and he his lips slightly before continuing. "A ."

Jongup's heart thundered in his ribcage, and he started to back away slightly. That implication was anything was innocent. "Go, Junhong," he whispered, and Junhong looked at him, frightened.

 

"What?"

 

"I said go Junhong! Run!" Jongup said, turning back and giving Zelo a push forward. Zelo got the message and started to run to where the playground was before, as fast as his short stubby legs could take him. Jongup broke into a dash, but before he could even take a few steps, he felt a hand latch onto his wrist.

 

"Woah, easy there kid, we just wanna have some fun with ya'," The tattooed man said, and though his tone was light, his grip on Jongup's wrist tightened, causing him to wince slightly in pain.

 

"That's right, no need to be so afraid," the burly male jeered and Jongup was pulled back towards the man, his back against his chest and his wrist still tightly entrapped. He cringed at the odour of liquor and cigarettes from the man's breath, and gasped in pain as the man roughly grabbed his chin, turning and surveying his face closely.

 

"Such a pretty face..." he whispered huskily."Barely a spot on it. I think we got lucky tonight boys," Jongup gagged and tried to wrench his face out of the male's grip.

 

He tried to free his hand, but didn't have the energy to. Despite being rather built, he was tired, more tired than he had thought. Tears started to form at the corner of his eyes, from both pain and fear.

 

"W-What are you trying to do?" Jongup asked, frantic and his voice rose in pitch. He didn't like this, not at all. He winced as the stocky man grabbed his hips, squeezing them harshly.

 

"What'd do you think pretty face?" he breathed, and Jongup was disgusted to hear how his voice slightly trembled from anticipation.

 

"P-please, s-stop," he protested weakly, his knees turning to jelly. They all laughed mockingly, and Jongup's heart went at a faster rate as the second one started to lift up his shirt and have his hand creep up his abdomen.

 

"H-HELP!" Jongup cried and immediately had a dirty and greasy hand clamp over his mouth. He gagged as he breathed in the stench, and the men hissed at him. "Oh, you really wouldn't want to try and attempt that again, pretty face."

 

"N-no, p-please." Jongup clenched his eyes shut, tears starting to fall from beneath his eyelids, praying for someone to come.

 

Someone, anyone.

 

"STOP!" Jongup felt the hand on his stomach wrenched away all of a sudden, and the grip on his wrist slackened. He opened his eyes, ripping his hand out of the grasp and tumbling forward into someone. He whimpered and shut his eyes tightly as the person grabbed him by his shoulders, thinking it was one of the men.

 

"Jongup?" Jongup opened his eyes, shocked, recognizing that familiar voice. Daehyun was staring back at him, his eyes soft, concerned, but they suddenly turned livid as his fingertips reached over to brush a fallen tear from Jongup's cheek.

 

He released Jongup and walked over to the man he had just pushed to the floor and was just getting up.

 

"You bas-" he started to say, but was cut off the moment Daehyun threw a punch towards the side of his face, socking him in the jaw. Daehyun didn't stop though. He grabbed a fistful of the man's shirt and started to punch him in the face again and again, doing it harder every single time, until the man was whimpering and begging him to stop, his hands clawing at Daehyun's that was latched onto his shirt.

 

Daehyun kicked him in the area it where would hurt most, the man gasping in pain and instinctly grabbing for it. It felt as if Daehyun had just set it on fire.

 

The lanky man took the chance to grab Daehyun from the back and try and get him in a head lock, but Daehyun elbowed him in the gut and then upwards towards his jaw, the resounding crack echoing as his lower teeth came into contact with his upper teeth. He swung his right fist at his face and then kneed his gut, the man doubling over in pain as he did so. He pushed him roughly to the ground, and walked over to the person he wanted to hurt most.

 

Daehyun clenched and unclenched his fists as he stalked over to the man who held Jongup just now. A murderous air emitted from Daehyun's every step, as the man gaped at his fallen friends and held his hands out in surrender, shaking his head. He hissed out for his friends to quickly get up, but wheezed as Daehyun suddenly grabbed his throat.

 

He was trembling and , he was close to pissing himself. He grabbed at Daehyun's hand that was enclosed around his throat, feeling his blood go cold as Daehyun's unfeeling brown orbs stared into his, as if daring him to try and fight back.

 

"I-I am s-sorry," he coughed, gasping.

 

"What," Daehyun spat.

 

"I-I am sorry!" he cried desperately, as the youth's hand tightened around his throat once more. "If I had known that was your boyfriend I wouldn't have-"

 

" you," Daehyun whispered dangerously, his voice a tone lower. "Sorry won't cut it."

 

Daehyun gave the person a second's grace before he kneed him in the stomach, and as the man bent over, Daehyun had his left hand support the back of the male's head as he let the man's face come into contact with his knee once again, a resounding crack upon impact. The male fell on his knees to the ground, coughing and spluttering as a torrent of blood started to flow from his broken nose, staining the front of his shirt. Daehyun grabbed his collar, raising his fist once more and feeling a sense of satisfaction as the male raised both hands to shield himself, cowering in fear.

 

"Stop! Daehyun!" Daehyun felt hands grab onto his raised one and he turned to see Jongup looking at him, trembling and shaking his head.

 

"T-that's enough, h-he's hurt enough."

 

The look in Daehyun's eyes softened. Trust Jongup to be this nice and naive even after these ers tried to him. Daehyun shook his head. There has to be someone to make them learn their places again. "This er hurt you just now, he deserves this," he growled, shaking Jongup's hand off him and trying to hit the male again.

 

"No!" Jongup cried, hugging Daehyun around the waist instead and drag him away from the cowering male.

 

"H-he didn't hurt me," Jongup whispered, not noticing the way Daehyun blushed. Daehyun stopped struggling, and Jongup released his hands from around Daehyun's waist, his cheeks turning slightly pink from what he had just done. He froze as the taller boy cupped his face, turning it left and right to check for bruises to see if Jongup was lying. Jongup blinked and looked at Daehyun as his fingertips ghosted over his dried tears.

 

"I saw Junhong running out of the park, he was crying and he told me you were in trouble," Daehyun breathed. "I almost couldn't recognize him with his new blonde hair, but I came as fast as I could," he said.

 

Jongup didn't know what to think. The way Daehyun had reacted earlier, it was all so violent, out of anger. Why was he that angry? Surely Daehyun was just helping him out. Jongup felt heartened, yet embarrassed because he was sure Daehyun was going to about this again. The way Daehyun had acted when he realized Jongup had cried...it was almost like that day, on the bus.

 

"T-thank you," Jongup spluttered. He hung his head, feeling tears build up in his eyes again. It was so scary, and he that close to getting... What would have happened if Daehyun hadn't arrived in time? Could he...did he really want to think about that? Jongup felt disgusted, with the men, with himself for being so helpless and weak. He wanted to vomit as he remembered how they had touched him, and he trembled slightly, afraid.

 

"I-I..."

 

But this was Daehyun, Jongup couldn't cry in front of him, because then Daehyun would start to rant on about it and for being a crybaby over the course of the next few days.

 

"I-I really am a loser huh," Jongup tried to joke, his words choking up.

 

"Jongup!" Daehyun suddenly shouted and Jongup glanced up, surprised. Daehyun was obviously frustrated, angry at both himself and Jongup. Daehyun grabbed at his hair, his face slightly red from the frustration and what he did just now.

 

"You were nearly by those men! How can you treat this so lightly?! Do you honestly think that that was a joke? That this was a joke? Those men touched you-" Daehyun stopped short as he saw silent tears start to flow down Jongup's face, but they were gone as quickly as they came, for Jongup hastily wiped them away. He sniffled as the tears kept flowing, but as he reached towards his face again, Daehyun reached out to take his hand.

 

"Don't Jongup, j-just cry. I am sorry for being so harsh on you," Daehyun said, hanging his head and Jongup was confused. This was so weird; everything about Daehyun right now was weird.

 

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Jongup whispered, but before Daehyun could reply, they were interrupted by a voice.

 

"Hyung!" Jongup looked to see Junhong running towards the two of them, his face streaked with tears. Jongup hurried to wipe away his own, and squatted down to embrace Junhong, wrapping his arms tightly around the child. Junhong was wailing, gripping onto Jongup's shirt.

 

"S-sorry hyung, i-if I hadn't played then you wouldn't have been b-bullied by those people," Junhong cried.

 

Jongup smiled and brushed away Junhong's tears with both his thumbs. "I'm okay Junhong! Look," he raised his arms to emphasize his point, and ruffled his hair affectionately. "It's not your fault Junhong, are you okay?"

 

Junhong nodded, sniffling, rubbing his nose with his long sleeves. "D-Daehyun hyung told me to wait at the playground until you two came back, but I didn't want to wait anymore," he hiccupped. Jongup gathered Junhong into his arms, rubbing soothing circles into his back.

 

"Shh," he soothed, "Everything is okay now, and your Daehyun hyung took care of those people." Jongup glanced at Daehyun as Junhong hiccuped into his shoulder, and saw that he was making a call, most probably to the police. It was already very dark out and the three men were still groaning on the ground, unable to regain their senses yet.

 

"I just made a report," Daehyun said, locking his phone. "They should be here in a few minutes, to round these s up," he said, walking over to nudge one of the man's body with his foot. Jongup stood up, casting his gaze towards the ground.

 

"I-I- thank you, Daehyun," Jongup said again as he rubbed his palms awkwardly together. "I can't thank you enou-"

 

He was cut short as he suddenly felt strong arms wrap around him, and the smell of Daehyun's regular shampoo filled his nostrils. His heart was pounding against his ribcage, and he felt colour steadily rise up to his cheek.

 

Why. Why was he doing this?

 

"Please, Jongup," Daehyun said, "Please be careful in future. I don't know what I would have done if-if those men really you. Jongup...don't do this to me."

 

Daehyun pulled away from Jongup, staring into his eyes. True sincerity and concern was reflected in those eyes, something Jongup never thought he would see from Daehyun. And there was something else. Anxiousness? yes, maybe, but one other thing Jongup couldn't really place. He shook his head.

 

Do what? what did I do?

 

"Do you know how dangerous that was? How scared I was?"

 

No Daehyun, no I don't know.

 

Why were you that scared for me?

 

 

 

 

A/N: with every single Crash performance, my DaeJong ship just gets more and more torpedos drilled into it ㅠㅠ though Jonglo is adorable as well xD

I wrote a Daejong oneshot Lost and Found too :D go check it out!