Destiny [chapter 1]

Destiny

 

“Unniiiiiieeeeeeee~!!!”

Hyunnie looked up from the flowers she’d been observing for the past few minutes. The other angels called them dandelions. They were cute and tiny, but very fragile.

She forgot all about the dandelions as she rushed off to whoever was calling her name. The voice sounded like one of the twins.

“Girls, where are you?” she called out as she looked for them. She suddenly remembered their observation post and proceeded to fly over.

“He Ran? Was that you who called me?” Hyunnie asked as she moved behind a puffy cloud wall. The twins were lying flat on the tummies again, looking through the hole. They jumped up when they saw her and ran over.

Hwayoung grabbed her arm and began to speak excitedly.

“Unnie! The Chief said he’d reveal our mommy today!” she babbled, barely making out her words properly.

“Unnie I’m so excited! I really hope she’s nice and pretty!” He Ran added, as chipper as her twin.

Hyunnie paused for a second as she placed a hand over her chest.

Dugeun dugeun. Her heart was pounding loudly.

“Did he really say that? We’re finally going to meet her?” she said softly.

She allowed the twins to pull her over to their watch post and settled down comfortably.

She remembered the other day when their daddy and his band were on a show. It was a music show, and there were a lot of pretty girls there, too. She’d looked around, trying to find a suitable one for her daddy. She thought it was better for her daddy to meet someone who had the same likes and environment.

She couldn’t find any. Or rather, she didn’t like any of them. Yes, they were pretty, and she bet some of them were nice. But she wanted someone who would make her heart jump the moment she saw her. She considered it a sign that they were destined to be mother and daughter.

She hoped that this “assigned” mommy would make her feel that way. It would make things easier.

She looked through the window they’ve made through the cloud and saw a man.

“I thought we’re looking at our mom?” she asked the twins, puzzled at what she saw.

“I know unnie, that’s why we’re confused, too. I wanna see our mommy now~” little He Ran cried.

Hyunnie looked closely at the guy. She was kind of relieved that she already knew who their daddy was, so she was sure this wasn’t him. But what did he have to do with their mommy?

“Unnie look! Look at his hands. He’s looking at pictures of girls! Is our mommy one of them?” Hwayoung called out excitedly.

Hyunnie looked closely and saw the pictures. They were indeed all girls. They were all pretty, too. But Hyunnie couldn’t figure out their personalities from just photos.

The man suddenly got on the phone and called someone.

“Oh, Yonghwa-ssi, hello—“

Hyunnie quickly pushed Hwayoung to the side.

“Quick! Open up to daddy’s place now, palli!!!” she ordered. The twins quickly moved aside and did as she instructed.

“—Ahh yes, I’m the PD for the show – Yes, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for your wife? – Uh-huh – Are you sure? – Alright then, we’ll see you as scheduled, bye!”

The man put down the phone and shook his head. He leaned on one hand and looked at the photos carefully for a minute. After a few moments of deliberation, he shrugged his shoulders and quickly put the pictures together in a stack. He closed his eyes, picked a photo, and pulled it out.

“Ahh, good one. She’ll  do,” the man said.

Hyunnie was getting confused. She heard the words “show” and “wife” from the man, and it was all making her dizzy.

“Unnie, daddy said to the man that ‘just anyone would be fine’,” He Ran whispered from their position.

Hyunnie sat up suddenly. This wasn’t going well.

“I’m going down, girls. Watch over things for me here,” she instructed as she opened her wings and got ready.

“But unnie, we’re not allowed. I mean, you didn’t get permission to do that,” Hwayoung said as she tried to dissuade her.

“Well, we can’t just let our daddy get married to “just anyone,” she said, getting red in the face. Sometimes men can be very dense, she thought. I love you already, daddy, but I think you’ll need help on this one.

She kissed the twins on the cheeks and flew off.

Her daddy needed her help. She had to make sure he met the right one.

☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁

Hyunnie yawned as she adjusted her position on her perch on top of a doorway. She’d been sitting there since that morning, watching people walk by. She’d chosen to hang out at another music show, since her daddy was working there all day. It gave her a chance to observe the girls carefully.

“No, too tall (sorry daddy, but…), nah, too short—uhmm, we’ll see—not pretty enough—hol, she’s too noisy—NO! She’s too much of a diva—“

Hyunnie yawned again as countless people walked by. Another group of noisy girls were coming, and she prepared herself for an onslaught to her ears. She observed each one as they talked to each other excitedly. Hyunnie ticked each one off on her fingers as they passed by.

She sighed as no one passed her criteria again. It seemed to be a hopeless case.

And then she saw her.

A young girl was at the very last of the noisy group who just passed by. Her hair was in pigtails, and she was wearing very simple clothes. She was walking slowly, absorbed in a book. She was oblivious to her surroundings, and walked very, very slowly.

“Seohyun-ah! Palli! We’re next!” a voice called out.

Dugeun dugeun.

Hyunnie placed her hand on her chest.

The girl looked up from her book and looked towards the voice that called her.

“Coming unnie!” she called out. She closed her book and walked faster.

Dugeun dugeun.

Hyunnie followed the girl with her eyes, until she reached the stage and practiced with her group.

Dugeun dugeun.

It’s her. I’ve found her. I’ve finally found my mommy!

Hyunnie closed her eyes and sighed. She knew this was the right one. She could feel it in her heart and in her wings (which were fluttering wildly, by the way). But what really won her over were the girl’s eyes—they were clear, bright and honest.

She’s the one. I’ve found her, daddy!

She was so excited, she couldn’t keep still. She danced along to her mommy’s song as they performed.

Oh, oh, oh, oh mommy-oh! Would you like to meet my daddy-yo?!

She giggled as she made up her own lyrics to the song.  She had to make them meet soon.

Before she’d even finished the thought, her daddy passed by. He was smartly dressed up in a suit. Following him was Hoonie’s daddy.

Wow, he’s a handsome one, too, but my daddy’s better.

She snickered at the thought of teasing Hoonie later. Two giants followed their daddies.

Whoah, they’re big O___O

Hyunnnie couldn’t help her jaw from dropping.

She quickly pulled herself together as she saw her mommy and the other girls start to walk down from the side of the stage. Someone handed back the book her mommy was reading before she got onstage.

Moving quickly, she thought up a plan as she moved beside her daddy.

Mommy was flipping through the pages of her book again. Daddy was walking with his guitar.

Just a little push, Hyunnie, just a little push.

“Ugh—“

There, that was easy.

“Oh no, I’m so sorry,” Seohyun mumbled as she bumped into somebody. Her book fell to the ground, and she quickly bent over to get it.

“I’m sorry, it’s my fault,” Yonghwa said as he bent down to get the book.

They grabbed the book at exactly the same time.

Hyunnie stopped breathing for a moment.

Seohyun looked up and stared into a pair of big, round eyes.

Yonghwa stared into the clearest, most honest and sparkling eyes he’d ever seen.

Hyunnie clapped her hands together and giggled.

“I’m so sorry, it’s all my fault, I wasn’t looking—“ Seohyun started to stammer.

Yonghwa smiled, that toothy grin making Seohyun’s heart flutter.

Hyunnie giggled some more as she watched her parents stare at each other.

Things are gonna get more interesting from now on…

☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁

Hyunnie glared at the PD from her perch by the window sill. She was getting more irritated as the meeting wore on. They were talking about the “show” that his daddy was gonna be in, and he mentioned the word “wife” again.

She already had a mommy, and she wasn’t letting any other random girl get her hands on her daddy. She had to do something.

“Unnie,” someone whispered from behind.

Hyunnie turned around to see the twins.

“What are you two doing here?!” she hissed at them. She suddenly began to get nervous. They were going to be in a lot of trouble if they got caught.

“We’re not letting you have all the fun, unnie,” Hwayoung grinned as she floated, her little angel wings fluttering in the wind.

“But we’re gonna be in big trouble!” Hyunnie whispered angrily.

“No worries unnie, we’ve got insurance. Don’t we, Hoonie?!” He Ran grinned as she looked up.

Hyunnie looked up at the same time and saw the waving hand of Hoonie from atop their fluffy home. Hyunnie sighed. There was no turning back at this point.

“Unnie, watch this,” Hwayoung said as she winked at her.

She flew through the window and perched herself on the conference table.

The PD was speaking again.

“So I talked to Yonghwa-ssi, and he told me any girl would do,” he said. The staff mumbled among themselves upon hearing this.

The PD held up a hand for silence.

“Yes, yes I know that could be a disaster, so I chose the girl carefully for him,” he said.

Psshhh, you just closed your eyes and picked a photo!?! Hyunnie hissed at no one in particular.

“So, without further ado, I present to you our Mrs. Ju—“

Hwayoung tipped over the paper cup filled with coffee onto the photos laid on the table.

“Waaahhhh no!?! #$^%@!&^!!” the PD exclaimed as he tried to salvage the photos.

HeRan flicked the photos in his hand, flinging them into the air and dropping them on the floor as one big, sopping mess.

Hwayoung dropped a dry, clean photo on the table at the same time.

“PDnim, are you performing a magic trick or something?” one staff member asked.

The PD looked at them in surprise, his mind still on the pile of wet photos on the floor. “Huh?”

Hwayoung crossed her arms across her chest and smirked at her twin.

The staff clapped their hands. The nearest one grabbed the only remaining photo on the table.

“Well, you’re pretty good! And the winner is—SNSD’s Seohyun-ssi!”

“Huh?!” was the PDnim’s only answer.

The twins flew over to their unnie by the window.

“So, how did we do?!” they eagerly asked.

Hyunnie grinned and clapped her hands

“I just wanna say… you girls are amazing!” she exclaimed, clearly satisfied with her sisters’ antics.

“Now let’s get back before we’re caught. We’ve got more planning to do!”

The trio flew off into the sunset.

Not bad for a day’s work, Hyunnie thought to herself as she watched the twins play as they flew home.

Not bad at all.

☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁☀☁