How Far will Your (Mis)Fortune Lead You ?

G-minor to G-stress

He was so annoyingly loud. Ri-an was expecting nothing from him, not even a tiny-nano-sized manner from a boy who often called himself a ‘rock star’. No, she didn’t expect any brilliant art of socialization from the ‘jungle boy’. But Yoo Jin’s loud mouth had pique her interest by giving a shallow comment about her personality.

Ha?! What did he say? She was rude? Cocky? Hey! Was it wrong for being rude if that means you could be honest with yourself?

Yoo Jin even ridiculed her hairpin. And Ri-an’s ear were ‘gorgeously’ turned color into a shade of red when Yoo Jin mocked on her style. That’s it! She was not gonna tolerate any insult to her sense of fashion anymore.

Ri-an stood up and held her anger, ready to burst anytime. She narrowed her kitten eyes when she heard Yoo Jin yelled about something kissing all the boys in Kirin just because Ui Bong . Ri-an gritted her teeth when she detected a hint of disgust in his voice. ‘That stupid, stupid bastard!’

Her confidence rose up as she saw JB showed up. She knew she could always had his support if the super childish ‘rock star’ messed up with her.

“Really? You’ll do it?”

She heard JB said something. What? Did he just-

Ri-an couldn’t finish her train of thought. To her surprise, JB pushed Yoo Jin towards her. And she just stood on her latest spot dumbly as something hard and warm collided with her body. Especially when a pair of dark onyx starring widely into her eyes. A couple of seconds passed before a realisation struck her. Those black orbs were so close with hers. And Ri-an’s lips with the owner of the starring eyes’ lips had no distance. Ri-an always thought that her eyes would never show any espression beside boredom and evil glare, but this time she knew for sure that her eyes were as wide as silver platters. Anger, shock, and... more anger were mingled in them.

He-, how dare he-

Ri-an broke the contact between her lips and Yoo Jin’s, before added another physical contact: her palm with his cheek.

 


 

“AAAH!”

“Don’t  ‘AHH’ me, Yoo Jin-ah. Aiiissh! You’re more crybaby than Hae Poong,” Hae Sung slapped Yoo Jin’s hand when he tried to stop Hae Sung from putting the ice pack on his cheek. There they were, sitting side by side at the corner of the class while Mr. Jin Man explaining the new class arrangement on the informal meeting they held.

“She’s a devil. At least a devil’s courtesan. How could she enroll this school without being expelled at least once? That’s it! I’ll report to the headmaster  about her deviant behaviour. Aah! Be careful,Shin Hae Sung!”

Ui Bong cuckled. A glint of a quilty pleasure twingkled on his eyes, “Sooo... when will i get my kiss? Make sure that i’ll be the first one you kiss before the entire boys of Kirin lining up.”

“Shut up!”

The smaller boy shook his head in a fake desperation, “Tsk! Tsk! Yoo Jin-ah, the real gentleman always keep his words.”

“That’s not count! It was JB’s fault. He had planned all this, i cant tell. He’s a dokkaebi* wearing an innocent civilian mask. Aaa!”

Hae Sung, this time, slapped Yoo Jin’s other cheek. This time because he said something offensive about her boyfriend, and was definitely going to start a ruckus involving Ui Bong along the way. “The teacher will scold us so stop shouting, you stupid moron,” Hae Sung half whispered half threatened.

“That’s redundancy.”

Hae Sung put more preasure on Yoo Jin’s cheek and gained more whinning from him.

“Shut up or i’ll kill you with this ice pack.”

Yoo Jin hissed, both because of the pain on his cheek and Hae Sung’s threat. The said girl continued to take care her friend. Thank God, Yoo Jin didn’t say any more word this time.

Aigoo, i think the color will remain red or maybe turn into purple for the next couple of days,” Hae Sung remarked with interest, oblivious of the horror look from her friend.

“Or pink if you get lucky,” Ui Bong added. “You don’t need to put any blush on, Yoo Jin-ah.”

“You-“

“Stop it, both of you!” Hae Sung held her  voice from rising, she also glared at the boy who exchanged his seat after Yoo Jin got slapped, “Ui Bong-ah, don’t anymore, will you?”

Hae Sung furrow her eyebrow. Making a small wringkle between them. At last she gained silence from the troublesome duo. She inspected Yoo Jin’s facial contour and found that her friend still held fury expression. Hae Sung didn’t need to guess. It must have been Ri-an.

“Seriously, Yoo Jin. I always saw you and Ri-an have fights during our school time. A lot. But don’t you tired of it?”

“No.”

Hae Sung sighed. Man’s ego...

“Really, guys. What happen to both of you? Is there any particular reason that you hate her so much? Yes, she often say something rude and end up offend someone, but when you hang out with her, you’ll know that she’s not that bad.”

This time Hae Sung felt that she had woke a vampire within Yoo Jin. A chill run down her spine when he eyed her, almost menacingly.

She only grinned nervously, tried to be as cordial as she could.

“The ‘not-that-bad’ girl you said almost had me kissed her shoes’ sole,” Yoo Jin spitted venom from his words.

“Ha?” was Hae Sung’s only reply.

Yoo Jin slammed the table in front of him, “She tried to kicked my face at the moment we first met!”

The whole class attendant turned their heads to the now standing dark haired boy, including Mr. Jin Man. Most of them agaped, while of course Ri-an was the only exception.

Mr. Jin Man was the first one whe regained his composure, “Jin Yoo Jin, please take your time standing on the hall.”

 


 

Really, how ‘lucky’ Jin Yoo Jin was?

He kissed Ri-an and got slapped on the face. Some people said that the girls’ punch was nothing compared to men’s... or boy’s. But it turned out differently when they deal with the ‘slap’. It was hurt like hell.

Yoo Jin hit the drum in a crazy speed.  Yes, instead of standing on the hall like Mr. Jin Man had told him to, Yoo Jin chose to spend the hours on the music room and released his bad mood by abusing the poor music instrument. But the unpleasant memory from this morning event kept flashing over and over again on his head.

Ri-an was the forth woman he ever kissed. The forth after his granny, mother, and Kim Dong Ah (a local cat he adopted).  But Yoo Jin only give three of them a peck on the cheek. Which made Ri-an as the first non-family member he ever kissed –with his lips-, damn it! Yoo Jin threw the drum stick in the air furiously.

After finding that hitting the drum was not helping in fixing his drawn mood, Yoo Jin layed on the floor to calm his emotion. Eyes fixed on the ceiling, carving every line of pattern along it on his mind. Strangely, the heat on his head was suddenly calm down.

A childish smile sprawled over his lips, “This situation won’t get any worser, right?”

Right?

 


 

Jin Man was drawning. His body was consumed little by little. By his chair.

In front of him stood the two furious student of Kirin Art School.

“We want to change!” Both of the students spoke in unison. Then glaring to each other.

Yoo Jin never thought that his misfortune would go this far. The teacher had decided to pair him up with his number one enemy. Their class was split to small teams, and each of them consist of two students. They should do every assigment for a semester ahead, together. Yoo Jin was on the music practice room when the announcement made and you could imagine his reaction when he was told. It was the second Krakatoa explosion. Ri-an was already protested about this issue, but as we could see, it was useless. However, both of them refused to give up. They chased the teacher to the office.

“I don’t want to be paired up with her/him.”

Again, both of them spoke at the same time. “Don’t copy me!” Both of them miraculously said something same for the third time.

“Is this about-“

Jin Man’s word was cut by a line of protest from Ri-an, “Yes, this is about the class arrangement. You know that it’s not a wise decision to put us together. See? While i’m doing the talking he just stood here and couldn’t utter a single word beside copying me. Do you have any idea about the gap between our intelligence?”

The boy slowly turned his attention to the girl beside him. Irk was dominated his facial expression. How he longing to put his hand on her slender neck... and smother her.

Yah! I’d rather chew a guitar pick than team up with you.”

“Such as you rather kiss the boys than kiss Ri-an?”

Yoo Jin eyes were wide. Jin Man was agaped. And Ri-an herself felt that her face turn into a shade of rainbow. Just why did someone have to bring the taboo topic up at a time like this? Three of them diverted their gaze to the person behind them where the cruel voice came from.

“Here comes Edward Cullen’s ancestor,” Yoo Jin muttered. While Lee Kang Chul, the headmaster of Kirin Art School took the spot. He smiled fondly to him, “I’ll pretend that i didn’t hear that.”

Ri-an shot a glare at Yoo Jin and whispered from her half-shut lips, “How stupid can you be, actually?”

“Ah, my beloved students took an initiation to visit the teachers’s office, i see.” Kang Chul nodded to them while maintaining his smile.

“We came to discuss about our objection,” Yoo Jin said.

“About the two-people-team? What ground do your objection based on?”

“We’re not in a good relationship. You see, she is targetting my live since the first time we met. How am i supposed to do the school assigment and stay alive with a lethal threat like her wandering around?”

“What? What did you say?” Ri-an almost lost her composure because of Yoo Jin.

“And we don’t have any chemistry,” Yoo Jin added with confidence, thinking that he said something smart.

“We order  you to do the assigment as a team, not to get married, stupid boy,” Kang Chul threw a random book on the table, making three of them jump a little. And all of a sudden Kang Chul’s voice lost its gentleness.

“We decided this not because we want to cause some difficulties, but we’ve considered every aspect, especially your talent and ability. Jin Yoo Jin, you can compose a good lyric and you have a unique voice type. However, your performance is often excessively delivered. And you also have a hard time with coreography. Try to manage your emotion so that you can deliver the message of the song you sing. And you, Ri-an, you’re a good dancer, you also have a soft and soothing, comforting voice, which is good for you. But you have no emotion in your performance. Your acting skill is horrible. Can you see where we’re heading to? By combining your talent, we sure that we can cover your disabilities. And if you’re smart enough, you’ll develop a mutual relationship where you can learn to conquer your weakness, not only cover it. This decision is final. Accept it wether you like it or not and close this case immediately. Now get out before i accuse both of you for improper public scene by kissing in the class!”

Before the youngsters could even manage to say a word, they already found themself outside the office. Behind the closed door.

A very irritating silence grew between those two. And it turned out so ugly like a scratch on the blackboard.

Ri-an, become the initiative one, broke the silence. She eyed the taller boy who refused to look at her.

“Between you and me, who’ll die first?”

Yoo Jin snapped a disbelieve look at her, before smirking at the girl’s saying, “If that can make me free from you then i’ll take the liberty.” He took a step closer.

Again, he saw those kitten eyes of Ri-an narrowed eerily. A mocking line was foremed as she pursed her lips. She also took a step closer to him. She was not gonna lose to a boy whom she look down all this time.

Her movement was read as a challenge to Yoo Jin, she even hissed at him. And Yoo Jin was beyond eager to accept the message from her gesture. He took a step forward and hovered, tried to intimidate the rusty haired girl with his form and ignored how uncomfortable he was standing so close to her.

Before the boy and the girl could kill each other with their glarring contest, the window of the teachers’ office flung widen open. Jin Man’s head emerged from the tiny opening.

Yah! I forgot to say something. The new system has low tolerance to failure. Both of the member must successful in doing every assigment properly or your point will get reduced. Oh, one more thing, if your partner failed, you’ll fail as well and you can’t participate in the final exame which is not not for you. It was said by the principle himself.” Jin Man waved groggyly to his students and then shut the window.

Both of the youngsters looked at the now closed window disbelievingly.

“Is this some kind of joke?”

For the first time ever, Ri-an was agree with Yoo Jin’s statement.

 


 

*Dokkaebi is somekind of spirit in Korean folklore. It is illustrated as a frightening look goblin, but with no bad intention.

Hurray, the second chapter is done. How do you think?

Oh, by the way, i’m a nerbie here. So i’m so sorry for not properly introducing myself before. English is not my languange, so please endure my poor description and –maybe- some grammar mistakes and misspellings.

I just found this site when i was looking for Yoo Jin and Ri-an's fanfiction. And as a newbie, i don’t know the fiture of this website yet. So my fanfic layout maybe a little too simple. And by the way, what is 'Karma' ?

Thank you for commenting and subscribing my previous chapter. I hope you like this one better.

^^

Xie-Xie