When Your First Love Is Like This

Wonderful↹ You

With my hands held to my eyebrows, shielding myself from the rays of sunlight, I turned my head and consequently my body with it, examining the crowds. I staggered around for a while, trying to identify a familiar figure amongst the crowds.

I stood in the park, on a hectic Saturday afternoon amongst families basking under the sun's rays. The park consisted of a children's playground with: a swingset, multicoloured climbing frame; animal-themed seesaw and a navy blue roundabout. Beside the children's playground was a vast field, with faces that I recognised. I smiled politely and bowed to those who noticed me. I felt my shoulder contacting something with what felt like a face, I turned around and mouthed apologies; but stopped at what I saw.

Resting against my shoulder was the familiar figure I had been waiting for, Sooyeon.

"You're still so clumsy, just like my Dalgi." 

"For your information, your Dalgi is much worse, Jinyoung oppa."

I raised my arms, smiling at her, "So why did you call me?'

"Date."

My eyes widened, as large as the navy blue roundabout within my sights.

"D-date?! Um... I am flattered Sooyeon but you see I am still very much so in lo-"

"Idiot. I don't see what Hae sees in you,"A long leg swung towards me, attacking my shin. 

So violent... Maybe she isn't too much like Dalgi baby.

"You're not my type. I like the bad boy type while you're more... boy next door. Not as charming, if you ask me." I chuckled, amused at her personality that could only be compared to a firecracker.

"Then, does Jeonghwan fit the bad boy type better?"

Her cheeks flushed a deep red, "What-what are you talking about, you idiot?!" 

It had been very obvious to me: Jeonghwan would glance at her, eyes soft and kind smile; just like how I looked at Dahae. No matter how obvious it was to everyone else, neither party even dared to act upon it. When I asked Dahae about them, I was greeted with a mixture of expression that were absolutely adorable.

"Dahae-ssi," At that time, I still refered to her as Dahae. When we started dating, Dahae urged me to think of a cute, inventive nickname; explaining to me that well-thought-through nicknames was a sign of affection.

Now, you must understand that there are only two things that my wonderfully beautiful and cute girlfriend cannot do: sing and eat the scarlett red fruit, which I use as her nickname. She comlained profusely and ignored the stares she received from passing students. She was so adorably, it took me everything to hold my arms down and resist the urge to squeeze her perfectly chubby cheeks. It may be my imagination but, as Dalgi yelled at me for my lack of empathy towards her severe strawberry allergy, a small smile followed. 

"D-does Hae know?" She acted as if this conversation lulled her to sleep, but her eyes remained sharp like knives.

"Maybe she does... Or maybe she doesn't. Who knows?" Another memory returned to me.

"Your tone suggests that you do, idiot," she sighed. A conversation with me won't lower your IQ, you know, Sooyeon. "Now..."

I watched her for a while, a habit that had grown on me after spending so much time with Dahae. Sooyeon was a pretty person. She had a charming quality about her and yet her foible was evident. She spoke harshly, without concern for anything but the truth. My theory was that her first words were not in Korean, but in fluent sarcasm. 

Despite all of this, I knew that our frenemy-like relationship was strong. Sooyeon was natural blunt, like how Dahae was naturally short and yet she seemed to suit the gentle and caring Jeonghwan. I reminisced to a conversation between Dahae and I.

 

"I think Sooyeon and Jeonghwan look pretty promising, right?" 

The chewed pencil slipped from her soft, luscious lips, dropping to the laminated floor.

"... Oh, I see." Her expression stayed taut and my heart sunk. Did she like him?

"No. I don't, Jinyoung."

"What?"

"You asked me if I liked Jeonghwanie, I don't." She smiled at me. Her eyes forming cresent moons, lips widening. I focused on her lips for a while, hypnotized by the curves and fortituous rose tones.

"But, I do like someone else." My heart raced with the answer, though it gave me only a small hope... it was enough. At her words, my lips burst into wide smile and my eyes formed cresent moons as my heart leaped at the sight of my first love studying.

She frowned once she diverted her eyes away from my face and onto the notebook lying on the table, barely used."Hurry up, Jinyoung, you're taking too long. I might change my mind." 

I glanced at her, unsure about what that meant and she smiled back, mysteriously.

 

 

"So just remember that, okay?" 

"Eo?" It seemed like Sooyeon had been speaking for sometime now, my lack of focus clearly pissing her off.

"Well, I'm not going to repeat that speech, it was bad enough saying it once, so just nod pretty boy," I followed her command, submissive as I always was towards angry women.

 

"Good boy~ Well, I'll be going." I am not appreciating the attitude.

I nodded, then frowned. Huh, wonder what she said.

Now, I watched her back as she blended into the crowd, a little surprised at the brief meeting. 

Oomf. Again, I felt another body collide onto my back, harder and a groan escaped the person. A familiar voice grumbled, "Jinyoung, since when did you start exercising?" She rubbed her face and scowled with a slight blush forming on her cheeks. Slight signs of fatigue were obvious underneath her eyes and her eyelids appeared to be a little bloated, her eyes bloodshot and shiny in appearance. She had been crying.

I reached for her and tightly wrung my arms around her.

"Dalgi baby, don't cry~"

There was no need to ask her why her heart was hurting, all I knew then was that she needed me then. 

So I stood there, just as she whispers to me such haunting words.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Jinyoung. Let's end it here."

Suddenly the sunlight was burning my skin and the noise became unbearable and my heart ached like no other pain.

 Her words were poison and sunk in quickly, crushing me internally, as I finally let go of her and stood there, unable to say anything, unable to succumb to reality. I wished-in that moment-to be like Sooyeon, to be able to grasp the truth even though it was difficult.

I glanced at her, confused. I knew that I hurt her whenever I was late to our dates, but I thought she understood. I thought that she knew how much my dream meant to me; how long I've waited for this opportunity to come. I thought she could wait for me and I always hoped she would.

 

 

That was my first taste of heartbreak and I can only hope that no one will ever have a first love quite like this; because there is nothing like falling in love and being given hope that someday, you may marry the one you love. There is no pain quite like this.