A Promise on The School Rooftop

A Promise on The School Rooftop

The school rooftop always be a nice place for the class skipper. Although the teacher said it was a dangerous place and public restricted, many students come over to take a nape or stealing time for smoking, or maybe have a y time with their lover.

For Sungmin, the school rooftop was a nice place to take a nape and enjoying the silence that made by nature (and yes, he is one of those class skipper). It felt good for schooling near the forest, made a nature image surrounding here and there. He was always loves the way wind breezing, birds chirping along within, the smell of Eek in the forest—blew along with the north wind. Sungmin really piece in here.

And then that person would come join him. His very best buddy; his very first friend since in the his mother pregnancy period. The lanky man that always bring his PSP along with him. The genius who have an impressive deep voice, especially when it sang a soothing ballad song. A childhood friend, a bestfriend forever of Lee Sungmin; Cho Kyuhyun who lives five houses away from his.

Sungmin and Kyuhyun weren’t that famous in school. Yes, they were the attractive duo that always stick together like a twin—even a twin feel bored being together all the time, but they aren’t. They were always be the top in the specific subject, like Kyuhyun who always got first place in math and science and Sungmin who always got perfect scores in music and sports. Many girls chase them, but maybe because they always ended up together in all moments, slowly the chaser decreased and turned to be a secret admirers. Because like the world even knows that Sungmin and Kyuhyun would never be separated.

But even Sungmin didn’t like it when Kyuhyun come join in the rooftop only to teasing him. The lanky would barge onto the spot Sungmin likes to take a nape and talks a lot about nonsense until Sungmin got nervous and kicks the man’s while cursing. And when Kyuhyun satisfied and thought he had won, he will leave Sungmin alone, let the man enjoying the silence again. Sometimes Kyuhyun admit that there is the time he would search for Sungmin just to make the other mad. Or, simply want to see him.

Just like this time, when Sungmin finally in his peace with the sound of nature, he thought that he heard a familiar footsteps and the next thing he knows was he heard Kyuhyun’s voice.

“Min-ah I got the new episodes of ‘Minako Oujou-sama Series’!”

And that stupid but only God knows how genius he really is shouted something embrassing. “Yah Cho Kyuhyun! You didn’t need to yell it out so the entire school can heard what you said!” Sungmin forced to get his up as he knew Kyuhyun come closer.

“Ashee, so what if the entire school heard it, Min? it’s not like they would refuse the best AV series in this era!” Kyuhyun still with his loud voice, making the latter facepalmed. Sungmin didn’t know why, but Kyuhyun seems really like that AV series very much, as much as he do a download marathon to collect them. He watched it sometimes, with Kyuhyun, sneaked around from their parents knowledge. But, that’s a teenager do nowadays. He and Kyuhyun were eighteen and puberty stuff made their way up.

“You watch it alone, I don’t really interesting with her body or even her messy moans,” Sungmin replied lazily as he back to his previous position.

“Ming, she is not the blonde we watched two days ago. Minako doesn’t have a messy moans, she moans elegantly.” Ew, Sungmin wanna puke right know and there because the way Kyuhyun praising his AV idol. Silly brat.

Sungmin too lazy to arguing, so he shut Kyuhyun up and told the latter he really want to have a peaceful thirty minutes of sleep. His back facing Kyuhyun’s face, so he didn’t know that Kyuhyun have a smile ghosting on his face. He then leaned down beside Sungmin and cover the sunshine with his limb.

“Wanna me lullaby you?”

Sungmin gulped down his saliva before answering. “Please.”

And then Kyuhyun started lulling him with a beautiful tone, makes Sungmin thinks maybe a sound of Kyuhyun way better than a nature’s.

 

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

 

“You know guys, we’re about graduating from this school in five months.”

“Ah, a dilemma of the last grader, isn’t it?”

They all started to talking about their future after highschool end. Donghae said he won’t going to college, he wants to travelling to around the world, thanks to his obsession of photography. Siwon said he would like to take law majority, following his father’s step. And Hyukjae said he wants to enter an entertainment academy or something similar. He wants to prove hiss dancing and acting skills.

 “You are already a great dancer that I have ever known in my life, Hyuk,” Donghae said as he patted Hyukjae’s shoulder, makes the latter smile in grateful and shyness. “Then I should be a great actor after this,” the black-red haired man said.

“My father asked me to stay in Oxford after graduation.” Kyuhyun suddenly said and all focus moving on him. They all asking in confusion by their eyes. “I mean, I will take my business major in there.”

Silence.

“MWOH!” Donghae got overreaction.

“Why are you instead Siwon that take that majority?” Hyukjae asked with a frown. Siwon just took a glance to him and then looked at his bestfriend who now were being their focus. “Explain us, Kyu.”

Kyuhyun shrugs. “My father has decide that from a long long time ago and I was agreed. Noona is there too, so…” he shrugged over again.

“Minnie, you know about this?” Hyukjae turned his head to facing Sungmin who has been silence since when. He blinked twice as he nodded cutely.

“Yes, this brat had told me a long long time ago.” Sungmin replied as he nudged Kyuhyun with his elbow, make the younger by a month grunted.

The three of others looked at them in amuse. “So, finally there is a time that Cho Kyuhyun and Lee Sungmin will be separated? Because, Sungmin, you told me you are going to Seoul Art University, right?” Siwon said before Sungmin nodded cutely again, and then they fell in the ocean of a-bit-uncomfortable-silence.

 

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

 

Time flew fast. Too fast, much for Sungmin disappointed. Now he and his friends are facing the final exam, closer to the graduation he always hates and avoids—because there must be a farewell after that. But, there’s no way to avoid it anyway, except he wants to be a-seven-years-or-maybe-more-a-highschool-student.

But, really. Everynight, before he close his eyes to sleep, he always hope God listening his wish that he always sent to Him. “Please makes the time stop”, or “Please don’t let him go away from me”, or lately “Please give me more time to say It.

To tell the truth, he never accepted the decision Kyuhyun—and his oh so not understanding father—had made. Why overseas? Seoul has it’s best place to majoring business too. Why should Europe? So why if Ahra noona is there? Okay maybe Kyuhyun would be more happy that he will clingy over his beloved noona but…. Sungmin just simply can not accept those excuses.

“How about us?” he asked absentmindly when the first time Kyuhyun told him about the study abroad. And Kyuhyun answering him with silence.

“You’re not thinking about us. About me. Kyuhyun? How could you…. After the ing eighteen years we spend together? Business is just important than—“

“Min….”

“Don’t Min me. I am mad. Totally.” And then he leave Kyuhyun alone on the school rooftop with a loud bang of the thick iron door. But on the night, Sungmin called him and told the latter he was about to going to Seoul too, so it was a nonsense if he mad to Kyuhyun. But he was. Until now. He denied the limited time they have, and when it comes closer, he was furious.

He did not want to separated away from Kyuhyun.

He just can’t.

Same thought overwhelming Kyuhyun’s mind. He always stared at his room ceiling after turn off the light, head leaned on his palms, and mind going wild with the anxiety. He knew he made a gambling decision that probably will bring a huge impact to his friendship with Sungmin. His only one month older hyung was mad, as he expected. But he couldn’t do anything to change everything too. Entering business major was his pure willing, and his father was just offering the best place he knows.

It’s not like he didn’t think of Sungmin. Hell, only God knows how he always thinking about his Sungmin. But he knew Sungmin wouldn’t spend his life by staying in the countryside like this. His music talents would be really waste if he doesn’t go somewhere, to the better place than here. That’s way, he thought, even he follows him to Seoul it’s not like they will meet each other everyday or goes to the same college though. They will be ended up individual eventually.

But that’s thought doesn’t make everything alright. Nobody is alright right now, both him and Sungmin.

 

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

 

“I know you will be here.”

Sungmin turn around his head, looking to Kyuhyun who walk with hands inside his uniform pants. Sungmin back to the view of the afternoon city, a wild wind ruffling his black hair, making him grunted in annoy.

“This is my spot. Nobody can take it,” Sungmin said as he felt Kyuhyun’s presence beside him.

“Yeah yeah, Pumpkin Lord.”

“Game Freak.”

They both stopped talking and just gazed to every direction but the other’s face. The orange bright of afternoon sun is really calming, but the wind a little bit wild today. Finally Kyuhyun took a glance to his bestfriend. “You are not cold? You must be here since two hours ago, since the exam finally over.”

Yeah. The hell final exam has already over and now it’s their time to prepare entering college. “Hm… not at all,” Sungmin replied, half dozing. Kyuhyun nodded without saying anything, and let the sounds of the city take a role.

He felt something on his right shoulder and realized it was Sungmin’s head that was leaning on him. He could smell his shampoo scent, and it sweet like a mixed of fruits. He likes the scent. He always like it.

“Minnie-ah…”

“Kyuhyun-ah…”

When it comes to the two of them, without considering the place or time, they wouldn’t need to shy to be so cheesy like this. They always doing this since very young, when they’re tired of something or were just need a shoulder to lean on. Even a brat like Kyuhyun or a high-pride man like Sungmin would not hazy to share something embracing or even crying. Because it’s only two of them.

“How is the preparation?” Kyuhyun knows Sungmin talked about his study abroad. He prepared himself to the conversation.

“Fine, I guess. Only waiting the exam result to be out, and… it’s ready to be send,” he answered with a heavy sigh. Sungmin looked at him in the eyes, makes Kyuhyun a bit furious to loses Sungmin’s warmth on his side.

“You’re taking a scholarship?” Kyuhyun nodded, and Sungmin can’t be more proud to his bestfriend. “That’s cool! Good luck, Kyu.” Sungmin smiled gently, his face shined with the sunset colour, makes him more beautiful. Kyuhyun had to hold his urge to hug the man in front of him. He only let his finger to caress Sungmin’s cheek, which made the smaller man blushed but leaned in anyway.

“How about you?” Kyuhyun asked back, voice in lower tone, trying to not breaking the mood.

“Same as you, the preparation was finish and just waiting for the result out.” Sungmin choosed to rest his head again on Kyuhyun’s shoulder. He couldn’t survive under the intimacy Kyuhyun sent by his gaze. His heart beating in impossibly rhythm.

“Minnie, you know it’s not like we are about breaking our friendship, right?.” He tried to not knock down Sungmin’s sensitiveness with said that in a gentle tone. As he expected, the boy stiffened his body.

“I know.” He replied with a stern voice. “I know we can’t always together in all moments but….” Sungmin exhaled a heavy sigh as he hold his tears back. He is very sensitive as , to be honest, and these whole things just something he couldn’t bear any longer. Very glad Kyuhyun took the first move to talk.

“I just—“

“I just don’t wanna separate with you too, Minnie….”

And so Sungmin broke into the tears. He sobbed, and Kyuhyun hugged him tightly. He clutched Kyuhyun’s uniform as the latter placed his fingers to Sungmin’s hair.

“Don’t go…. Please, I can’t… if you leave me I just can’t—“ he sobbed again, and crying until he was satisfied erupting all his fear of loosing. After a few minutes of calming himself, Sungmin snuggled his face on the crook of Kyuhyun’s neck, make it soaked.

He released himself and inhaled heavily. Finally able to calm. “I am sorry,” he said. “I’m not supposed to said that. I know, really. We will meet again after finishing our colleges, and if we won’t make it, we are still a bestfriend. Even we’re die. I know. All the anxieties are too distracting my mind. I’m sorry, for both of us.”

“I’m sorry too, then. I am not able to make a lifetime full of our friendship, as what I’ve always said in the past.” Kyuhyun smiled a little, makes the other smile too. He remembered they always did the pinky promise and blabbering about togetherness stuff. Now they are an adult, they have to choose their own way to make each other proud. Even it would take a long time from their life, but once a bestfriend, will be always a bestfriend.

But this moment, Cho Kyuhyun seems like hate the idea. And so did Sungmin.

All of these feelings, were it just a love towards your bestfriend or no?

Kyuhyun already have his answer from his own question from a long long time ago. But Sungmin seems haven’t yet. He was still struggling with the feeling he felt towards Kyuhyun. Was it a love like… a real love?

Sungmin choosed to not to speak it out now. He didn’t know until when he wants to keep it by himself, but now, he was just thinking to spend this little moment with his Kyuhyun under the sunset’s gaze. He found his peace with Kyuhyun today. Well, actually, in every single moment and place.

“It’s getting dark,” Kyuhyun remind Sungmin the time.

“Poorly our Kyuhyunnie is scare with the dark,” Sungmin playfully replied. Kyuhyun was dumbfounded and knocked Sungmin’s forehead. “who told you I’m scared?”

“It’s only six and a half, why so hurry, Hyunnie~” Sungmin whined, not following the other’s gesture who stood up and stretching his body. “One hour, please?” Sungmin Aegyo Attack mode ON, but Kyuhyun was strong. Eighteen years of knowing the aegyo man was enough to make him able to control himself to not obey him anymore.

Kyuhyun shooked his head. “Oh Come on, Kyubear~ half an hour?” Kyuhyun shooked again, though the nickname was a bit distract him.

“Urgh fine! Ten minutes! I beg you, okay?”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and back to sit down beside the latter after grumbling. “What do you want to do here? The sunset has gone, right?”

Sungmin didn’t answer, instead he was in a deep thought of something. Should I say it to him? But what would I say anyway? I couldn’t find the right words to tell him  what I’ve always feel, Sungmin rambled by all his—another—anxiety.

“Hey, Kyu.” His toungue indeed betrayed his brain and mind.

“Yes?” . How do I suppose to continue this?

“I…” he started with a very very low voice. “I… to you…”

Without Sungmin realization, Kyuhyun’s eyes widening. His heart suddenly beats in wild. No way, he thought.

“Actually, I don’t what to say and… how to express this but… uh…” Sungmin is still stammered with his words, while Kyuhyun going even wild. Is Sungmin really about to—

“I think I—“

Kyuhyun cut him out with placing a finger on his lips gently, making the other stopped at sudden. Kyuhyun’s fingers now move to his cheekbone to caress it. “Don’t. Don’t say that, or I probably won’t be able to leave you here,” Kyuhyun said that with a serious tone and intimate gaze hovering the smaller man. Sungmin shivered and he was about to cry again. He was feeling really relieved with what Kyuhyun have said. But then again, the guilty comes.

“I’m sorry. I really am. This is not supposed to be like this,” he said with a head down, not daring to looked up to Kyuhyun.

“And so I am, then. If you want to know, I had betrayed our friendship since God knows how long.” Sungmin had the urge to smiling, but he hold it and keep his head low until Kyuhyun calls his name with very sweet voice. The voice that always made Sungmin feel loved.

“Minnie… let’s meet up again here. When the time has come, I will say the words that I can’t tell you now. Let’s meet up again,” Kyuhyun said as he smiled, and Sungmin realized that Kyuhyun has the best smiling eyes that he ever seen. It made Sungmin smiled too and nodded.

“Yes.”

They let the words held. They pending the confession. They hold all the urges to kiss each other’s lips. The relationship between them is a cliffhanger, to be honest, but as long as they know they are still a bestfirend right now. Together, as they reached their home, until the time that they’ve separated to take their paths, they are walking as a bestfriend. Because after their meet up in the next years later, they know they should have to change the name of their relationship.

 

 

END

A/N: a fail. I tend to insert (doing when you skip a class or about to farewell, on the rooftop, between the shadow of sunset, is just… <3), BUT it turned out to be like this. The end was so rush. I’m sorry. And I was made their friendship image as a strong one, but I made it too obvious too about their feeling towards each other. Just kill me.