Believe Me

Believe Me [ONE-SHOT REQUEST]

 

Goojung sat cross-legged on her bed, holding her cell phone in her right hand.  “So are you busy tomorrow?” she asked the person on the other line.

“Yeah, I am.  Schedule, remember?” was the reply.

Goojung sighed.  She remembered.  Of course she did.  “I know.  I was just hoping… Never mind.  I’ve got to go to bed now.  I love you.” 

“I love you too, baby. 

Sweet dreams!  I’ll try and call you tomorrow night!” 

With a click, she hung up and flopped back onto her pillows.  To spite the cruel world, she thrashed around with a groan, dropping her phone to the floor.  She loved her boyfriend.  She loved him a lot.  So why couldn’t it all be easy?  Why did it have to be a secret?!  She felt the familiar anger clench her heart, but she pushed it back.  As she felt her temper leave, she flicked off her bedside lamp and settled down.  Now all she wanted to do was sleep, hoping tomorrow would bring better times. 

It didn’t.

The next morning, Goojung woke up late, so she rushed through her morning routine and ran out the door for school.  Her best friends, Sohee and Ji Eun were waiting as she reached the front door.  The three girls had been neighbors for as long as they could remember, and from an early age their friendship had blossomed.  These girls knew all about her boy troubles, and they were always ready to lend an ear. 

“Good morning Miss Sunshine!  Don’t you look happy today!” Ji Eun joked, elbowing her friend lightly.

“Yeah.  I woke up late,” Goojung grumbled as she ripped open a granola bar and took a bite. 

“Sorry about that. Dumb alarms!  At least it’s Friday!  That means it’s almost the weekend!” Ji Eun exclaimed. 

“Wooow… Thank you Captain Obvious,” Sohee quipped as she rolled her eyes at the youngest’s bubbly personality.  Only Ji Eun could be this excited this early in the morning.

Goojung and Ji Eun shared a glance before they both burst out, “You’re welcome Sergeant Sarcasm!”   All three girls laughed at their own joke just as the bus arrived.  They jumped on and settled in to their seats. 

“So I was thinking we could have a girl’s night tonight!  You guys could come to my house after school and spend the night,” Sohee suggested, leaning over to make sure her friends heard. 

“Oh sounds like fun!” Ji Eun automatically jumped at the chance. 

“That would be great,” Goojung agreed wholeheartedly.  It would be a much-needed break and a good opportunity to spend some time with the girls. 

“Excellent!  I already told my parents you guys would probably be coming, so we’re all good!  I’ll see you guys after school!”  Sohee finished with a smile as the bus pulled up to their school.  The bus quickly emptied, and Goojung found herself pushed along by the flow of the crowd through the doors and into the building. 

Throughout the entire day, she couldn’t really focus.  She wasn’t alone though, since it was a Friday, a lot of kids were thinking of their plans for the weekend ahead.  At the front of her mind were the plans with the girls.  She was trying hard not to think of her boyfriend’s busy schedule, and how she hadn’t seen him in almost three weeks.  Sure, they were able to talk on the phone, but not half as much as she would have liked.  

“Goojung?  Did you hear what I asked?” her teacher’s voice interrupted her thoughts, and she looked up. 

“Sorry, I guess I wasn’t paying attention,” she responded, bowing her head a little in embarrassment.

“Well let’s fix that, shall we?”   The teacher turned back to the board and continued to teach.  Goojung gave her head a little shake to clear it and tried to focus.   She only had to make it through two more classes.

When the final bell rang, she rushed outside along with the mass of other students, and she searched the crowd for her bus.  Once she found it, she boarded it and waited for Sohee and Ji Eun.  Her friends got on shortly after her, and they immediately began to swap embarrassing stories about the day.  Goojung contributed with the story of being called out in class, and Ji Eun told them about how she had almost walked into the men’s restroom.  Accidentally, of course.  They laughed and giggled at the stories all the way home, where they quickly hopped off and continued to their houses. 

“Come over when you’ve gotten your stuff!”  Sohee called as she entered her house. 

Goojung continued to her room, saying a quick “hi” to her parents and telling them of her plans.  They gave their approval, and she began to throw some pajamas into a bag for the sleepover.  She saw her cellphone, sitting on the carpet where she had dropped it last night.  On a whim, she unlocked it, crossing her fingers for a message from her boyfriend. 

Nothing.

More than a little disappointed, she sighed and threw it into her bag.  Gathering up any other toiletries and miscellaneous items she would need, Goojung slipped the now-full bag over her shoulder and pounded down the stairs and out the door.   While she made the short trip to Sohee’s house, she heard her phone start to ring, muffled because of its current location.  Her heart skipped a beat, and she had to stop in the middle of the sidewalk and dig through her stuff until she found her phone.  She finally landed on it, and she pulled it out to look at the screen.

Her heart fell. 

It was a text from her mom, saying “Have fun and text us when you’re coming home.  Dad and I are going out for lunch tomorrow.”

She tried to shake it off as best she could, and she rang the doorbell at Sohee’s front door with a brave smile in place.  Her friends were both there, and they squealed as they saw her face and pulled her inside.  A few hours of fun later, they were sitting in Sohee’s bedroom, painting their nails and gossiping. 

“So there’s this guy in my History Class,” Sohee began as she shook up a bottle of neon pink nail polish, “And he is so hot.  It’s probably impossible for me to ever have a chance with him, but it is just so fun to stare at him.  His face is just…distracting, you know?”

Ji Eun giggled and agreed.  “I totally get you,” she told her, “Like Jonghyun!  He’s such a player, but, dang¸ he’s attractive…”

Sohee’s head jerked up as if she had just realized something.  “Wait, what are we saying?  One of us actually has a boyfriend here!  And a freaking idol at that!”

Goojung blushed and bit her lip. 

“Yeah!  Goojoo, tell us about Kyuhyun!” Ji Eun squealed, using her pet name for her friend.

“Well, I don’t know what to tell really.  We’ve just been talking on the phone recently, since he can’t see me much,” Goojung replied honestly.

“Hmm…well at least he loves you, right?” Ji Eun shrugged, always the optimist. 

“But what’s it like?  Never getting to see him and stuff?  I’d be so annoyed,” Sohee persisted, making Goojung squirm a little under her gaze.  She was pretty sure her friend knew something was up.

“Well…It is really annoying, actually.  But I can get over it!  I mean, he loves me and I love him.  That’s all that really matters!” Goojung realized, and in her head she started to believe it.  It could be worse.  It could always be worse.

It got worse.

“Well I’m glad you’re okay with it!” Sohee said with a smile.

“Ooh! Guys we should totally look up pictures of Goojung’s boyfriend!” Ji Eun announced, totally fan-girling.

“Haha, okay let’s do it!” Goojung went along with it.  Secretly, she didn’t mind it at all.  Sometimes, when you were dating an idol, you had to find out a lot about their schedules from the internet.  It was a fact of life Goojung had learned to accept.  Well, she was starting to learn to accept it.  She had met Kyuhyun when they were both young, before he was an idol.  She had fallen for him the first time they pulled a prank on his older sister.  They became close friends, and Goojung had supported his dream of becoming an idol fully, even though his father didn’t.  She was even the one who had told him to audition.  When he got in, he was ecstatic.  He immediately became a trainee, and from there, Goojung didn’t see him as much.  But one day, he had showed up at her house with a bouquet of roses and a box of chocolates.  He had told her that he had had a crush on her for years, but he’d always been too nervous.  He had said that finally, he just had to get it out.  She had accepted his confession, and they had begun to date.  When he was added to Super Junior, they had to sit down and have a long talk.  In the end, they had decided to keep dating, and they had both agreed that it was worth a try even though it would be hard.  And hard it was.  But they were still together, so something must be working.

The three girls spent hours searching Kyuhyun pictures on Google and watching Super Junior videos on YouTube.  They giggled and gaped at his iness and at times his cuteness.   But there were a ton of pictures of him with two girls in specific.  Some of them were obviously photoshopped together, but some seemed very realistic. 

“Hey, wait, click on that one!” Goojung demanded, pointing at one of the images.

Ji Eun did as she was told, and the picture filled the screen.  It showed the familiar form of Kyuhyun standing very close together with a beautiful girl. They were smiling and looking up at something.  Jealousy flooded through Goojung at the sight.  The caption read “SeoKyu = perfection”. 

“Who is that?  Is that a couple name?” Sohee finally worked up the courage to ask. 

“I have no idea,” Goojung muttered, still staring at the computer.

“I know who that is!  She’s Seohyun from Girl’s Generation!” Ji Eun said suddenly.

“They look cute together.”  Sohee clapped her hand over as she realized what she had just said.  “Oh my gosh, I’m sorry, I just meant-“

“It’s okay.  Can you search them?” Goojung interrupted. 

Ji Eun looked unsure, but she typed it in anyways.  Hundreds of results came up, showing pictures of them holding hands, with his arm around her.  Goojung was horrified.  Was he cheating on her?  Is that why they never saw each other?  Did he have another girlfriend?  An idol girlfriend? 

“Guys, I have to go,” Goojung burst out.  She stood up and snatched her phone off the table, running out of the room.  As the cool night air hit her face, she continued her sightless flight down the sidewalk towards a certain apartment complex.  She didn’t care if they had had a schedule today; she needed to see Kyuhyun right now. 

Against her will, hot tears worked their way out of her eyes, sliding down her cheeks.  She didn’t slow down.  She just ran at an exhausting pace towards Super Junior’s dorm.  She pushed her way past some paparazzi and crazy fan girls and into the elevator.  Once inside, she gasped for air, her chest heaving.  She felt her heart stick in .  She was so nervous and angry and sad all at the same time. 

The bell dinged, and she rushed out of the elevator and down the hallway to the right apartment.   She raised her hand and knocked furiously, almost pounding on the door.

Donghae answered the door, and he looked at her with surprise evident on his face.  “Hi Goojung.  Are you here for Kyuhyun?” he inquired, still a little shocked at the sight of her, eyes red and tears streaming.

“Can- Can I see him?” she choked out. 

“He’s in his room,” was his reply.   He held the door open and stepped back, allowing her entry.  She brushed past him, not even bothering to acknowledge the rest of the band, who was scattered about the kitchen and the living room. 

She didn’t even knock when she reached his room, she just barged in.  He looked up, startled, as she came in.  He jumped up and enfolded her in a hug before she could speak.  “Goojung!  Baby, what’s wrong?” he asked, his eyes wide and worried.

Goojung tried to calm down, taking deep breaths.  “I saw some pictures,” she started, interrupted by sobs, “Of you and Seohyun.  Kyu, are you cheating on me?”

He didn’t respond, and Goojung felt her heart crack.  Then, he stammered, “Are you kidding?”  Seeing her sate, he continued, “Oh gosh you’re not. Here, sit down.”  He pulled her down onto his bed and faced her.  “Kim Goojung, I am not cheating on you.  There is no way in Heaven or Earth that I would even consider doing that.  I am so, so sorry you thought that.  All this Seohyun crap is just fanservice! I swear it with all my heart.  Please, please believe me,” he pleaded, grasping both of her hands in his and forcing her to stare into his eyes.

Goojung didn’t know how to put her feelings into words.  An incredible feeling of relief settled over her, and she felt a huge weight lift off her shoulders. 

At her silence, he added, “I love you.  No one else.  You.” 

Finally, she managed to whisper, “You mean it?”

“I mean every word,” he told her slowly, enforcing each word.  As if to show her how much he meant it, he placed a finger underneath her chin, tilting it upwards.  He leaned in slowly before pressing his lips to hers.   She felt his arm on her back, pulling her closer, and she slid her hands into his hair as the kiss grew more demanding. 

Goojung felt an indescribable happiness settle in her heart, and she let all her worries flow down the drain as she leaned farther into the kiss. 

He pulled back slightly to smile at her.  “Do you believe me now?” he teased lightly.

She giggled and murmured, “I love you Cho Kyuhyun.”

Putting his forehead on hers, he replied, “I love you more.”

To seal their words, their lips met again, and they both knew that what they’d said was true.  Kyuhyun slid his hands down Goojung’s back, holding her as tight as he could.  He loved this girl, and he had no intention of losing her.  Not now.  Not ever.    

 

Author's Note: So...here it is! Haha, nothing else to say except  enjoy! Comment, subscribe, and/or request! You'll make my day!  :) To sjfangirl, I hope you like it!