The Dragon Tattoo

Babysitting A Badass Gangster

 

Dara’s POV

“Mommy?” I called out to no one in particular, when mom didn’t come back, I started to get anxious. I walked slowly to the door and wrapped my hand around the knob; it creaked as I turned it slowly. Then I remembered what mom said:

“Dara, daddy’s clumsy so I’ll have to go down to help him. Now listen to me, if you don’t, I’m going to be really mad. Stay up here, and whatever you do or hear, don’t come downstairs.”

I hesitated but went back to sit in front of the cake with the box of cranes on my lap. A scream came from downstairs.

“Mommy?” My voice shook and I realized my whole body was shaking.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps up the stairs and panicked when I heard mom’s voice, she slowly entered the room. I gasped at her frail state. Her hair was messed up, she had a black eye, and her lips were bleeding with discolored blotches on her face.

“M-mommy?” I ran into her arms.

“Dara, listen to me well. Hide in your closet and whatever you do, or whatever you hear, do not come out. Cover your mouth if you have to and don’t breathe heavily.” Without giving me time to respond, she opened the closet and pushed me inside. She buried me under a pile of clothing and disappeared behind the sliding doors. A few seconds later, I heard footsteps and my body stiffened. I slowed down my breathing and tried to peak through a small opening. Men in black and white suits broke down the door and went inside.

“Find the girl.” A tiny voice commanded. It sounded too young to belong to any of those men. I shifted my position so I could see a bit better and behind the men, I see a little boy. His hair was short and his bang fell over his left eye, hiding almost half of his face.

“You won’t be able to find her. She’s not here.” My mom insisted with a stern voice.

The kid went up to her and grabbed her hair. “Do you think I’d actually believe you?” He flung my mom to the ground and kicked her in her stomach, she doubled over in pain. I bit my fist to stifle a cry. “Do you think I’d actually leave my daughter here when I knew you were going to come?”

The boy thought it over and snapped his finger. One of the men in black held up his bat and handed it over. “Well then, I’ll just see.” He raised the bat and dealt a heavy blow down on her. She screamed in pain and my stomach twisted in agony. He hit her again and blood came out of mom’s mouth. Her body twitch as her body covered with wounds. The boy held up his bat once again and aimed for her head. I couldn’t take it anymore.

“NO!”

“Bingo.” The boy smirked.

“Dara, no…” I ran over to her and spread my arms out in defense. The boy lowered his bat and bent down to my level. He lifted my chin up and I spat at him in disgust. He swiped my saliva off of his face and glowered at me.

“You .” He raised his bat again and I closed my eyes. I felt a shadow came over me and wrapped her arms protectively around me. I opened my eyes to see my mom protecting me.

“M-mommy.” I raised my arm to her head and felt something warm. “B-blood”

“Served you right.” The boy snickered and walked away. With anger boiling inside of me, I ran after him and held him back. I accidentally yanked his shirt down and looked up to see a fierce dragon tattoo on his bare shoulder.

He smirked and gazed in front of him. My eyes followed stare and my jaw dropped open to see the men carrying my dad. His face was drained of color and he was covered in blood. They threw both of us back in the room together with mom. “Burn the place. Leave no evidence behind.” He looked back and noticed my birthday cake for the first time.

“How sad, your birthday became your funeral.” 

“Bastard.” He smashed my cake and kicked the box of cranes on his way out.

“Start in this room; I want to make sure they burn first.”

I pulled my mom and dad together and hugged them tight. I cried and cried as I witness my cranes and the room lit on fire. Suddenly, I felt a pair of strong arms around me, carrying both me and my mom up. “Daddy.”

“I thought they’d never leave.”

“Daddy, you’re still bleeding.” “Dara, listen to me, make sure you live on happily, and protect your mom, arasso?” With that, he tossed me and mom out the window.

“NO! DADDY!!!”

 We landed on the lilies, my whole body hurt but I didn’t care as hot tears streamed down my face. A few minutes later, a fire truck came and found us. When they helped me and mom lifeless body up, I looked back to see the fire had spread through the whole house and to the garden. Everything erupted in a field full of fire, the beautiful lilies turned into black ash as the fire ate them up. The smoke stung my eyes and everything became blurry. I fell in a deep sleep and dreamt about the dragon tattoo. That night, I swore to live strong so that one day, I’ll find that jerk and showed him I’m alive, and living well, and there's nothing he can do about it. Daddy taught me not to seek for revenge, but when I meet that jerk again, I'll be strong enough to at least beat the crap out of him like he did my daddy and mommy.