Chapter 2

Picking Up The Pieces

 

Kyungsoo sighs. “I just got her to sleep too.”

“Do you need help?” Joonmyun asks, looking at Kyungsoo’s disgruntled face.

“It’s alright, I got it.” Kyungsoo lied. He tried his best to calm Sooyoung down, but she kept crying, and he still hasn’t gotten the door open yet.

“Here.” Joonmyun decides that Kyungsoo needs help whether he’s asking for it or not. He takes the keys from his hands and opens the door to let him in. He takes the bag and the suitcase on the floor and takes them inside, while Kyungsoo is a little flabbergasted at the kindness he was showing. He snapped out of it as Sooyoung’s cries were getting a little louder.

“There there.” Kyungsoo said trying to calm her down as he rocked her gently. However, she still hasn’t settled down.

“Let me try?” Joonmyun offered.

Kyungsoo was hesitant in letting him hold her because he was a stranger and they had just met so in Kyungsoo’s mind, that raised a red flag. However, Joonmyun seemed nice enough and he was certainly being helpful now. He cautiously handed over his crying child to the stranger.

And if it was like magic, she stopped crying when Joonmyun took her into his arms. She started giggling and smiling as he played with her.

“You are magic.” Kyungsoo says sighing in relief.

Joonmyun chuckles a bit. “I’m just good with kids.”

Chanyeol and Kris walk into the apartment looking in on the scene.

“Hey Kyungsoo—Oh, Mr. Kim!” Chanyeol said in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

“Chanyeol, I’m only 5 years older than you. You can call me hyung. And it looked like Kyungsoo here needed some help.” He said happily rocking Sooyoung in his arms.

“He’s really good with her.” Kris says as he coos over the little girl.

Kyungsoo silently agrees. Whenever she’s not sleeping, Sooyoung continuously cries and it takes Kyungsoo a long time to get her calm again and when Joonmyun holds her, she stops crying. He was dumbfounded on how he is able to do that.

“Oh!” Chanyeol says speaking up. “I can’t watch Sooyoung tomorrow. I have to go meet some clients.”

“I can watch her for you.” Joonmyun offers bouncing her up and down.

“Oh, it’s quite alright. I’ve been given a few days off to get settled in.”

Joonmyun smiles and hands Sooyoung back to Kyungsoo. “Well if you need me, I live just next door. Nice to meet you.” He says walking out the door.

“Well that was strange.” Chanyeol says sitting down on the couch.

“What was?” Kyungsoo asked carrying Sooyoung over to the couch also.

“Joonmyun coming over.” Kris says. “We’ve seen him a few time but has never really interacted with him.”

“I think that’s the longest conversation we’ve ever had with him.” Chanyeol added.

Kyungsoo shrugs. “He seems nice.” Kris and Chanyeol hum in agreement. “Oh! I still have stuff downstairs.”  He hands Sooyoung over to Chanyeol. “Can you help me Kris?”

Kris agrees and they go get the rest of Kyungsoo’s belongings.

Chanyeol cradles Sooyoung in his arms. “Aren’t you so precious!” She giggles as he tickles her stomach. “You know, when your appa eventually makes me your god father, I’m going to spoil you.” She giggles as she tries to play with his hand.

----

It’s only been 2 weeks since Kyungsoo has taken Sooyoung home and for some reason he’s just anxious and nervous with everything he does with her. He doesn’t think the infinite amount of parenting books he has read has actually prepared him to take care of Sooyoung, especially alone.

He’s prepared her baby formula wrong twice and she started crying when he tried to feed her. He hasn’t gotten a baby tub yet, so he’s resorted to washing her in the kitchen sink where she almost slipped from his hands. Let’s not forget changing her diapers. It took him half an hour to change her first diaper and had to deal with the cries that came along with it. The worst thing was trying to get her to sleep. Thankfully they were able to soundproof the room Kyungsoo and Sooyoung slept so they didn’t have to bother Chanyeol and Kris. But getting her to sleep took half the night, and the other half had her crying.

Slowly but surely, he was getting the hang of being able to take care of Sooyoung, and it sure as hell wasn’t easy, but he was trying. Trying for her.

Today was especially hard because she hasn’t stop crying ever since she woke up. He’s tried feeding her, changing her diaper, giving her a bath, and letting her play with her favorite toy, but it didn’t seem like anything was working.

There comes a knock at the door, which caused her to cry out even louder. He carries her in his arms as he goes over to open it. To his surprise, he finds Joonmyun standing at the doorway. “Oh. Hello.” Kyungsoo said bouncing Sooyoung up and down trying to calm her.

“I heard the crying for a while and wondered if… you’d like any help?”

Kyungsoo looks hesitantly between his daughter and Joonmyun. “Uhm. I suppose so.” He lets Joonmyun cradle her and the moment she enters his arms, she immediately stops crying and starts giggling as he plays with her. “I seriously don’t know how you do that.”

Joonmyun chuckles a little as he bounces her up and down. “I have a little brother and I used to have to take care of him when I was younger. Maybe I just have a gentle touch.”

Kyungsoo flops down on the couch and groans in relief. “I haven’t gotten her quite since last night. You are seriously a lifesaver.”

“You just have to get used to carrying her and develop that gentle touch.” Joonmyun says playing with her hands. “But that’s what the mom is for right?”

Kyungsoo got really silent after that.

“I’m sorry did I say something wrong?”

“No it’s just…”  Of course Kyungsoo’s mind went straight to thoughts of Jessica. He really hasn’t had the time to process her leaving or that she was really gone due to the fact that all his attention has been on Sooyoung. The thoughts of her come flooding back into his mind and all of it overwhelms him. He really is alone in this.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Joonmyun asks.

Kyungsoo doesn’t even realize that tears are escaping until Joonmyun wipes them away. He flinches at the touch and wipes them away himself. “Sorry. I was just thinking of…her mom.” Sooyoung starts to cry again as if she senses something wrong. Joonmyun hands her back over to Kyungsoo and surprisingly she settles down a bit. “She left me and Sooyoung. She just left after she was born. No reason, no goodbye, just a note that says I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo sighs as he lets Sooyoung grasp his finger. “So now it’s just us.” He says smiling down at his little girl.

“At least you’re not alone.”  Joonmyun says. “You have Chanyeol and Kris and well, my offer to help still stands.”

Kyungsoo smiles and thanks him.

----

Kyungsoo worries that Chanyeol isn’t fit enough to watch over Sooyoung, even though he argues otherwise, but instead he is leaving Sooyoung with Joonmyun more and more. Although, it feels like he is missing out on Sooyoung growing up. In the day, he works as a barista on a small café and then at night, he works as a waiter and both jobs hardly give him enough to pay for everything.

Until suddenly he got a call from a very important company for a job opening as a secretary, which pays more than both of his current jobs combined. Upon further inspection, he quickly found out that someone had recommended him the job. Considering he was a high school dropout, that made more sense.

“It was you wasn’t it?” Kyungsoo says as he settles down from his first day of work.

“What are you talking about?”  Joonmyun asks playing with Sooyoung on the floor.

“You’re the one who recommended me for the job.”

“Uhm… well…” Joonmyun hesitated a bit.

“You didn’t have to do that. But thanks.” Kyungsoo says happily.

“But Kyungsoo—“

“Anyway, how was Sooyoung today? Was my baby a good little girl?” Kyungsoo says picking her up. It’s been a few months and she has gotten used to him and doesn’t cry every second of the day and actually calms down when he holds her. She giggles as he picks her up.

“She was great.” Joonmyun says in response. 

“You know, if there’s anything I could do to make it up to you for watching Sooyoung so often—“

“Oh no, don’t worry about it.” Joonmyun says.

“But—“

Joonmyun chuckles a bit “I offer to help you, so you really don’t have to make it up to me.”

“Alright…” Kyungsoo says reluctantly.

----

Somehow, Joonmyun became a regular in Kyungsoo’s and Sooyoung’s life, and has made it a lot easier than it’s ever been. Kyungsoo would even go as far to that Joonmyun has become a better friend to him than Chanyeol has. Joonmyun would always be willing to take care of Sooyoung and watch her when Kyungsoo needed to work, or needed groceries or anything like that: Joonmyun was there. He was even there when Kyungsoo was crying or saddened about being a single father. He knew exactly what to do and say to cheer him up.

Joonmyun was becoming someone of importance in Kyungsoo’s life.

He didn’t seem to mind. Joonmyun was nice to have around.



 

 

A/N: SORRY FOR THE LATE AND SLOW UPDATES.... I'm sorry :( Really sorry. This is still like a lot of introductionary part and stuff omfg i'm so slow. Sorry sorry sorry :(

Anyways I hope you guys don't forget about me~ I'll try to update more! And hopefully my chapters can come back! Ugh short chapter . Ugh. :( Sorry....