Chapter 1

Picking Up The Pieces

I’m sorry.

Those two words send his world come crashing down. Even worse, they’re written on a note. A note left on the hospital bed where his girlfriend is supposed to be; his girlfriend and the mother of his newborn child.

Six and a half pounds, and 16 and 3/4th inches. That’s how big Kyungsoo’s new born child is as he holds her sitting on the bed in disbelief. At the adolescent age of 18, he doesn’t think he’s ready to become a single father.  His parents kicked him out, he dropped out of school, and he’s taken on two jobs in the belief that they were going to start a family together. But now, everything is falling apart and he doesn’t know if he can keep it together.

The tiny angel stirs in his arms and distracts his mind of all of those problems. He smiles down at her as she uses her entire hand to grasp his finger as she soundly sleeps. He has to at least try for this little girl. His little girl. His Sooyoung.

He sits and watches her through the observation window as she sleeps in the nursery that night and can’t help but to think about his ex—no—his girlfriend. They technically haven’t broken up yet.

It was little under a year ago when they met. His ex best friend, Kai, decided that he was too much of a wallflower and needed to get out more. Somehow he convinced Kyungsoo to go to a club, when they weren’t even old enough, but Kai had connections and so with fake ids and a few bucks, they were able to get in and get drinks.

And that’s when he met Jessica.

Jessica Jung: the epitome of beauty in Kyungsoo’s eyes. Hair like silk, skin milky white, eyes piercing, yet soft and a smile that can melt you. If Kyungsoo ever knew love at first sight, it was then.              

Kai was actually the one who spotted her first and tried to put his moves on her while Kyungsoo was watching from afar. He could tell she was uninterested in what Kai was saying because her eyes were darting around the room, looking anywhere but at Kai.

Somehow, her eyes locked onto Kyungsoo’s and she gave a small smile, you know, those ones where the corners of the lips only slightly curve up, giving the definition of a smile, but not too much too seem over excited. She left Kai and walked over in Kyungsoo’s direction like she was strutting down a runway. “Hi” was all it took to leave him breathless. She introduced herself and Kyungsoo fumbled over his name.

Kai was soon to interrupt the two with ramblings such as, ‘You’re choosing him over me?’ and ‘I’m hotter, taller, and ier than him!’ and also ‘He’s not as much of a man as I am!’ Needless to say, they weren’t the best of friends any longer.

Kyungsoo and Jessica talked, danced, and drank together for the entire night and at the end of it, they were making out in the back of the club behind a pillar. Why a catch like her would want anyone like Kyungsoo was a mystery, but he didn’t complain.  She didn’t either.

That’s until she found out that he was four years younger than him, courtesy of Kai of course.

After that, it took Kyungsoo quite a bit of work to get her to talk to him again. For about a week, he practically begged Jessica to go on a date with him. After the 10th attempt, she had finally agreed. Kyungsoo had assumed she agreed because of pity, but he didn’t care, he just got a chance with her. He did something right on that date because they were soon going out.

A few months later, Kyungsoo could tell Jessica was acting a little weird when they were hanging out at her place. He soon found the source of the weirdness when he found a pregnancy test in the bathroom trashcan with a plus sign on it.

There was a little panic at first, but once that went away, he was thrilled. Even though he knew that being a teenage father was going to be hard, he was going to try his best for Jessica and the baby.

He never really asked how Jessica felt about having a baby, he just kind of hugged her and excitedly told her that he couldn’t wait for him or her. She warily smiled; something he didn’t notice.

Kyungsoo dropped out of school the day after he found out to get jobs. Once he told his parents, they furiously kicked him out so he went to go live with Jessica in her one bedroom apartment. So for nine months, they were preparing for the baby and Kyungsoo was trying to save enough to support his new family.

Everything was going great. Until she left.

Kyungsoo’s mind was brought back to the present as he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turns around to see a familiar face, something he needs right about now. “Chanyeol.”

“What’s wrong?” He asks catching a glimpse of the puffy red eyes and the tear stained cheeks.

Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything but flings himself into Chanyeol’s arms and cries into his shoulder. “She left me.”

After a while of calming him back down, Kyungsoo explains what happens and Chanyeol is there to comfort him along with Kris, who Kyungsoo had barely noticed earlier.

“What are you going to do now?” Chanyeol asks.

It was something Kyungsoo hadn’t really thought about, but it was something that needed attending to. What was going to be his next step? Hopefully it was going to be a step in the right direction because he can’t handle his life falling apart and not being able to pick up the pieces. “Well, I have to bring Sooyoung home soon, but I need to keep working, I can’t leave her alone.”

 Chanyeol claps his hand in an epiphany. “Why don’t you move in with us?”

Both Kris and Kyungsoo look up in surprise.

“Chanyeol…”

“I can’t just invade in on you guys, especially with a baby.” Kyungsoo says trying to be polite.

“Nonsense. We basically have an extra bedroom considering me and Kris sleep in the same bedroom anyways.” That earned a blush from Kris. “We can set up a rent payment, we can soundproof the walls, and we can baby proof the apartment. Plus, I can take care of her while you’re at work, since I work at home anyway.”

“Chanyeol…” Kris tried to whine.

“Don’t you dare say anything. Kyungsoo is my best friend and he is in need of help. This is the least I can do for him.” Chanyeol threatened.

“This is nice of you Chanyeol, but I can’t interfere in your lives like that. Especially when Kris isn’t okay with it.”

Chanyeol gives Kris a glare, making him sigh in defeat. “It’s alright Kyungsoo. We’d be happy to have you live with us.” Chanyeol rewards him with a peck on the lips.

“Great!” Kyungsoo says. “But if you could, keep the PDA down to a minimum.”

“What? Two guys kissing gross you out?” Chanyeol snickered.

“No, you gross me out.” Kyungsoo said jokingly, earning a laugh from Kris also.

Chanyeol looks at the baby from the window. “You know, she looks like you.”

Kyungsoo hums in response, but he can’t help but see Jessica in all her features.

----

Kyungsoo brought Sooyoung home for the first time. He opened the door to his and Jessica’s apartment. Not much has changed since he’s been staying at the hospital with his baby. He sets her down in the crib in the middle of the living room and goes to inspect the bedroom.

It’s what he expected. Drawers of her clothes are gone and personal belongings gone. There was no trace left of her. He smiles bitterly as he recalls memories he and Jessica have shared in the room.

He decides that he needs to start packing, call the landlady to terminate the lease, and a whole bunch of other things before he moves out. However, his thoughts are interrupted by Sooyoung’s cries coming from the living room.

He rushes to pick her up and tries to settle her down. Looks like all those things were going to have to wait for now.

----

Kyungsoo was fumbling with the key’s Chanyeol gave to him so that he could move in. He hadn’t had time to get a stroller for Sooyoung so he was holding her in one arm and trying to open the door with the other. He couldn’t get the key in and ended up dropping them on the floor. It was like the world was saying that his life so much that he couldn’t get a key in the keyhole.

He was going to bend down and pick it up until a hand reached out and grabbed it first.

“Here.” Kyungsoo followed his eyes up to the body attached to the hand holding his keys. “Looks like you could use some help.”

Kyungsoo graciously took the keys back. “Thanks.”

“No problem. I didn’t know the old tenants moved out.”

“Oh, they didn’t. I’m just moving in.”

“I suppose that makes us neighbors then.”

“I suppose so.” Kyungsoo says with a slight chuckle.

“I’m Joonmyun.”

“Nice to meet you.” Kyungsoo shifts Sooyoung a little, causing her to wake up from her slumber. She flutters her eyes open and starts to turn on the waterworks. 

 


 

A/N: Omg. It's been so long since I've updated. Did you guys miss me? Haha I'm sure there were better stories y'all could read :P

Still waiting kind of patiently for my other chapters to return. I have the 2 final chapters for 'Wandering' (If you guys even read it lol, it was like gone the next day ._____.) And one chapter for the chasers and another one in the works. 

Sorry this is so short. I honestly didn't know waht to put in this chapter. It was more of an introduction so yeah. Sorry it's kind of crappy. 

Anyway, Thanks to all the subscribers already subscribed! Thanks!! Comment and tell me what you think?

P.s. - I never can decide whether to call Suho, Suho or Joonmyun. Help me decide!