From Afar

From Afar

 

What Jonghyun had been doing, most would consider disturbing, borderline obsessive. However, Jonghyun didn’t care. He had stopped caring the moment he had laid eyes on her. She, with her silky brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, breath-taking smile, and voice like candy for the ears. She, who had managed to stop Jonghyun in his tracks, capture his heart, and run off with it in a single glance. She, who Jonghyun had never spoken more than a few words to. It was she, Kim Gwiboon, who had made this seem alright.

Because of this, there he sat, nestled quietly in a small booth near the back of the café, pretending to tune his guitar. His eyes, not once focusing on the guitar in his hands, were following the waitress closely. His heart warmed when Gwiboon flashed a brilliant smile at a young boy, ruffling his hair as she handed him his meal. A smile tugged on his lips as she scowled at yet another man who had tried to make a pass at her. He watched closely as a delicate hand reached up to brush a strand of hair out of her face, making her eyes more visible. Everything about her excited him to no end. And yet, he could not bring himself to talk to her.

He had tried a few times, each to no avail. He would fumble over words, forget what he was going to say, or utter something completely unintelligible, thus embarrassing himself. The only words he had been successfully able to get out were “Yes” and “No”.

On those rare occasions that they did interact, Gwiboon did most of the talking. She’d always greet him with the same walk smile and say “I’m guessing tea. Am I right?” to which Jonghyun would dumbly respond with a yes. Off she’d go to brew the tea (Jonghyun’s eyes would follow the slight sway of her hips as she walked, though he’d never admit to it), and moments later she’d return. A freshly brewed cup of coffee would be set in from of him, along with a blueberry muffin, which she had always stated to be “on the house, since I know they’re your favorite”. With one last smile, she’d be off to cater to other customers, leaving Jonghyun awestruck and amazed.

He often wondered how in those few short moments spent together Gwiboon had managed to retain such information. She knew what he always ordered, she knew how he liked his tea (“Here you go, one cup of tea. Sorry for the wait. I know you like it slightly bitter, so I let it steep a little longer.”), and she knew of his taste for blueberry muffins. This led him to think of such things as, “Does she think about me as much as I do about her?”. This gave him hope. It made the idea that somehow, someday, fate would work in his favor and allow them to be together, seem more believable.

But for now, he was alone, in a corner, wishing for something he had no courage to change.