Let the Games Begin

Picture Perfect

Your first day of school went by surprising well.

 

Hyoseung was always there when you needed her, your classes ran along rather smoothly, and you even managed to avoid B.A.P. That's right. You didn't get mauled by Mr. Purple. It's not that you were scared of any of them though, oh no. You weren't the type to be intimidated by a bunch of school jerks. But still, you didn't want any trouble, especially on the first day.

 

When you finally got out of school, the sun was setting, and the sky was a dull orange. You picked up the pace and headed towards your sister's elementary school.

 

Several minutes later, you were at the front entrance, and having spotted you, Jungmin ran out and jumped into your arms. "Unnie! I missed you~" You gave her head a gentle rub. "Missed ya too kiddo. Did you have fun today?" Jungmin looked up at you with her eyes sparkling. "Yeah! I made a ton of new friends already, and the teacher was really pretty and nice!" You laughed at your sister's enthusiasm.

 

Hand in hand, you both started to walk to your apartment. You could have taken the bus, but you didn't want to bother the other passengers with Jungmin's enthusiastic talk of her 'awesomely awesome' first day.

 

When Jungmin finally ran out of things to say, you both found yourselves at the apartment and greeted by none other than Granny. "Hello Jungah~ You're home rather early for a high schooler."

 

"Neh," You smiled scratched the back of your head. "I don't feel comfortable with Jungmin coming home by herself, so I got permission from my teacher to get out early."

 

Granny's eyes widened. "Good heavens! Then Jungmin was at her school this late in the hour?" Jungmin nodded. Granny then scratched her chin and thought for a moment. "Is there something wrong?" you asked. "How about I pick little Jungmin up for you dear?" she suggested, surprising you. "Neh?! Oh no no no, we don't want do be a burden." Granny smiled, "Oh don't worry about it dear it's no problem at all~ She can even stay over at my place when you're at work on the weekends, if that is what your planning to do."

 

You thought about it. "Yes...but-" "No buts dear, I said you could come to me for anything remember?" You sighed and looked down at your sister. "Jungmin-ah, are you okay with this?" She smiled and nodded. You looked up at Granny. "Then.....if it's not too much trouble...." Granny shook her head. "Don't worry dear, it's nice to have company over anyways." You bowed 90 degrees. "Gamsahamnida!" She chuckled. "Up you go then dear, I'll see you tomorrow then sweetie~" "Bye Granny~!" Your sister waved.

 

Once you were inside your home you turned to your sister. "You sure you're okay with this honey?" She nodded. "Yep! I like Granny! And you won't need to worry about me all that much so it's good!" You smiled. "If you say so."

 

You then both ate a simple dinner, washed up, set up the blankets, and lied down to sleep.

 

Your sister suddenly turned after a few minutes of silence and looked at you. "Unnie, are you going to look for a job tomorrow?" You sighed and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Yes, unfortunately." She nodded to herself, and turned back to look up at the ceiling. "Hope it goes well unnie." You chuckled and copied her. "Don't worry Jungmin! It's going to be perfectly fine."

 

~~*~~

 

No. It was not perfectly fine.

 

You've visited every coffee shop and restaurant around the neighborhood since sun rise, and none of the places were in need of an employee at the moment. You were frustrated, sweaty, and about the punch the next person who dared to turn you down. 'This is getting nowhere.' you thought. Just before you were about to give up, you decided you try the convenience store that was few blocks down. 'Please let me work, please let me work.'

 

With a jingle, you opened the door and let yourself in. At the counter was a man in his late forties, looking as grumpy as you were. You gulped, put on a smile, and approached the counter.

 

"Umm, annyeonghaseyo, I'm looking for a jo-"

 

"You're hired."

 

You blinked. "...Excuse me?" The man rolled his eyes. "Didn't you hear me? I said you're hired." You stood there dumfounded.

 

"Umm gamsahamnida...so...when do I-" He cut you off and threw a green vest at your face. "Here's your uniform. You start right now, you will receive what I pay you, don't complain, and call me at 10." He then stretched, mumbled to himself, and left through the back door. You stood there frozen on the spot with your mouth open for a while. 'What....the....hell?'

 

After recovering, you put on the vest and stood behind the counter. While you were on duty, a lot of customers came and went. Most were polite, but quite a few were drunk, erts, or just plain rude. Both your physical and mental energy were sapped away in a matter of hours. Just as a migraine was starting to form. The bell jingled, and another customer came in through the door.

 

"Welcome~" You bowed and then looked up to greet the customer. Oh, you soon regretted doing that.

 

In front of you was none other than Mr. Purple, Bang Yongguk. Wow. You did not expect that. You stood there, frozen. Neither of you tore your gaze away from each other. Then, Yongguk finally opened his mouth. "Yah."

 

You took a deep breath. "Yes? Can I help you?" He raised his brow. "You're that new kid I saw yesterday aren't ya?" 'Don't look away.' You thought. "If I am?" He smirked. "You work at a crappy place like this? What, no one will take you anywhere else?" 'That punk.' you thought.

 

He then walked up to the counter. "Well, this is going to be fun." You glared at him. 'What is?" He chuckled, grabbed a lollipop, and stuck it in his mouth. "Everything. Just know you're going to have one hell of a year babe." You almost slapped him at that, but before you could protest he turned and started to walk out the store.

 

"Hey! You need to pay for that!" He lazily turned and smirked. "Hey, I'm a fellow schoolmate, this kind of stuff you can let it slide right?"

 

"Mwoh?! YAH!!" You yelled, but he was already out the door.

 

That migraine came back and hit you like a ton of bricks. It was decided.

 

You hated that .

 

--

Yay update!

Random Tip!: In Korea, high school students have night time self study sessions till 9pm or even later. (We get out at 11 ㅠㅠ)

Jungah leaves school just before that so the sun is just about to set. :P

Okay, that's it for random Korean culture lesson of the day. lol

 

Here's a Yongguk for ya!

Peace!