New Canvas

Picture Perfect

You stared mindlessly at the passing scenery and let out a big sigh.

 

You've had moved several times before but for some reason, your heart felt heavier than ever. You turned to your left to look down at your sister. Jungmin, your only remaining family, was sleeping peacefully against your shoulder. At the sight you sighed again and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. You thought about how hard it must be for her, constantly moving from place to place with your changing income. The apartment you were heading to this time would be half the size of your previous one. 'I'm sorry, I swear this will be the last time sweetheart.' you sadly thought.

 

As if she'd heard you, Jungmin started to stir awake from her little nap.

She yawned and rubbed her eyes. "Are we there yet unnie?"

"Yeah we're almost there, just a few more minutes and we can get off this bus ok?" you said, patting her head.

 

A few stops later, you arrived at your destination. You grabbed your sister's hand with one hand, scooped up your belongings in the other and stepped off the bus.

"Come on Jungmin, this way."

Hand in hand you both slowly walked towards what would become your new home. "What's it gonna be like unnie?" Jungmin looked up as she bounced and down.

You chuckled at her enthusiasm. "I'm not sure, but let's not anticipate too much."

 

After a few minutes of walking, the two of you were standing in front of an old apartment building. Actually it didn't even look like an apartment at all. It stretched out horizontally and was only two stories high, resembling an abandoned inn more than anything else. The stairs were rusted, the once white walls were turning grey, and questionable plants crawled up the side of the building.

"Hmm I imagined it...less creepy." You said with a small shrug.

"Creepy." your sister giggled.

 

 

Just then, an old lady came out from one of the rooms on the second floor, and smiled down at the two of you. "You must be Jungah correct?"

You straightened. "Neh, I called about a room for two?"

"Oh good! Come on up here miss! I'll show you your room~" she said with a friendly gesture.

"Kamsahamnida~" You replied back, and started up the stairs.

As you climbed up, the stairs made a dreadful creak with each step you took.

Both you and your sister cringed.

"Oh you'll get used to that dear." The old lady chuckled.

She then led you to a door marked 204 and handed you a small rusted key.

"This is it ladies. It's not much, but I do hope you'll find it pleasant."

Taking the small key, you politely gave a little bow. "Neh kamsahamnida."

"Also, I'm right down the corridor at the end of the hall so come by anytime when you need anything okay dear?" She said. "Oh, and I'm Hyunok by the way, but you can call me granny~"

Your sister beamed. "Ok granny! See you next time!"

Granny chuckled and waddled towards her own room.

"I like her!" Jungmin grinned up at you.

"I think I do too." You laughed.

 

You stuck the key into the door. It took a few tries and a strong push, but it opened in the end. Your sister happily bounded into the small apartment.

"Unnie! This place is so small! It's like a fairy house!"

You smiled at that. "Yeah Jungmin, it is."

You took a step into your new home, put your bags down and scanned the place. Your sister was right, the place was tiny. There was a living room with a petite couch and an ancient looking tv set, a small kitchen with a dining table for two, one bathroom, and one bedroom.

'I guess this will have to do.' you thought as you walked into the bedroom to unpack.

 

Your sister was already waiting for you inside lying flat on her back, waving her arms and legs as if she was making a snow angel. "I like it here. It's cozy."

You paused, and gently sat down next to her. ".....Gomawo Jungmin-ah."

"For what?" She looked up at you with her doe-like eyes.

"Just...everything." you quietly said to her. You really had to repay her someday. She handled the situation so maturely and you were sorry this was all you could provide. She deserved so much better.

Jungmin smiled. "It's ok unnie, we'll get through this right?"

At that you almost broke down, but you kept it in. Then you quickly sniffed, wiped away a barely formed tear, and smiled down at the angel.

 

"Yeah....we'll get through this."

 

 

--

Ok First chapter!

Nothing really interesting on this one, just setting the mood and stuff teehee.

Bang will appear on the next one I promise ya.

Until then, don't be afraid to comment and subscribe~

Peace.