forty-eight.

We Just Couldn't Have It All© : Book 1

 

We pledge this promise

Just for the person we so love the most

Hoping that she could be happier

With this resolve

 

His Resolve

Sehun sunk his face on his desk. He looked at the wall clock, and saw the hands ticking fast. Time too was moving past. There was nothing to do inside the house as it felt truly wide right now. His hyung was out to have some amends on the sunbaes he got involved with. His parents were negotiating at the school. Well, he wasn’t alone. Krystal’s family was called and asked to have an appointment with the principal. Kai’s mom flew back to Seoul just to have a talk with the school as well. It truly created a big mess, and now Sehun was not ready to attend class on Monday. He got frightened by the thought of not participating on his dream competition. He got too scared to see Krystal’s worried face.

As he was troubled by those thoughts, his phone rang loudly.  It was loud enough to catch his attention and annoy him. It was a call from Kai. He didn’t bother to think twice, but to respond to his call.

“Hello?” He hurriedly said, blinking.

“Can we talk?” Kai’s voice looked vague and different when on phone. It must’ve been that Sehun was not really familiar with him.

“What’s up?” Sehun scowled. He didn’t want this conversation to progress.

“What did that sunbae say to you? It was enough to beat him to death.”

Sehun closed his eyes, as he remembered the flashes of memories.

“Was it a big deal?” Kai retorted, enough for Sehun’s forehead to crease.

“Let’s meet up. I think you’d understand.”

“I know that this is about Krystal.” Kai uttered under his breath, hanging up. “Let’s just go to the school right now. I know we’re not allowed, but it’s just a meeting place.”

“Call.” Sehun hanged up. He got himself fixed and ready. He didn’t utter any word but silence. He was not ready to see the school right now. But, he knew that Kai could help. Somewhere inside his heart, he knew that his nature was of a warm-hearted species that wouldn’t let someone down. He would offer help, somehow.

Sehun hailed a taxi as he privately went his own way just to go and meet him up.

He saw the figure of Kai, lurking around. He was walking back and forth, biting his thumb.

Sehun looked at him, questioningly. He must’ve had been standing there for a considerable amount of time. He was ready if Kai would punch him; curse him or anything of that sort.

 Once Kai met Sehun’s eyes, he smiled softly and waved at him. This left Sehun to the point that he would waver if he’s truly a charismatic type of person. If he would show that side to any girls, he probably would have them all.

But, he was smart to not do that. It was the same face he would show if Krystal looked happy.

There were times when Sehun would go to Krystal’s and asked him about random stuffs. Krystal would smile widely at him, and offered him a seat next to her. He felt relieved when Krystal’s smile.

But, it was not as much as Kai. He would feel like he was truly making a great deal out of it. He looked at them like they were a match made to be together by the hands of fate.

He could’ve guessed but now, it was even more apparent. Kai was truly happy, handing Krystal out to Sehun. Even if it meant that, he would lose all the chances and opportunities to get Krystal for himself.

“I’ve waiting here.” Kai jested. “Let’s have a talk.”

They went to the bus stop. Sehun was led by him to nowhere. And, there he found that Kai and he were going to Kai’s noona’s shop. He found himself getting played by him. But, it must’ve been something important and urgent.

“Why do you have to go through these ways just to talk?”

“…” Kai didn’t respond, he led Sehun at the second floor. There was a quiet space for a talk.

“So..” Sehun sat at a comfy sofa. He looked straight at Kai.

Kai was shoving the curtains away, for the sun to welcome them.

“I’ve heard of you conversation with Taemin-hyung.” Their eyes met.

Sehun blinked, and tried to avoid his gaze. “So, you knew it?”

“With you looking tensed up, I just knew it when I saw the two of you parting ways.” Kai smirked; his sixth sense was kicking off.

“Why didn’t you try to stop us?”

“I just knew it…that you could be a good person for Krystal. But, I tried to release all of my past already. I wanted to know if I’m ready, so I tried to go back to the province. I was scolded there.” He smiled again, he tried to sit on his sister’s desk. He tried to play safe.

“It looked like you found your resolve?” Sehun looked at the floorboards, afraid of what his resolve was.

“Yeah…I’m afraid not. When I came back, I saw that the two of you shared a kiss.”

Sehun bolted upright, “YOU WERE THERE?!” He was alarmed.

Kai tried to keep him calm, “Go back to your seat. It was not something planned out. “ Kai made a face. Deep inside, he was scarred. He couldn’t picture it anymore, and tried to snap out of trance. He was not ready for everything, for him it was just the start.

He came to know that Sehun and Krystal were keeping it a secret to everyone. He often asked why it was needed, since no one could stand it their way even if it was known. But, his feelings softened even more. He was continuously observing Krystal. He looked at her face, and he knew that he found her love. Every girl was dreaming of that happy love story, but only he was giving cold shoulders.

He decided to accept that fact that Krystal could be happier on Sehun’s arms, and not his. He thought that he couldn’t really have her.

He silently leaned on his seat, quietly admiring the view outside. “So…you could be suspended or even more, expelled if you wouldn’t let me know what was truly going on. I could offer help.”

“Help?” Sehun liked the idea, but he didn’t know if there are consequences. “Continue…”

Kai smirked, thinking that he knew there was something to be said. “In exchange…” He paused, and heaved out a sigh. “…in exchange of Krystal’s happiness.”

“WHAT?!” Sehun’s eyes grew wide, his mouth agape. He couldn’t speak out his feelings.  “Only that…”

“Sehun, I would be willing to take all the blame. Let alone; let everyone who were involved keep a silent mouth about the topic. You could still be Krystal’s lover and her boyfriend, as well as, you could join that dream competition of yours.”

“Why go to that extent…?”

“I wanted to take legal actions. I wouldn’t want our parents to get involve further, as well. If I was the one who would leave then no one could get hurt, especially Krystal. But, on contrary, she knew everything, and she might let her parents do some actions just to keep everything at bay.”

“You’re thinking this through… what’s truly up on your sleeves?”

“I wanted to migrate in America.” Kai looked solemn, his face couldn’t be painted. “I would be leaving so why not leave something that everyone could remember, even if it was bad?”

“Are you out of your mind?” Sehun snapped out of it.

Clearly, right now, Kai wasn’t getting it. He didn’t know the meaning of Krystal’s smiles. He didn’t know how Krystal was being nominated for the Oscar’s right now. She was trying her best, to get over him. Even if Sehun would be used as a screen, he was ready for everything. He was protecting her, from getting hurt further. Krystal was scared, that she would get rejected again. So, Sehun was being her bodyguard that would do anything.

Yet, Kai was the one who could have found his resolve to protect her as well. But, not as a shadow lurking around Krystal’s back, but Sehun wanted Kai to open his eyes. To open it meant that he would see how much Krystal was struggling to find the words needed and the actions to be taken to forget.

Sehun managed to be serious, yet tears were coming. “I love her so much…that I beat that guy up.”

“What did he say?” Kai felt relieved, that Sehun was opening up to him.

Sehun began to remember the devil’s whispers on his ear. He felt like his mind got polluted, and tried to be inconsiderate for once.

I heard from Luhan that the two of you are dating. Is she good at spreading her legs? Could I take her for a night? Just to feel…her, you know, moans.

Kai laughed. “Hmn, I could have done the worse between the two of us.”

“Why are you just laughing it off?”

Sehun didn’t notice. Kai was biting his lips, clenching his fists and trembling. His whole temple was aching just for that simple words that sunbae said to Sehun. He was ready to take it on, he was ready to take the responsibility.

“Take the offer, Sehun…”

“No, I would NOT.”

“Then, would you want Krystal to cry? Knowing that she was the reason behind all these? Knowing that you would go to that tennis competition because of her? I thought you love her, then don’t make her worry. I’ve got plans.”

“And, after all these…?”

“I would disappear from all of your lives.”

Sehun felt the emptiness creeping in. He was not going to send him away, but he was the one who volunteered it. But, most of all, he should fulfill the part of Kai's plan.

“Then, I’d take your offer.”

It was a decision between men in love with the same person and that; they knew that all of them could take the responsibilities coming far worse than that.