Chapter 4

49 Days

 

“Well well. I found Hangeng's little 49 days traveler.”

 

Heechul just stared at the man who stood in front of the table with a smirk. “I don't know you.” He stated simply with an irritated look. He was just starting to relax and suddenly this annoying person started bothering him. Just as he was about to get up and go somewhere else, it hit him that the stranger had called him a 49 days traveler. Immediately he reached up to grab his necklace out of panic. “What. . .did you. . You called me. . .”

 

“Don't worry. I'm not part of this world, so you won't be sent to the elevator for me knowing.”

 

Heechul let out a sigh of relief and visibly relaxed Siwon's body. “Well that's good then. But who are you?”

 

“Hangeng didn't tell you about me? Wow. . .I thought we were close friends.” The stranger pouted. “I'm Jongwoon.”

 

Heechul tilted his head. “Are you a scheduler too then? Since you know Hangeng?”

 

“Sort of. I make sure the schedulers don't screw up their jobs. You know, keep them on task.” Jongwoon said with a nod. Heechul looked up at Jongwoon with a skeptical gaze.

 

“Is Hangeng here now? Is that why you're here?” Heechul asked and pointed at the restaurant. Jongwoon looked at the restaurant with a sad smile and shook his head.

 

“No he isn't. I just come here sometimes. . .just because.” Jongwoon said softly.

 

Heechul wanted to ask more questions but Ryeowook appeared in the doorway of the shop, looking straight past Jongwoon. “Siwon-ah, Zhoumi has finished tailoring your uniform. Come try it on to see if there is any more needed alterations.” He said softly. Heechul lowered his gaze and slightly dipped his head as he stood, making it look more like he was getting out of a chair than bowing. Normal people couldn't see or hear the schedulers, so he didn't want to seem crazy by bowing and talking when others couldn't see the man standing there. Heechul followed Ryeowook inside, leaving Jongwoon standing alone on the patio. Jongwoon turned and watched the two leave, his eyes focused on the shorter man.

 

“No. . .Hangeng isn't here. Everything I am is here.”

 

-~-~-~-~-~-~

 

“Yobbeo, please. . .I can stay with him so please just go home and rest.”

 

Heechul's father stood behind his wife at Heechul's bedside. Their son had been laying in a coma at the hospital for two days now and his wife hadn't left their son's side. She had been crying on and off over the situation and Heechul's father couldn't take it anymore. She needed rest, but she refused to leave her son's side.

 

“Heechul wouldn't want his mother to be here crying over him. He would want you to go shopping and make yourself feel better.”

 

Heechul's mother shook off her husband's hand and held her son's limp hand. “How can I go shopping when my only son is like this. . .Heechul is such a good boy, he doesn't deserve this!” She said as fresh tears started to fill her eyes.

 

“Yobbeo Heechul would hate to see you crying like this. You know how much he loves you.” He said as he tried to convince his wife to get some rest. “He always said your complexion was too good to waste by not getting rest. So please just go sleep some and then you can come right back. Hm? You can even sleep here if you want, on the couch.” He pleaded. Just then the door to the room opened and a tall brunette haired man appeared in the doorway.

 

“Oh Mr. and Mrs. Kim.” The man said as he bowed. “I'm sorry if this is a bad time-”

 

“No its alright Kyuhyun. Come on in.”

 

“We brought food for you two. . .I thought you might be hungry.” Kyuhyun said with a smile as a shorter blonde hair man followed him into the room with a bag of food.

 

“Yobbeo, Kyuhyun and Sungmin have come to eat with us.” Heechul's father said as he helped his wife up from the floor where she had been kneeling. “We can eat in here, with Heechul so he won't be lonely.”

 

A few minutes later, boxes of food brought from the nearby italian restaurant were spread out on the coffee table on the other side of the room. Kyuhyun put his hands on his knees as he bowed his head. “I'm sorry we couldn't come to visit sooner. . .”

 

“It's alright dear. It couldn't have been helped.” Heechul's mother said as she wiped the drying tears off her cheeks and sniffled. “You didn't have to rush over here so fast. You could have finished your honeymoon before coming back.”

 

“Heechul is our best friend. Neither of us would have felt right if we had stayed away after hearing that he was injured like this.” Kyuhyun explained and Sungmin nodded. “We rushed over as soon as we heard but with the flights and layovers we just got back. . .”

 

“It's good that Heechul has good friends like you.” Heechul's father said as he served paper plates of food to everyone. “Not like that Donghae fellow. I don't know what Heechul sees in him.” Heechul's mother put her hand on her husband's arm.

 

“Yobbeo just put him out of your mind. Don't hate Donghae because Heechul was on his way to see him when the accident happened. Let's just focus on Heechul getting better right now.” She said softly before biting her lip to keep from crying again.

 

“Don't worry. We will be here to support Heechul too so you guys can rest.” Sungmin said with a slight smile. He had to be strong for Heechul and his family and if he started to cry now he wouldn't be able to stop.

 

“Thank you both. I don't know what we would do without you.” Heechul's father said with a small smile. Heechul really found amazing friends in Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

 

If only he could have the same judgement when it came to picking his boyfriend. . . He thought before shoving noodles into his mouth.

 

Hopefully eating the delicious food would take his mind off everything else so he could focus on Heechul and his wife for now.

 

-~-~-~-~-~-

 

“Donghae. . .”

 

“hm?”

 

“Shouldn't we go see Heechul? Sungmin said he was in bad condition. . .He's my friend . . . shouldn't I go at least?”

 

“Hyukjae, I know you're his friend but we have to start distancing ourselves. His accident came at the perfect time and this way we can stay away. His parents don't like me so I can use that as a reason to keep away from the hospital. You can't be close to them if you want our plan to work.” Donghae said as he sat up and slid out of bed, pulling a robe over his form.

 

Hyukjae watched as Donghae moved out of the bed and he bit his lip. “Hae our plans didn't account for Heechul getting into an accident. I don't feel right doing this when he is like that. . .”

 

“Hyukkie didn't I tell you that you have to put away your feelings for him if you want this to work? You know we can't be happy together as long as he is around.” Donghae said with a sigh as he looked back at his lover.

 

“I know you're doing it for us but I still don't like you pretending to be his lover just to get close to him. . . You could have just been Heechul's friend. . .” Hyukjae sighed.

 

“I haven't been in his life as long as you and Kyuhyun have. The easiest way to gain someone's trust without long term friendship beforehand is to date them. This is all for the best Hyukkie.” Donghae said over his shoulder as he walked out of the room to the kitchen. Hyukjae sat alone in the bed with a frown. He really hated to do this to Heechul but he had no other choice. Donghae said it had to be this way if he wanted them to be happy together.

 

And as much as he loved Heechul, Donghae was the one he couldn't live without.

 

-~-~-~-~-~

 

Heechul trudged home after spending a few hours at the restaurant working. It was only his first day but he had to practice serving food for the dinner shift the next day.

 

“Aish working me so hard. . .If I was in my own body I wouldn't have to go through all of this.” Heechul groaned and tried to rub the soreness out of his arms. “This guy must not exercise at all . . .Just walking up this hill is killing me.”

 

“Not everyone has time to spare to exercise you know. You grew up too pampered.”

 

Heechul spun around as the new voice joined him. He sighed heavily and made an annoyed face at Hangeng for startling him. “Why do you pop out of nowhere like that? Can't you just approach people like a normal human?”

 

“Do I look like a human?” Hangeng said easily. “I'm a scheduler. I do what I want.”

 

“Whatever. Why are you here?”

 

“I heard you met with Jongwoon.”

 

Heechul blinked before a mischievous smile spread across his features. “What's this? Are you jealous?”

 

Hangeng scoffed at Heechul's assumption. “What? No. You aren't my type at all.” Hangeng shook his head. “Jongwoon may seem friendly but he has his own agenda and problems too. Don't let your guard down just because you talked with him for a little bit. If you do something that causes you to reveal your identity and your necklace breaks I can't help you.”

 

Heechul waved Hangeng's words away. “Yeah yeah okay I get it don't hang out with the creepy scheduler. I'm too tired for this kind of talk now. . . If you aren't going to entertain me then go away.”

 

“Entertain you? I have better things to do with my time.” Hangeng sneered. “Besides I have an appointment. I just wanted to tell you to be careful of Jongwoon.” He said easily before snapping his fingers and disappearing. Heechul shrugged and walked inside Siwon's house. He had more things to worry about than whether Hangeng was going to stick around or not.

 

Heechul stepped across the room and changed back into Siwon's tattered and worn clothing. He sighed as he looked at the clothes and sat down on the blankets that served for a bed. Why would someone choose to live this way? Working nights at a convenience store while simply going through the motions and living off of ramen isn't bad or anything but this guy doesn't seem to do much else. . . Heechul mused as he looked at his phone and saw it was almost time to let Siwon have his body back. He sighed and leaned back on the pillows and closed his eyes, letting the darkness fill his mind.

 

The next thing he knew he had rolled onto the floor and was face to face with Siwon's sleeping form.

 

Heechul stood up and looked at his spirit self, finally glad to be able to see his own hands instead of Siwon's. He looked down at the sleeping man with eyes filled with pity before he ran to the door, only to realize that he couldn't open it now that he was in his spirit form.

 

“Shoot! Maybe if I go back in his body and open the door-” Just as he spun around to quickly take over the man's sleeping body Siwon stirred and his eyes opened. Heechul cursed as his chance to get out of the apartment was ruined. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the sleek black phone Hangeng had given him for emergencies and pushed the button for scheduler repeatedly.

 

“What's taking him so long?! I have to get out of here and go to the hospital!” Heechul shouted. Siwon got out of bed, oblivious to the angry spirit shouting in the small entryway.

 

Just then an irritated looking Hangeng appeared in the screen's reflection and Heechul turned to the scheduler.

 

“What's the emergency? Nothing seems wrong here.” Hangeng said as he looked around the room. Siwon had wandered into the bathroom, unknowingly leaving the two spirits alone in his kitchen.

 

Heechul pointed at the door with a pout. “I can't open it! This is so stupid if I'm a spirit why can't I walk through walls and stuff?”

 

“You aren't entirely a spirit. Your body isn't dead.”

 

Heechul stomped his foot a little in his frustration. “Open the door then! I have to leave here!”

 

Hangeng looked at the door before eyeing Heechul. “I don't know if I told you this before but schedulers don't get involved in human lives. You should have thought about how you were going to get out before you left Siwon's body.”

 

“What so you won't help me?!” Heechul screamed. Hangeng just looked at his watch and shifted his weight to his other foot.

 

“I just told you I can't. Besides I have appointments to keep.” He shrugged before he eyed the room around them. “And don't call me back here. This room makes me depressed for some reason.” He said before he snapped his fingers and left Heechul alone again. Heechul groaned at Hangeng's lack of help and decided to wait for Siwon to leave for work to leave the house. It didn't take long and Heechul was let out of the house as he left for his convenience store job.

 

“I will see you later then.” Heechul said with a slight wave to Siwon as the man trudged towards the store. He wanted to be nice to the man, since it seemed like he had no one else. Heechul never knew what it felt like to be alone, but the way Siwon acted indicated it was a horrible feeling. He wanted to be nice to the man, even if Siwon would never know about it.

 

With that thought, Heechul made his way to the hospital and made a mental note to eat better while he was in Siwon's body. If that was the only way he could show his appreciation for using Siwon's body then he would do it without fail.

 

It was the least he could do for a man who looked broken beyond repair.

 

-------

A/N: Thanks for everyone who has been reading and I apologize for the late update ^^ This one is short but I hope you guys enjoy it until the next update :D

-Blue