Chapter 1

49 Days

What is happening?

I thought I was in pain. . .I could have sworn I felt pain but now I feel. . .good. Why is everyone crying? Hey stop crying. . .I'm fine see? Don't you hear me?


“They can't hear you.”

Shindong jumped a bit as he looked at the foot of the hospital bed where he was laying. A tall man with dark hair in a black suit stood there with sad eyes as he looked at him.

“What are you talking about? Mother! Mother I'm alright see? Don't cry! I'm healthy!” Shindong reached out his hand to touch his mother but his hand became transparent and passed right through her. Shindong's eyes widened as he started to panic. “H-Hey what's the matter with me?!” Shindong said with a trembling voice as he got up and stood on the bed, trying to get his family's attention. “I'm right here! Don't you see me?!” When he turned around to try and talk to his father he saw himself laying on the bed with his eyes closed.

And that was when he finally noticed the steady tone of a heart monitor reading zero next to his bed.

Shindong spun around and saw the tall man still staring at him. “You can see me right?” He asked shakily, as he knelt down and leaned closer to the man. “Why is my body like this? Why am I moving if my body is like this?!” He asked as he pointed to his body.

“A soul has no use for a dead body.” The man said simply and realization spread across Shindong's face. He looked around at everyone crying and at his body before he turned to the man in the suit.

“I'm. . .dead?”

“Yes.” The man said before looking at his watch. “It's time. Let's go.” He his heel and started to walk away before Shindong jumped off the bed and followed after him.

“If I can see you then does that mean you are dead too?”

“I'm a scheduler.”

“What's that? A grim reaper?”

“I take people from this world to the next at their scheduled time of death. Not a grim reaper, a scheduler.” The man said before stopping at the end of the hallway. He moved his hands and an elevator materialized in front of them. The scheduler turned to Shindong and stepped to the side so he could step on. “This will take you wherever you're destined to go.”

Shindong stepped towards the elevator before he turned to look back down the hallway at the room where his family was crying for him. He bit his lip to keep from crying before he turned back to the elevator and stepped onto it. When he turned around and saw the scheduler watching him he couldn't help the tears that started to fall. The scheduler smiled softly at him as the doors began to close.

And then everything disappeared.