Chapter 3

This Heart of Mine

“I don’t think she’s supposed to look like this.” The young girl heard a man whispered close to her left ear. His voice was so scratchy it sounded as if he had not used his voice for a long time.

A hand roughly grabbed her face and turned her face side to side examining her as if she was interesting specimen, an experiment. “What was she suppose to look like again? Show me that picture of her…you know the one in her wedding dress with her groom.” Another man’s loud voice vibrated through out the room.

The girl kept her eyes tightly shut, she knew the man with the loud voice was in charge. She was lying down on a flat surface, vulnerable and defenseless. But she was not afraid…she was used to these two strange men.

Here they go again, examining her face, and probing her…it’s been like this for so long, the girl forgot how long she had been in that tiny room.

Wait…Wedding dress? The girl frowned, she didn’t remember getting married…was she married, and if she did…when did that happen? It seems impossible for someone to forget their wedding day. Who did she married??? She wish she could speak, but for some reason she couldn’t move . She could only wait, wait for the two men to discuss about her…hoping to hear more of how she came to be in this vegetated state, why she couldn’t move…and why no one she loved came to visit her.

“Aw, doc you messed up again! She looks nothing like the girl in this picture!” The scratchy voice man groaned. There was a moment of silence, and the loud man laughed ironically.

“You’re right…what did I do wrong?” He wondered out loud, the girl could hear the question in his voice as if he was pondering how he made such an error.

“It doesn’t matter doc, you save her life she owes you big time! Besides, she’s a pretty thing even with a different face from that picture. You think she’ll be shock when she wakes up?” Scratchy voice asked.

“I don’t know. It’s a pity I really tried to reconstruct her face to look exactly the way it was before…before that fire.” The girl could hear the man’s sad defeated voice. She tried to move her hands, she wanted to say ‘thank you’ but she couldn’t move .

‘Doc! Doc! She moved her fingers!”

“Girl! Girl! Can you open your eyes!” The two men shouted at the same time. Again the girl opens and again she couldn’t.

She opened her eyes and stared at the two chubby faces staring expectedly at her. The thinner one with the balding head was the doctor, and the chubbier one with the circle face was the assistant.

“Dong, remove the seal…I think she’s trying to talk.” The doctor said. The girl felt something tugged and she felt something lift from the corner of her lips. The seal was gently lifted and she could feel a little sting. She wondered what it was that was covering her, she didn’t realize was actually sealed.

“Careful…you are still healing. Speak slowly and tried not to open your mouth too wide.” The doctor ordered.

The young girl nodded her head. She opened and was surprised that it did not hurt like it used to.

“Rainie…call me Rainie.” She said softly. She stared at the two men, her eyes filled with grateful tears she whispered,

“Thank you.”

She wanted to say more, she wanted to thank them for saving her, for taking care of her, for keeping her alive…but she was suddenly tired again. Rainie saw the two men smiled gently at her in understanding. A warm hand patted her on the head and the other hand, the rougher one patted her on the cheek. She almost grin, the rough hand belonged to the doctor. Maybe that was the mistake…if she looked nothing like she used to, it meant he didn’t have the hands of a doctor. Of course she was not going to tell him that, after all he was treating her for free. She closed her eyes, resting and saving her strengths.

Again her mind drifted into a dream, she was being pulled out of a burning car her body scorched with fire, hot molting burning fire that cooked her from the head to toes…and on the sideline staring motionlessly at her was…the man she loved, the man she trusted, the man she thought also loved her…Aaron Yan.