Chapter 4

This Heart of Mine

Grandma Yan went out of her way to make Ariel feel unwelcome and unwanted. The moment the young girl stepped inside the house the older woman was already waiting impatiently with a cane in her hand. She lifted the cane and swapped Ariel on the knees in greeting."Grandma!" Aaron stepped in front of Ariel and grab hold of the cane.

"I don't like her. I didn't invite her!" Grandma Yan hissed and yanked the cane out of Aaron's hand.

"I told you I have something important to talk to you about, but no you just have to bring that country farm trash with you! I want her out of my house!" Grandma Yan crossed her arms with a pout on her face.

Ariel rolled her eyes at the old bat, turned and walked out the door. She knew it was a bad idea coming with Aaron.

“ Ariel!” Aaron tried to run after his girlfriend but the door was immediately locked by his grandma’s bulky in home nurse.

“Her name is Rainie. Silly girl thinking she could just go and change her name just because she lost her memories! I say good riddance!” Grandma Yan humped and pointed her finger at her grandson.

“Tonight’s dinner is very important. You must stay and listen.” Grandma barked her order and walked inside the dining room. With a frustrated sigh, Aaron followed her into the dining room.

The table was filled with delicious foods, all of Aaron’s favorites. The young man wondered why his granny could be so loving towards him but so cruel to others. She was a stubborn woman too, if she takes a liking to something nothing could change her mind…and if she dislikes something even if on her deathbed she still wouldn’t change her mind. Unfortunately for whatever reason, his grandma never liked Rainie…also known as Ariel.

“You have one week to break up with that country girl. The week after that you will meet the girl I have chosen for you.”

Aaron pretended he didn’t hear her and continued eating.

“She has a beautiful name, Lilac Cheng, twenty years old recently back from America. I was told she is fluent in English and was a valedictorian in high school and college. She’s finishing up the last two years of college at Taipei College. My best friend, your auntie Mai said Lilac is as beautiful and delicate as her name, she’s a perfect match for you.”

Grandma Yan’s hands were waving in the air as she spoke as if she was painting a beautiful picture. Aaron snorted not bothering to hide his disdain.

"Not interested."

"I made a promise with auntie Mai, you have to meet her."

"You asked me here and made a complete fool of yourself in front of Ariel just to tell me this? Grandma!" Aaron stood up and threw the napkin on the table angrily. He was sick and tired of his grandma's match making tactics.

"You didn't even give Ariel a chance! Don't judge her until you get to know her."

"I know a lot more about her than you grandson. Don't ever forget your status and your lineage. How could I, as the matriarch of this family allow you to be a woman with such dirty low lineage and background?" Grandma Yan felt her chest tightens and quickly waved for the bulky nurse.

"Bao hurry!" The nurse gave her the inhaler.

"What do you mean a dirty lineage? Grandma you investigated Ariel's family?" Aaron felt anger rising, his grandma had gone too far.

"I found a lot of interesting thing about the Lin family...things about Ariel that will dirty our name if you were to marry her. Enough, as the head of this family I order you meet Lilac Cheng next week." Grandma Yan handed nurse Bao her inhaler and continued to eat unaffected by the stunned expression on her grandson's face.

"Grandma I don't care about lineages or family line. I marry whoever I want. By the way, I am not meeting Lilac Cheng. "

"Auntie Mai donated blood, the doctor thought I was beyond help but Auntie Mai, Lilac's grandma donated her blood to save my life. This is something you must do to save my face, I already promise Mai." Grandma Yan stopped eating and waited. Guilt...was grandma Yan's secret weapon. She observed the conflicting emotions on her grandson's face and knew in the end he would be filial.

"Fine, I'll do as you say. Just one meeting. I already have somebody I care about grandma. Please consider my feelings first you make decisions for me." Aaron sighed, kissed his grandma on the cheek before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aaron frowned as he stared at the girl standing in front of him. Did his grandma give him the wrong address? The girl standing in front of him was not nothing like a delicate Lilac, nor was she beautiful.

He couldn't stop staring at her. She was dressed from head to toe in black, her eyes were darkened with eyeliner, her lips were blood red with dark liner and her nails were painted black. Aaron noticed her long black hair was pulled back and tied with a black clip. He couldn't help thinking she loved the color black.

"Lilac?" He asked. She nodded and took a step back opening the door for him. Awkwardly he took a few steps inside the one bedroom apartment. Again he was reminded of her favorite color. Everything from the window blind to the furniture were all in black. Lilac pulled out a paper and handed him a black pen.

"Sign." She said. Aaron took the paper and glanced over the content. He felt like laughing after reading.

"Lilac Cheng hate Aaron Yan, Aaron Yan hate me Lilac Cheng. We met, we hate, good bye?"

Lilac nodded with a bored look. Aaron didn't know how to react, she was completely different from his grandma's description.

"Ahh...I..."

"Sign." She repeated pointing to the paper in his hand. Aaron shrugged, signed and handed her the paper and pen.

She opened the door and waited for him to exit. Once he stepped outside the door the door was shut without a goodbye. Aaron shrugged, what a strange girl. His body shudder just thinking about her strangeness and what was with all the black colors? Delicate beautiful lilac flower? What a joke. Aaron shook his head and quickly left.